Author Topic: 2 Mangoes, 1 hole compatibility. Pickering and Venus  (Read 2609 times)

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
2 Mangoes, 1 hole compatibility. Pickering and Venus
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »
Going to be picking up a 7 Gallon Venus I have reserved soon and hopefully a similar size Pickering, though it may end up being smaller.

Dave Wilson fever has got me and I think I'm going to 2 in 1 hole them to save space. From reading articles on the forum both of these varieties seem to have a small growth habitat and should be compatible. Plus, going Pickering and Venus gives me an early/mid and a late. Any flaws in my logic? I know Harry has grown 3 Mahachanoks together and several people have used other tropicals, has anyone else successfully done this with previously potted grafted mangos specifically (as opposed to seedlings)?

I know many on the forum are more multigraft minded, but unfortunately I don't have time to learn that new skil! Though I would be open in he future to grafting other small varieties such as Mahachanok onto the pairing.

Getting excited!
-Casey

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Mangoes, 1 hole compatibility. Pickering and Venus
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 05:31:40 PM »
Here is a Nam Doc Mai and mango X that was sold to me as a Florigon but it isn't. The trunks are 4.5ft apart. I would give the roots room to grow outward, so  i would plant them no closer than 2.5ft to 3ft apart.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:36:32 PM by zands »

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:42:59 PM »
Good to see Zands., those are looking great!

Do you prune specifically between the trees more so than on the other sides?
-Casey

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 02:22:29 PM »
yikes... looks like i planted my double trees to close together (about 2 feet).

i am pretty sure the pickering is going to get outgrown pretty quickly. maybe you should plant it on the south side so it gets more sun exposure?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »

Probably still OK. The roots will travel out in other directions to get what they want. But due to all the roots competing in the zone between the two trees, pay more attention to mulching w wood chips there and fertilizing/ My take anyway.

Funny you should ask. I have never pruned there. The competing trees branches do not merge into a dense mess. Maybe they sense each other? Maybe as they get older this will become a problem? Trees are about five years in the ground. I have pruned them in all other places.

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:25:08 AM »

Probably still OK. The roots will travel out in other directions to get what they want. But due to all the roots competing in the zone between the two trees, pay more attention to mulching w wood chips there and fertilizing/ My take anyway.

Funny you should ask. I have never pruned there. The competing trees branches do not merge into a dense mess. Maybe they sense each other? Maybe as they get older this will become a problem? Trees are about five years in the ground. I have pruned them in all other places.

Interesting, good to know. I wonder if other members have similar experiences?

i am pretty sure the pickering is going to get outgrown pretty quickly. maybe you should plant it on the south side so it gets more sun exposure?

I did plan to give the Pickering the more premium spot due to it being the slowest/smallest variety. Not to mention if it ends up being a 3 gallon instead of a 7- it'll definitely need it!
-Casey

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
I wouldn't plant 2 in one hole but thats just me.  I know people have space issues but why cause potential tree health issues.  Just plant one for now, let it establish and then if you must, top work it for the second variety. 

Venus should outgrow the Pickering.   Other than on early blooms, those two will give you more mid and late.
- Rob

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »
I wouldn't plant 2 in one hole but thats just me.  I know people have space issues but why cause potential tree health issues.  Just plant one for now, let it establish and then if you must, top work it for the second variety. 

Venus should outgrow the Pickering.   Other than on early blooms, those two will give you more mid and late.

I remembered seeing that you weren't a fan in a previous thread, and I definitely value your opinion. When you say tree health issues do you mean increased risk or susceptibility to powdery mildew or anthracnose due to less airflow or something more like rootstock issues?

I have a 25 ft area in which to work, between 2 young avocados that will also be kept very small (Brogdan and unknown large fruit variety). Both are only about 5 feet tall right now. I could conceivably put the mangoes at 8 foot spacing instead if it would improve disease resistance/productivity, but that would put them closer to the Avos. With 2 in 1 hole they are more like 11-12 feet from the avos. 
-Casey

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »

I remembered seeing that you weren't a fan in a previous thread, and I definitely value your opinion. When you say tree health issues do you mean increased risk or susceptibility to powdery mildew or anthracnose due to less airflow or something more like rootstock issues?

I have a 25 ft area in which to work, between 2 young avocados that will also be kept very small (Brogdan and unknown large fruit variety). Both are only about 5 feet tall right now. I could conceivably put the mangoes at 8 foot spacing instead if it would improve disease resistance/productivity, but that would put them closer to the Avos. With 2 in 1 hole they are more like 11-12 feet from the avos.

Airflow and root issues.  I still say you are beat llanting a Venus and then  after the Venus is established, 6-12 months, top work the Pickering or whatever else onto it.

Good luck keeping that Brogdon small.  That is a pretty vigorous upright growing tree.
- Rob

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »
It was vigorous, then it snapped itself in half in a windstorm, and consequently I pruned it back hard to correct the damage. Thus far it's been coming back slowly.
-Casey

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
Well, Rob got me thinking. Then, seeing the spacing Chris has in some of her trees at Truly Tropical (https://youtu.be/__Ne91TFnAc), I am  more firmly considering just doing 8 foot spacing, instead of 2 in 1 hole.

Brogdon avo (already there)
8ft
Venus mango (to be planted)
8ft
Pickering mango (to be planted)
8ft
Unknown avo (already there)

I wouldn't be doing anything with the "extra" space the 2 in 1 planting would create, as it wouldn't really be that much more, maybe 11 feet from the avos instead of 8. Plus the 8 ft spacing will help more with disease and provide a little more wind protection in my gusty area.
-Casey