Author Topic: Euhoria longana subsp. ?  (Read 2942 times)

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
Euhoria longana subsp. ?
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »

Never having done this b4 t this site i only hope the pics are there to be seen.  This is definitely one of the subspp. of E. longana. Fruit quality equal to seedling longan. Hey if there were no selcted cvs. of longan we'd all be growing seedlings! Good enuf! Flavour 80% longan 20 something else.

I found four of these trees in disparate Malaysian locations: Kota Baru, Taiping, Penang Island. I also found two 'real' longan trees @ Taiping so I got over my thoughts maybe this is just an aberration and they shouldn't try growing E. longana in Malaysia.

What the photos do not show is how diminutive the stature of the tree is. none were larger than 4 meters with a 3 meter spread making them an ideal candidate in my book as a dwarfing rootstock for longan.

Anybody know which subspecies this is?
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Recher

• View Profile
Re: Euhoria longana subsp. ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »
Whoops meant for one of the photos to show size. Typical longan size they are.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:22:16 AM »
I don't know that variety or subspecies but tropical66 posted a great shot of Malaysian longans last week.They looked like classic good longans and were not like these.Picko Jack or one of our other indonesian members also posted pix of a fabulous fruiting potted longan tree in indonesia and spoke of local plantations.Once again it appears to be a typical longan rather this this different looking type.I am surprized that longans can fruit in the equatorial areas.

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:28:07 AM »
yes longans indonesia..now i recall..around salatiga..no Ambarawa...... all the trees were in fruit and all were bagged wit these nifty plaited (palm? bamboo? or ?) 'cones' to keep the bats and birds off. Longan were by far the most expensive fruit in the market place

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »
noticed all the attn the tenom longan got so i thought i should dig this post out and put it back on top

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »
i am very sure those pictures above is some of longan cultivar called "ping pong longan" (here in indonesia) it names refer to its huge size, sometimes were just simply sized as a ping pong ball. we belive that its irigins from vietnam and they called it Xuo Chom Fang or something like that. this longan variety was very unique since not like many other longan,this ping pong longan were extremly tropical. it doesn need any chill hour to induce flowering. just little drought and lot of sun shine....it will bear fruit, and its realy early bearing. they start to bear fruit at 3 years when grow from seed, and even grafted tree can be fruiting in 6 month!
in indonesia we known few cultivar of tropical longan : pingpong, white longan (both were huge and intoduce from vietnam) diamon river and chrystal (introduce from malaysia) and two local selection.
you can see the image if those longan by googling it in bahasa keyword : lengkeng pingpong, lengkeng aroma durian, lengkeng diamond river.

JoseCarlos

• Malaga, 10b Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
Beautiful and curious longans, are these varieties cold resistant like  koala  haew?

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 07:03:11 PM »
Wonderful feed back. I wish I had acquired a bunch of those longan plaited fruit covers I saw in Ambarawa. Longans were the most expensive fruit in Malang (1988) @ 8000 R while say mangosteen were 1500 - 2000 R / kg

I loved Malang. My daughter and I agreed of all thgemank jakfruits we ate during our two month stay in Jawa, the last one was the best one from Malang. Seedlings from it share top rank status today for production and quality. Very strong and strong growing trees.

OK Ping Pong..FASCINATING. My only quibble... the only counter indicator to your being very sure is I observed several specimens in disparate locations: Penang Is. (opp. side to Georgetown..on main road near main bus stand in town of B....). Taiping (front yard in city), Khota Bharu (yard). In every instance conditions harsh. Every fruit was in the range of a seedling longan. NOTHING ping pong ball size. I hope its the conditions. Hmmmm. But explains why owner in Taiping said it was Thai type. I thought he had been lied to and ripped off as I was thinking commercial quality. It also explains how his tree got so big so quickly and fruiting.

BTW I don't think there is ever drought in Taiping. Rainiest city in Malaysia >4000mm. But I must repeat the leaves and look of the tree have a hint of looking  xerophyllic---- morphologically adapted to leaves to some dry

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
Beautiful and curious longans, are these varieties cold resistant like  koala  haew?
Picko JAck wrote saying one name its known as in Thailand is Tropical Longan..so not ringing hopeful