Author Topic: Need recs on Pineapples  (Read 4107 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Need recs on Pineapples
« on: September 05, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »
I recently picked up 5 each of Elite Gold, White Jade, Florida Special, Sugarloaf, and Smooth Cayenne.  Not sure what to add next...  Maybe Pernambuco, Spanish Red, Queen or something else?  What do you think?

And where to get them?  I can't seem to find a good source for uncommon pineapples.

Thanks.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: Need recs on Pineapples
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »
Ive been looking for the multi colored flesh pineapples especially green fleshed, I'll let you know if i find any sources.

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:57:26 AM »
I wonder if anyone can tell me what these are. got them from a guy on craigslist, who inherited them from an uncle who had a nursery. According to him, his uncle did not grow ornamental pineapples. I took a chance on them for $2 ea. can anyone I.D. ? the leaves have a red-ish coloration and are quite spiny.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:58:58 AM by horseshoe_bayou »
Mic

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 01:10:56 AM »
It looks a lot like the ornamental pink pineapple I tossed out last year. Hopefully someone with more experience will correct me.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »
horseshoe_bayou,  I'm no expert, but they might be "Spanish Red".  I think I read something about them being widespread in South Florida a long time ago until other cultivars pushed them out.  The last time I was at Fairchild, I think they had a bed of red pineapple plants that were "Spanish Red", so you might be able to compare to theirs, since you aren't too far away.

You can also compare to these:  http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2183641/my-pineapples

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 03:02:26 PM »
SonnyCrockett, I purchased them hoping they were spanish red. they look like the picture in the link but, I'll have to wait until they fruit to be sure. I really hope they are.
Mic

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »
"...I can't seem to find a good source for uncommon pineapples."

too true!  if you find one, please share.
treefrog land and cattle company

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 11:54:29 PM »
Okay...  I MAY have found a source for uncommon pineapples.  8) They want to know what varieties I am looking for.  So, the next question is: if I could ask for any varieties, what should I ask for? 

Should we attempt to answer that here or start a "Top 5 Pineapples" thread or something like that?

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »
+1 for Spanish Red I think.  I think I had a home grown Spanish Red once.  The color of the flesh & the flavor was that of a Pineapple life saver.  Fruit flavored life savers came out in 1921 and I suspect Spanish red or similar varieties of the day was the flavor they artificially copied.  It may explain why color of pineapple life savers is a very pale shade of yellow. 

The Spanish Red I had had good flavor, but wasn't tender or as sweet as the newer varieties tho it's possible it wasn't as ripe as it should have been when picked.  It was also VERY spiny reddish plant & fruit as I recall.  Red Spanish I believe was grown commercially in Florida and elsewhere at one time, but was replaced by better varieties.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what these are. got them from a guy on craigslist, who inherited them from an uncle who had a nursery. According to him, his uncle did not grow ornamental pineapples. I took a chance on them for $2 ea. can anyone I.D. ? the leaves have a red-ish coloration and are quite spiny.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:51:08 AM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »
"...I can't seem to find a good source for uncommon pineapples."

too true!  if you find one, please share.

+1

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 02:27:19 PM »
Where did you buy the Elite Gold, White Jade and other pineapples?
Thanks!

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
I recently picked up 5 each of Elite Gold, White Jade, Florida Special, Sugarloaf, and Smooth Cayenne.

Yes, where did you get these in the first place? I have not seen Elite Gold before.

Does anyone in the States know of a supplier of Indian pineapples? I am fascinated by a few of them, particularly Giant Kew. I haven't tasted any, but they are popular there so I assume they're pretty good, and that one particularly looks like it produces huge fruit.

We definitely need a good pineapple thread that lists all good varieties, and where to get them. I am amazed that pineapples are not spoken of much on this forum.

I can only say that aside from in-person purchases, some varieties can be ordered online via Top Tropicals, and some Amazon sellers.  But I have not tried the fruit to vouch for any seller in particular as yet.  For those outside the US, Amazon also has some good international tropical fruit sellers.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »
TopTropicals had them on sale a couple of weeks ago with a picture of variegated pineapple. :D I got one and received a nice size plant with a 'baby' on a side, I only wish it was variegated.  ;D

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 01:27:39 AM »
http://floridahillnursery.com/

This place has a few like Elite Gold, Smooth Cayenne and Kona white. Seems reasonably priced though I have yet to buy anything from them.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »
http://floridahillnursery.com/

This place has a few like Elite Gold, Smooth Cayenne and Kona white. Seems reasonably priced though I have yet to buy anything from them.

Thanks for that. Anybody who has experience ordering from these people, please advise. I am always looking for new online plant shipping companies, especially in FL where the shipping isn't too far and expensive for me. As I have stated elsewhere, I have lost patience with Top Tropicals, so any time I have another option I would prefer to take it. Amazon sellers are ok, but I would really love to have a one-stop-shop place, rather than dealing with individual sellers for every plant, which makes any problem become a massive headache to learn all the individual policies of that particular seller versus others.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:02:53 AM by LivingParadise »

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
Here is my thread regarding Florida Hill Nursery.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20565.msg256351;topicseen#msg256351

I would not recommend them because of their non replies to my email. 

It appears it my not be that uncommon to send the wrong item.  I have an Asian pear that fruited for the first time and it does not feel or taste like an Asian pear.  I'll see next year what it is like.  If not then I'll top work it with known varieties.  Van

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »
Here is my thread regarding Florida Hill Nursery.  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20565.msg256351;topicseen#msg256351

I would not recommend them because of their non replies to my email. 

It appears it my not be that uncommon to send the wrong item.  I have an Asian pear that fruited for the first time and it does not feel or taste like an Asian pear.  I'll see next year what it is like.  If not then I'll top work it with known varieties.  Van

Thank you - I had not seen that thread. It's too bad that they may make frequent mistakes, because they are certainly cheaper than many other options. In some cases, the relatively low price might be worth the risk to me, as long as I get SOMETHING that fruits, lol! But not for important orders...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk