Author Topic: Bailey's Marvel,Champagne from seed.  (Read 1917 times)

Stan

Bailey's Marvel,Champagne from seed.
« on: June 06, 2016, 06:39:15 PM »
The Bailey's I bought in 2011..it grew fast in a pot until 2012 when it was killed to a stick of about a foot in 2012. I went ahead and planted it in 2013 in the ground. A few fruit in 2014 and a few more in 2015..and its now about 6'. Hefty trunk for 6'. Ventura like :D
The Champagne (going by the label) was started in winter of 2014..now in its third summer. I have big hopes for this. Its proven hardy and fairly fast. The only reason I even saved and planted the seed was because it was the most delicious little yellow mango I ever had. We all thought that. This one even sprouted into large leafs out of the husk. None of that tiny leaf. So,its vigor I hope carries on the day it goes into the ground.
So Bay Area people,keep trying!

Baileys:

Champagne:

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Bailey's Marvel,Champagne from seed.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:11:02 PM »
Nice update, it would have probably grow even better if you planted the Champaigne mango seed directly in the ground. I see your seedling has a nice trunk but the lot will restrict its growth, less so if it sends some roots through the drainage holes and into the ground.

There may be variability in fruit quality, even with polyembryonic mango seedlings. Please keep us updated!

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »
Hey Stan good start. I see a lot of open branches you should try your hand at multi grafting BM and Ataulfo are mediocre mangos. 

Stan

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
I think after this last Champagne flush hardens..I think will plant it. It will be just right size and the rootball looks solid.

JF,I dunno about mediocre. Compared to market Mangoes, Baileys was much better. Still,If I get the chance to make a side trunk or large branch something better,I will listen. Why not?
I would usually say Baileys is cold hardier yada yada. But now,I'm in with the group that says..protect any young tree from freezing is the best idea. As far as pests disease...nothing so far.
I get the feeling Mango trees in California are not really any problems short of root rot. And that's usually just bad siting. Plant where it drains great in winter.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:01:55 PM by Stan »

Stan

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »
This is by far the latest its set fruit. Maybe it was the normal rainfall year. Still,15" of rain ain't that much ;D

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 05:16:58 PM »
Hayward and Fremont are probably the best areas in the Bay Area for trying Mango.  Very interested in how they do for you.

Stan

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
Brian, we are warmer in summer...but if I lived in any other part of the bay area? I wouldn't hesitate to plant. Oakland is frost free. San Leandro just about. I've seen Ficus benjamina as a street tree in Richmond.  Plants that are not frosted back...seem to overcome not getting hot weather but just mild to warm.

A bay area zone (solid 15 Sunset) where they are cut back every year by frost and yet don't have the hot inland summers to recover? That would be the worst. Yet,I would still try. Just cover more and dead of winter heat at night for a few nights.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:54:18 PM by Stan »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
I think after this last Champagne flush hardens..I think will plant it. It will be just right size and the rootball looks solid.

JF,I dunno about mediocre. Compared to market Mangoes, Baileys was much better. Still,If I get the chance to make a side trunk or large branch something better,I will listen. Why not?
I would usually say Baileys is cold hardier yada yada. But now,I'm in with the group that says..protect any young tree from freezing is the best idea. As far as pests disease...nothing so far.
I get the feeling Mango trees in California are not really any problems short of root rot. And that's usually just bad siting. Plant where it drains great in winter.

Stanley, market mangos are garbage. In this forum we evaluate over 600 varieties our consortium, in SoCal, grow over 90 varieties. We will be offering scions in August/September in the meantime you can order scions from dongeorgio he offers scions year round.

Stan

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »
I wouldn't take a market Mango over home grown usually. I did about 10 years ago start buying from a tiny local market Mangoes from Sinaloa- huge delicious mangoes. I hated when that market closed up. Then,those Champagne 3 years ago were also near perfect.
Baileys Marvel is very good. I've seen rated high by those in Florida who might have a 1,000 types of Mangoes to choose from.

I just cut down and removed an Avocado 'mexicola' type that never made good fruit. Too small and just not buttery.
I will cut something down if its not worth it.  Bailey's stays.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
You might want to add Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Pina Colada, Ice Cream, Fruit Punch. I like Baileys Marvel but I like these even more. Good luck with your trees!

Simon

Stan

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 01:46:37 PM »
Those are hard to find..what about Julie? or Valencia Pride? I've seen those for sale around here,once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk