Author Topic: Baptiste Mangoes Imported from Haiti  (Read 2155 times)

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Baptiste Mangoes Imported from Haiti
« on: July 15, 2019, 07:53:04 PM »
Hello,

At the mango festival at Fairchild this weekend I convinced them to sell me a box of true Baptiste mangoes.  The reason I started this post is because I have yet to see Baptiste being sold by nurseries that look like these.  I watched a video of a man and his wife saying the mango was horrible and I felt its unfortunate that these folks might not have the true Baptiste and just ruined the chances of this delicious variety.  These are delicious.  I asked the famoly that was here from Haiti at the event and I asked them what the best variety in Haiti is and they all pointed to Baptiste. 

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: Baptiste Mangoes Imported from Haiti
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:36:56 PM »
What is the flavor profile like? I'm actually growing it - I received a scion as a freebie included with the other scions I ordered. My graft took and now I'm curious to know more about it. I didn't find much info on it online.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »
I like it.  Spicy, moderately sweet, and very nice-smelling sap when one picks it.  Tree can be dwarf, at least on some root-stocks.  Fruit skin has average or better disease resistance.
Har

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »
Maybe its me but the exotic candy flavor i find from the Madame Francis can be tasted in the Baptiste as well.  A little firmer fruit and completely fiberless.  Ive tasted a lot of varieties and have even over paid for many to say that the people in the Caribbean selectively bred for candy.  We call it spice here I guess just because it taste foreign to your traditional Haden or Florida Red.  I will say this mango isnt juicy juicy like a Madame Francis but I loved it.  The people from Haiti said its their favorite.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
Thanks for the flavor descriptions! I look forward to trying it. With luck my graft should be ready to produce next season.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 09:29:38 AM »
Baptiste produces very well and consistently for us. Pretty clean fruit also.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »

Hello Sir,

I wanted to personally thank you for the resource of Mango information you've posted on your website.  I will definitely be stopping by this season.  I really appreciate your website and I look forward to getting some trees, scions and fruit from you.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 07:19:28 PM »
Maybe its me but the exotic candy flavor i find from the Madame Francis can be tasted in the Baptiste as well.  A little firmer fruit and completely fiberless.  Ive tasted a lot of varieties and have even over paid for many to say that the people in the Caribbean selectively bred for candy.  We call it spice here I guess just because it taste foreign to your traditional Haden or Florida Red.  I will say this mango isnt juicy juicy like a Madame Francis but I loved it.  The people from Haiti said its their favorite.

Florida Red, meaning Rapoza? (from Hawaii)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 07:21:13 PM »
Hello,

At the mango festival at Fairchild this weekend I convinced them to sell me a box of true Baptiste mangoes. 

I know its not your main point but Fairchild, owner of +550 mango cultivars selling imported mangoes at its esteemed festival....again...just saying.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 11:17:32 PM »
Hello,

At the mango festival at Fairchild this weekend I convinced them to sell me a box of true Baptiste mangoes. 

I know its not your main point but Fairchild, owner of +550 mango cultivars selling imported mangoes at its esteemed festival....again...just saying.

It was actually this companies booth.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 11:18:53 PM »
Hello,

Did you get to go?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 11:36:39 PM »

Hello Sir,

I wanted to personally thank you for the resource of Mango information you've posted on your website.  I will definitely be stopping by this season.  I really appreciate your website and I look forward to getting some trees, scions and fruit from you.

Thank you for the positive feedback, appreciate it