Author Topic: When To Begin Fertilizing Mangoes  (Read 3762 times)

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
When To Begin Fertilizing Mangoes
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
When you receive a 3, 5 or 7 gallon mango and leave it in a container of potting soil, at what point do you begin adding fertilizer? I have a LZ and MC that won't be planted until next year and want to insure that I don't under or over fertilize until than.

Thanks!
Michael

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: When To Begin Fertilizing Mangoes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »
I would suggest you lightly fertilize them monthly. Also, since you won't be plating them until next year, you should consider potting them up into larger sizes.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:33:25 AM »
Thank you Murahilin. I did switch both of the 3 gallon plants to larger pots.
Michael

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »
I'm getting a Mallika and Pickering from PIN this week and asked their staff about fertilizing and what they use. I am perplexed by the exclusive amount of potassium folks give their mature trees at this site.  They confirmed my feelings - follow a balanced 3-1-2 ratio for the younger trees and come time to fruit, increase the K (potassium).

Look for blue colored pellets in the soil.  That is a slow release nutrient charge. But,  I'd still ask the grower what they use.  You don't want to burn the sensitive roots.

When it comes to tropical plants, I'm a N freak and give my trees a 12 month slow release 18-4-9 with micros.

Regarding pots, consider pots that terminate, prune, root tips.  This affect induces strong secondary, lateral root output behind that terminated point...a very fibrous root ball that increase water and nute uptake.

Translation - double your vigor and production while halfing your pot size.  MicroKote or Rootmaker products are your friend. ;)

Mark
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:46:27 AM by Mark in Texas »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
Mark - thanks for sharing your advice.

I'm new to container growing. In an earlier post someone recommended an Air-Rootstm pot for my mango.

What more is there to know about these root-pruning pots?  It almost seems like everyone would want to use them, but not sure I hear much about them. And I guess they're not ideal for some plants, maybe?

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:52:43 PM »
If I wasn't gonna plant them in the ground for a while (up to a year or more, or even just for 6 months), I'd cut a bunch of holes at the bottom of the container, and the roots would always grow out and into the ground. The plants are MUCH healthier this way, as opposed to being constricted to the pots. Another benefit is that I don't have to worry about overwatering them.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 02:58:30 PM »
Mark - thanks for sharing your advice.

I'm new to container growing. In an earlier post someone recommended an Air-Rootstm pot for my mango.

What more is there to know about these root-pruning pots?  It almost seems like everyone would want to use them, but not sure I hear much about them. And I guess they're not ideal for some plants, maybe?

Call up RootMaker, ask for their free DVD, and talk to Wayne.   DVD is 90% botany, 10% sales.  I use RootBuilder and have cados and citrus in bottomless RootBuilder pots which I can (and do) expand later on.  Comes in a 105' roll, 18" H.  You make any size you want. 

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »
If I wasn't gonna plant them in the ground for a while (up to a year or more, or even just for 6 months), I'd cut a bunch of holes at the bottom of the container, and the roots would always grow out and into the ground. The plants are MUCH healthier this way, as opposed to being constricted to the pots. Another benefit is that I don't have to worry about overwatering them.

I do that too.  Drop pots of maters into 3" deep holes and then cover up the sides of the pot.  Roots get the nourishment of the potting soil and then benefit from the roots that grow thru the drain holes and then absorb food and water in the native soil that came from your pot waterings.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys!  Not sure if having the mango root thru to the ground is an option ... this puppy will have to stay in a pot its whole life  unless Henry moves to South Florida when he's 18  ;D

I will look into the RootBuilder.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys!  Not sure if having the mango root thru to the ground is an option ... this puppy will have to stay in a pot its whole life  unless Henry moves to South Florida when he's 18  ;D

I will look into the RootBuilder.

Root Maker pots, not the RootBuilder roll.  Wayne can help.

Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk