Author Topic: 10 year old Washington Navel - Dwarfed Tree & Semi Dry Fruit???  (Read 690 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
10 year old Washington Navel - Dwarfed Tree & Semi Dry Fruit???
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
I realize that Glen, Varney, Robinson Navels are the preferred varieties of Navels for Florida, but the Florida Navels while good just aren't as good as the California Washington navels from the store.   I had been been told that Washington navels didn't do well in Florida and that they "didn't hold their juice" here.   Being stubborn I had to try anyway.  The Washington Navel I planed 10 years ago never got above 3-4 feet.  While it has produced fruit they has been inferior and the juice sacs are semi-dry and not filled out.  It's planted over a shallow septic drain field so water & fertilizer are not an issue.

I have grown Varney Navels before and while good they weren't as good as a California Navel.  Has anyone been able to grow Grade A Washington Navels here in Florida like the ones in the store or is  it a "fruitless" exercise.  Thanks. 
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.