Author Topic: Mouriri sp.  (Read 2600 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Mouriri sp.
« on: April 16, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
Just got this one to sprout, it looked dead because it sprouts black. Seeds from Fruitlovers.

Anyone growing this one, i have no idea what the fruit taste like, anyone try it before.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Mouriri sp.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 12:45:50 AM »
they look pretty cool, much like a jaboticaba..(at least the species i saw in the brazil book)..i heard fruit is sweet and delicious..very unique.

i got seeds but none germinated...they seem to have the cerrado curse...but I'm not experienced enough with these to say for sure...I need to try again one day.

I hope your plant thrives.

here's a pic of the type I tried to sprout, M. pusa.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:48:00 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 01:06:03 AM »
Alright  ;D sounds very interesting. Im not sure which species of mouriri this is but im sure its a good one coming from oscar.

When i was making the soil for the seeds i used sand with a little peat moss instead of my normal ocean forest soil mix and for some reason i let them dry out for a day or 2 before watering again, also i kept them in 5 hours of full sun (winter sun) with dappled light the rest of the day. Recently i stuck it in full dappled light since the sun is getting stronger and the one sprouted and 3 others are growing roots as well. Its a good thing i used mostly sand, so they are pretty hardy and like to dry out completely before watering. Hope that helps if you try sprouting them again.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »
good info. I tried seeds from Oscar and none sprouted.  But when comparing notes with you, BGB, it seems they were too wet.  Maybe I'll have a another swing at it!

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
Hi,

When I was a kid, in my area here in Brazil, we were eating two fruits similar to that of the photo that Mr Adam posted, this is the Puça similar flavor jabuticaba but less sweet, we called also dry the jabuticaba, the other was gurguri the fruit was yellow was 4 seeds, flavor reminded Cambuca I think.

It has more than 25 years that I do not eat these fruits.

Mouriri sp, would be another species?

Congratulations on cultivation, are very slow trees.

The problem of these fruits here in Brazil is that almost no one plant these trees, each day are rare!

Just got this one to sprout, it looked dead because it sprouts black. Seeds from Fruitlovers.

Anyone growing this one, i have no idea what the fruit taste like, anyone try it before.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

Glad they sprouted for you. I don't think i ever got to try the fruit because it was out of season when i visited Jim West in Ecuador.
Oscar

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:54 PM »
Congrats on germination.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:36:50 AM by Pan Dulce »

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 02:43:18 PM »
Here is what the single seed that germinated out of my batch looks like.  Will have to try again sometime

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:35:48 AM by Pan Dulce »