Author Topic: Diffuser technology  (Read 2479 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Diffuser technology
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »
I just happened upon information on Diffuser Technology.  and believe this could be a very important system for people in arid areas or where water is expensive, or hard to get.

Some of the main features of this system are:

> Uses about 1/3 amount of water compared to traditional drip irrigation.
> works with low pressure, gravity fed systems*
> You irrigate the roots and not the top soil, so you have less weed problems. which also translates into
   less or no need for herbicides.

I have no idea how much these things cost or if they are made by other companies, below is a link to a pdf manual from one company.  I think there is a patent on this tech.

To me, the most attractive part of this is that they work on gravity systems, which means I do not need a big pump, that would easily be swiped by crooks. also in remote areas there is no power available.

www.chahtech.com/doc/en/Buried-Diffuser-English-Report-December2012.pdf

Anyone have experience with this?

here is a video on a similar setup, but they use Terracotta pipes embedded into the ground around the trees. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyBU4dtoTuM#

One more link to the "draining floater" which looks like a cool "new" low tech way of extracting water from sources, to use for irrigation

www.chahtech.com/doc/en/Draining-Floater-December2012.pdf
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:51:21 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Diffuser technology
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
I wonder how fertilizing works. The document says no leaching, but I don't see how it gets to the plant without some top watering.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Diffuser technology
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
I wonder how fertilizing works. The document says no leaching, but I don't see how it gets to the plant without some top watering.

I was wondering the same thing,  although I know if your using soluble fertilizer ( fertigation ) I can see how this works.  but for manures and other solid fertilizers, I see some difficulties.

I did come across an article where trenches were made along the diffusers, for fertilizers.  that seems a bit labor intensive.

I think these systems would best be used in really bad soils in arid areas.  in essence its like hydroponics in the ground.   

Although i know they are using this technology for mangoes also,  I wonder about the nutrients getting to all the roots, as mango trees have most of their feeding roots close to the surface.

Of course if you do get "some rain" and irrigation is just for dry periods I do not see any problem here.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "