Author Topic: First mango fruit of the 2016 season  (Read 25365 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: First mango fruit of the 2016 season
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
This is the most colorful Keitt I have on the tree...it must be getting more sun than any of them since the rest are just green ( no color) on the others...

Its hard to believe that this mango won't be ripe for at least 2 or more months? Does anyone have Keitts that are ripening early? I have no Keitts last year but the year before they weren't ripe till early September...

That lightening on the shohlder is sunburn.  That fruit has a long ways to go before its ready.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »
I've been eating drops from my Julie seedling and Madame Francis for awhile and my low expectations were not exceeded :-)

I just finished a Glenn drop... Mnnnn.. excellent.  Unfortunately it didn't set a huge crop. Bummer.

Regards,

Gary

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »
It is a sad day where i live......one of the Mexicans/Guatamalans digging up the yard to put in lines for Uverse stole my one and only Glenn mango on my tree.  It was the One and Only fruit that the 4-5 year old tree has grown to near edibility.  The mango was still green and hard and likely at least a week away from being harvested.  I hope the bastard pukes when he tries to eat it

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »

I just finished a Glenn drop... Mnnnn.. excellent.  Unfortunately it didn't set a huge crop. Bummer.

Glenn was a workhorse this year for us. Still have 30 or so mangoes on the tree. Unfortunately it was very washed out for us this year.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »

Glenn was a workhorse this year for us. Still have 30 or so mangoes on the tree. Unfortunately it was very washed out for us this year.

Same here: larger crop with blander flavor than usual. But as always, an incredible nose! Waiting on my first rapozas and coconut creams!

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
This is the most colorful Keitt I have on the tree...it must be getting more sun than any of them since the rest are just green ( no color) on the others...

Its hard to believe that this mango won't be ripe for at least 2 or more months? Does anyone have Keitts that are ripening early? I have no Keitts last year but the year before they weren't ripe till early September...

That lightening on the shohlder is sunburn.  That fruit has a long ways to go before its ready.

Thanks Rob!...make sense its sunburn, it's one of 2 that gets direct sun on the tree  :)...I'm okay with waiting till Sept. that way I'll have some more mangoes after the rest are gone.

Sorry about that Grassflats! I can't believe how some people think they can just help themselves to things that aren't theirs!!

I'm having the same issues with my Glenn...though I've only had 2 semi green ones ripen ( not too well)...but  noticed the 10-15" of rain I've had in the past 3 weeks have totally made them bland and watery this year  :(

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »
Thanks Pugs!  Im thinking the Glenn was gonna taste real good because we haven't had much rain here lately.  As a matter of fact, it hasnt rain here in 9 days and if it doesn't today then make it 10!  How have ur Glenns been this year Squam??

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »

Yup, almost every mango I have tasted from multiple locates has been mild/bland with only moderate sweetness (an others I have spoken to have said the same thing).  I am hoping its from being the first fruit of the season from the trees but I am beginning to have my doubts.  So far, not a very good mango season...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
Yep, been an off season in terms of mango flavor. But, that's to be expected due to the very unusual weather we had. Mangoes that are traditionally 'excellent' have been 'good." Edward has been excellent though.

Yup, almost every mango I have tasted from multiple locates has been mild/bland with only moderate sweetness (an others I have spoken to have said the same thing).  I am hoping its from being the first fruit of the season from the trees but I am beginning to have my doubts.  So far, not a very good mango season...
Jeff  :-)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2016, 11:55:13 PM »
Picked first PSM, ST Maui and Dot today. ST Maui sap smells exactly like Calabash mango from Trinidad.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
Picked my first Coconut Cream and Imam Pasand mango today. Dots are rolling in. Cushmans have been delicious. Peach like flavor with an extremely sweet exterior flesh. Last days for Julies, Pickering and PSM. Kesars and Ivorys are yellowing.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2016, 12:31:17 PM »
Picked my first Coconut Cream and Imam Pasand mango today. Dots are rolling in. Cushmans have been delicious. Peach like flavor with an extremely sweet exterior flesh. Last days for Julies, Pickering and PSM. Kesars and Ivorys are yellowing.

You rely want to pick the Kesar before full yellow.  If it is truly yellowing, pick now.  May want to even try picking some at a less advanced stage to compare.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »

You rely want to pick the Kesar before full yellow.  If it is truly yellowing, pick now.  May want to even try picking some at a less advanced stage to compare.

Rob
I picked my kesar when it started to color and it was bland. I have no idea at what stage I should harvest it I only have one left.

Fröhlich

• 9b Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2016, 03:10:28 PM »
Is this video demonstrating properly ripened Sweet Tart fruit? They seem quite green, but I have no experience with this variety. He harvests a few fruits near the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pPd4Nmq2NU

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2016, 04:50:49 PM »

Rob
I picked my kesar when it started to color and it was bland. I have no idea at what stage I should harvest it I only have one left.

The blandness could be due to multiple factors.   Could be the fruit the tree puts out this year, nutrient issue in tree, waiting too long to eat.  I have eaten Mallika and Langra that were on the tree too long and/or overripe and they lacked flavor and sweetness.

Keep in mind in India all if these varieties are picked mature green and they are chock full of flavor and sweetness.
- Rob

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2016, 01:06:34 PM »
One of my Keitts fell on the ground today...I'm going to let it ripen out in the Patio and see what happens?

It's a pretty decent size too...almost 2 lbs!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »
One of my Keitts fell on the ground today...I'm going to let it ripen out in the Patio and see what happens?

It's a pretty decent size too...almost 2 lbs!

You are better off making a green mango Thai salad or chutney out of it before it wrinkles and/or rots from being way underripe.  Chances of it ever ripening to any enjoyment stage is probably close to the single digits.  Even ones down here are nowhere near ready to being at a point where it will ripen.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2016, 01:31:44 PM »
Keitt can actually be ripened well when picked very early. Surprisingly, they develop full flavor when picked early. Our neighbor picks their entire multi-hundred pound crop around this time every year. Their tree is currently wiped clean :-).

Let us know how it ripens. I haven't picked any of ours yet, so I'm curious.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »

Alex,
I got this mango in S. Florida last week. I'm pretty sure this was in the ones that I picked up from your Green Market stall in Palm Beach Gardens. I'm not sure if this says "Mario" or "Mano" but I've been trying to find out more about the cultivar. Do you recognize it? I'm assuming that this is the name of the cultivar and that some guy named Mario did not write his name on it to "save" it for a later purchase. If that is the case, sorry Mario. It was very tasty.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
Keitt can actually be ripened well when picked very early. Surprisingly, they develop full flavor when picked early. Our neighbor picks their entire multi-hundred pound crop around this time every year. Their tree is currently wiped clean :-).

Not ripening at two East PBC locations.  Again, stem end rot/internal breakdown instead of ripening.  Also, keep in mind, Nancy is further North in a colder area where things got going later and slower to progress.

Why on earth would your neighbor strip their tree at this time?  To each their own I guess....
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »
HAHAH yah, I personally like to let mine hang into August before plucking any. Anything hanging into Sept normally gets clobbered by the animals.

But, this will be the first year in many that I'll get a full harvest on my younger keitt, which regularly dumped 95%+ of its crop due to that black spot gunk. Nordox monthly knocked it out. So far only 2 mangoes out of hundreds lost to black spot. The rest are clean.

You need to tell walter to buy some Nordox :-). Nice thing is that it resists rain washing, so a once per month spray regimen is sufficient, even in the rainy summer. It's also OMRI listed and a caution (vs warning or danger) label. Bye bye black spot :-).

Not ripening at two East PBC locations.  Again, stem end rot/internal breakdown instead of ripening.  Also, keep in mind, Nancy is further North in a colder area where things got going later and slower to progress.

Why on earth would your neighbor strip their tree at this time?  To each their own I guess....

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
HAHAH yah, I personally like to let mine hang into August before plucking any. Anything hanging into Sept normally gets clobbered by the animals.

But, this will be the first year in many that I'll get a full harvest on my younger keitt, which regularly dumped 95%+ of its crop due to that black spot gunk. Nordox monthly knocked it out. So far only 2 mangoes out of hundreds lost to black spot. The rest are clean.

You need to tell walter to buy some Nordox :-). Nice thing is that it resists rain washing, so a once per month spray regimen is sufficient, even in the rainy summer. It's also OMRI listed and a caution (vs warning or danger) label. Bye bye black spot :-).

We may have to have a pow wow on the Nordox as I will most likely be the one treating.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
OK. I'm doing a heaping tablespoon per gallon. Super effective. But you need a mister (eg, the solo 451). Using a regular backpack sprayer on those monster trees would be a nightmare.

Peter got a tour of the nordox treated orchard. He was particularly impressed by the pomegranate trees, which are completely clean (they tend to be fungus magnets here in FL).

We may have to have a pow wow on the Nordox as I will most likely be the one treating.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2016, 11:08:19 PM »

Alex,
I got this mango in S. Florida last week. I'm pretty sure this was in the ones that I picked up from your Green Market stall in Palm Beach Gardens. I'm not sure if this says "Mario" or "Mano" but I've been trying to find out more about the cultivar. Do you recognize it? I'm assuming that this is the name of the cultivar and that some guy named Mario did not write his name on it to "save" it for a later purchase. If that is the case, sorry Mario. It was very tasty.

Mario. That tree was sold to me by mistake a couple of years ago. The person I got it from has no recollection of where it came from. It fruited for the first time this year and is quite good though, and looks productive as well. Everyone who has tried it seems to give positive feedback.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:21:53 PM by Squam256 »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2016, 11:09:36 PM »
I was really hoping for years that the forum people wouldn't discover nordox.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk