Author Topic: Fwang Tung Carmbola Star Fruit Tree  (Read 4050 times)

Brando

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Fwang Tung Carmbola Star Fruit Tree
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »
Hey all.  I just bought a Fwang Tung Carmbola Star Fruit Tree ( 5 gallon) and just read that it may or not be self fruiting.

Can someone reply if I will have to plant another tree near or next to it in order for it to produce fruit.

Also, what variety should I get if needed since there are short and long flowers. I read mine (Fwang Tung) is the short flowers.

Thanks in advance Brando.

vandau

• Orlando 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fwang Tung Carmbola Star Fruit Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:04:22 AM »
My Fwang Tung fruits fine on its own. So no worries.

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:41:52 AM »
My fwang tung fruits very well by itself too...

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »
So from what Adam said a while back, I may have the fake Fwang Tung (that zills propagates)....anyhow, I noticed that the rodents in my area found this one cultivar irresistible.  They chewed right through the side flanges while the fruit was still on the tree.  I picked the last one in disgust and brought it inside.  The damned thing chewed his way into the house to get some more.  :o :-[ >:(

The part that I did try was VERY juicy, but now I am not sure what to do as I am not trying to attract more rodents than I already have...and I really can't bring the fruit inside if this is the behavior that results. 

Anyone else have issues with pests eating your FT more than other carambolas.  They wouldn't touch the Sri Ks and only ate the Kari after the FT was bare.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »
gunnar you need to adopt a cat. just make sure its spayed/neutered

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:39:10 PM »
Ive had rodents eat my dwarf maher, dwarf hawaiian carambolas and young sapodilla fruits. Cant grow anything here with some pest interfering with them. From mangoes (rats as well) to green maturing bananas 😞.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »

I know right?  My wife is allergic  ::), but c'mon, this is fruit we are talking about!  ;)  I may need to find a way to keep one around the yard.  I actually saw a neighbor's cat climbing my banana stalks last night, so maybe with a better strategy (catnip?), I can lure them to the yard
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »
Ive had rodents eat my dwarf maher, dwarf hawaiian carambolas and young sapodilla fruits. Cant grow anything here with some pest interfering with them. From mangoes (rats as well) to green maturing bananas 😞.

I know, but this variety is like heroin to them....have they ever chewed into your house for sapodilla or dwarf hawaiian? Just sayin'
~Jeff

fourseasonsflorida

• Where the subtropical and temperate meet...
    • USA, Florida, Titusville, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 03:44:52 PM »
If FT is so irresistible for rodents, I'm steering clear of it.  I've had enough rodents attack my Dwarf Hawaiian!  I don't recall rodents attacking my Kari from my old house.  I'm planning on growing it again, so it will be interesting to see which variety they go after more.
Nate

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »

I know right?  My wife is allergic  ::), but c'mon, this is fruit we are talking about!  ;)  I may need to find a way to keep one around the yard.  I actually saw a neighbor's cat climbing my banana stalks last night, so maybe with a better strategy (catnip?), I can lure them to the yard

I am allergic to cats (scored highest possible on allergy testing). We have 5 outdoor cats on squirrel patrol. I have no problems with allergies. We found the lean, male adult cats from the animal shelter are the best at controlling squirrels/rats/moles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk