Author Topic: Surinam Cherry  (Read 6291 times)

PR-Giants

• PR-Caribbean
    • View Profile
Surinam Cherry
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
Surinam Cherry taste good & grow to a nice size in Puerto Rico.

screen shot windows
"Brazilian. The fruit is subacid and of poor quality; it has little to recommend it as a dessert banana, and its acceptance in Hawaii seems to be a good example of the power of need and habit in influencing the demands of a market." - Norman Simmonds

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Surinam Cherry
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 06:14:34 PM »
Mmmmm......look good!

Gary

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »
I have been eating a lot of surinam cherries lately, and a fruit that I once despised has become a fruit that I crave!

There is some variation among seedlings planted for ornamental purposes, but I realize that I was eating them before they were fully-ripe.  When ripe, they should be ready to fall off the tree, plump, juicy, and the skin should be delicate.  I also found out that the fruit is very nutritious in addition to being aesthetically pleasing, productive, hardy, and useful as an insect repellent.  The fruit is rich in vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, iron, riboflavin and niacin, as well as being an excellent source of vitamin A. The Surinam cherry fruit is also rich in the antioxidants lycopene, beta-cryptoxanthin, gamma-carotene and rubixanthin.

Viva las pitangas!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
I recently ate my first Lolita pitanga from a very small plant still in a very small bag. It had that nasty flavor/aftertaste some call resinous, though I'm not quite sure what to call it. It was ripe, because I waited until it fell off the plant when I touched it. I'm hoping that this was due to the small plant size and that it was the first (and only) fruit - someone please tell me the flavor will improve!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
I recently ate my first Lolita pitanga from a very small plant still in a very small bag. It had that nasty flavor/aftertaste some call resinous, though I'm not quite sure what to call it. It was ripe, because I waited until it fell off the plant when I touched it. I'm hoping that this was due to the small plant size and that it was the first (and only) fruit - someone please tell me the flavor will improve!

Was it a grafted/known "variety" or just a random seedling?  If just a random seedling, it may fall under the "is what it is" category.
- Rob

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
From what i understand Lolita is a superior red cultivar. i have never been able to find one myself.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
well it wasn't grafted, but it also wasn't random. it's a seedling of Lolita. yes, I know, seedlings are not clones. but I have read that pitanga fruit quality tends to improve after a couple of harvests - fingers crossed that's the case.

Lolita is a superior almost-black cultivar.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
well it wasn't grafted, but it also wasn't random. it's a seedling of Lolita. yes, I know, seedlings are not clones. but I have read that pitanga fruit quality tends to improve after a couple of harvests - fingers crossed that's the case.

I find they are also better when well cared cor with attention to fertilizer and especially water to make fruits plump and juicy.
- Rob

Zibnaf

• Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
I've been growing Surinam Cherry plants in pots, indoors, in my condo.  I'm on track for going from seeds to first harvest in under two years.  They seem to be the easiest of the tropical fruit I'm trying to grow indoors.  Below is a picture of just one of fruit, but the plants are covered in them. 

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »

I find they are also better when well cared cor with attention to fertilizer and especially water to make fruits plump and juicy
agreed.  I also read that slicing them, removing seed, and refrigerating for a couple hours removes much of the resinous flavor/smell.  The eat the weeds guy has a surinam cherry chiffon pie recipe on his site.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »

I find they are also better when well cared cor with attention to fertilizer and especially water to make fruits plump and juicy
agreed.  I also read that slicing them, removing seed, and refrigerating for a couple hours removes much of the resinous flavor/smell.  The eat the weeds guy has a surinam cherry chiffon pie recipe on his site.

I would love to make a Surinam gelato or sorbetto.
- Rob

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »
Next time I get fruit I will for sure try the fridge technique.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »
I've been growing Surinam Cherry plants in pots, indoors, in my condo.  I'm on track for going from seeds to first harvest in under two years.  They seem to be the easiest of the tropical fruit I'm trying to grow indoors.  Below is a picture of just one of fruit, but the plants are covered in them. 

What pot gallon are u growing them in? Is it ok if.u cud upload a full photo of ur surinam? Thanks

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 10:47:51 PM »
So I found this description on the Purdue site:
"For table use, they are best slit vertically on one side, spread open to release the seed(s), and kept chilled for 2 or 3 hours to dispel most of their resinously aromatic character. If seeded and sprinkled with sugar before placing in the refrigerator, they will become mild and sweet and will exude much juice and serve very well instead of strawberries on shortcake and topped with whipped cream. They are an excellent addition to fruit cups, salads and custard pudding; also ice cream; and can be made into pie or sauce or preserved whole in sirup. They are often made into jam, jelly, relish or pickles. Brazilians ferment the juice into vinegar or wine, and sometimes prepare a distilled liquor."

I have 2 small plants that are flushing leaves now - a red, and a black. So can anyone tell me, if there is a range of years (online indicated anywhere from 2-10 depending on conditions) when these will first bear fruit, roughly what size would you say a plant needs to be to flower? 3g? 7g? Any general ft size you could state? Both of my plants have grown exceptionally slowly thus far, being in the ground probably over a year and a half, and are still only just now probably graduating from 1gal to about 3gal size - maybe 2ft high? The red cherry started out a decent size, but lost all but one branch to spider mite. Now that's eradicated, and thankfully the plant has recovered well but just has a long way to go to reach starting size again. The black cherry started out tiny and has just been a really slow grower. I would love for either to push flowers this year, but I don't want to get my hopes up if I have no chance. I've never tasted one before.

I have 2 barbados cherries/acerola - would you say the fruiting size is at all similar? Those grow fairly rapidly though, and have put out a lot of flowers easily (although getting them to set fruit is sometimes a problem). Once they were about 3g size they put out flowers and a few fruit (part of the fruit problem might be that birds are getting them before I do - I know that has happened to at least the fruit I noticed forming. This year I will be netting both barbados cherries, and any surinam cherries, that happen to set fruit, so I finally get them to myself! 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 10:57:40 PM »
If both cared for equally and properly,  the Surinam fruit can get bigger.  They are both excellent tasting fruit.  The Barbados has a more tart feature and of course, loads of vitamin C.
- Rob

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 11:00:45 PM »
If both cared for equally and properly,  the Surinam fruit can get bigger.  They are both excellent tasting fruit.  The Barbados has a more tart feature and of course, loads of vitamin C.

I mean though, how big does the plant need to be roughly before it sets its first fruit? Comparative to acerola, like around 3g size? If so, I doubt either will fruit before next year. But if 2 years is enough even for a plant that is barely even 2ft x 6inches wide, then I have a shot!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 11:05:13 PM »

I mean though, how big does the plant need to be roughly before it sets its first fruit? Comparative to acerola, like around 3g size? If so, I doubt either will fruit before next year. But if 2 years is enough even for a plant that is barely even 2ft x 6inches wide, then I have a shot!

Oops, sorry.  I h ave seen very small Barbados fruit.  Surinam will fruit young but I would say it has to be a little older to fruit.I gave seen both fruiting in 3 gal but at that size, approx 3 feet or less, the Barbados will give more/consistent fruit.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 11:15:23 PM »
Rob, you describe acerola/Barbados Cherry as excellent-tasting???  Am I missing something? I find them to be bland...not bad, but far from excellent--maybe I have a bad cultivar.  Mine s flowering so with any luck, I will get to confirm my prior tasting.
~Jeff

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 11:21:45 PM »
My plants are about a foot tall, about a year and a half to 2 years old and they're starting to flower, though only one set one fruit so far. I think they're being precocious because they're still in small nursery bags, and don't have much else to do!  :P

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 11:22:15 PM »
Rob, you describe acerola/Barbados Cherry as excellent-tasting???  Am I missing something? I find them to be bland...not bad, but far from excellent--maybe I have a bad cultivar.  Mine s flowering so with any luck, I will get to confirm my prior tasting.

You are right, some are mild or as you said, bland.  The better ones have vibrant, pronounced distinct flavors.
- Rob

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
Thanks for the replies! At least I know there is a possibility of some flowers this year, although I may have to wait at least another year to see them.

As for acerola/barbados cherry, I have no idea how one could call the taste bland! I have never had the chance to have a fully ripe one, but even the half-ripe ones I've eaten were like sour cherries mixed with lime. I liked the flavor, and enjoyed it straight off the plant. But, even if one didn't like it, it certainly has a strong flavor. That's like calling lemons bland... they have too much acid to bore you when you put them in your mouth! I am really looking forward this time around to getting to eat them fully ripe, since I will be netting them to prevent the birds from stealing my chances away!

Sounds like the surinam cherries aren't bland either, although apparently this cutting and refrigeration technique may be necessary for many of them to have a pleasant flavor - especially the random red landscaping varieties.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
If its a good surinam,  i like straight off the tree.  Eat the flesh and spit out the seed.
- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 03:15:51 PM »
Surinam cherry can get that bad taste if the plant is stressed, like not enough water. My same tree will produce good fruit and bitter fruit depending on the season. Winter fruits are bad.

Zibnaf

• Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 05:50:37 PM »
This is a full picture of my Surinam Cherry plants.  They were started from seed in Root Builder 3 pots and recently upsized to Root Builder 5 pots.  You can't really tell from this picture, but at ~20 months old they are covered in fruit.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 06:02:36 PM »
This is a full picture of my Surinam Cherry plants.  They were started from seed in Root Builder 3 pots and recently upsized to Root Builder 5 pots.  You can't really tell from this picture, but at ~20 months old they are covered in fruit.

Congrats nice plants

Do you have them fruiting inside your house, like a house plant?

Not in a greenhouse with humidity? Or maybe you keep them outside most of the time?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk