Author Topic: something cool or possibly stupid  (Read 1107 times)

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
something cool or possibly stupid
« on: October 15, 2020, 01:27:31 PM »
well, last night i noticed my sugarloaf was going to push new growth on one of its lower branches. i decided, at almost midnight, to try grafting it onto a seedling that i had that was about the same diameter as the tip.

im not expecting anything out of it, just thought id be a fun experiment to try, ive seen tons of youtube videos and had been wanting to try it for awhile.

ill post updates regardless of the outcome.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: something cool or possibly stupid
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
My experience grafting to seedlings that low on the trunk has been pure failure. Most continually sent up new trunk shoots that I pluck off until the plant dies, a few just gave up the ghost a month or so in. Grafting about the first set of leaves with seedlings has been successful for me.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »
Good luck!  I just tried this earlier as well.  Kent seeds planted in July, grafted onto end of August.  I tried with a side cleft so that the branch would remain active rather than having the seedling abort the branch and put out a new sprout.  Just cut and bent them yesterday to retain the leaves for as long as they can help out.

Sugarloaf

Pickering

If the seedlings were thicker at the time, I'd do it as high as possible, just in case the grafts fail I could reuse the same seedling.  I ended up real low since these were the only seedlings thick enough I had at the time.

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »
My experience grafting to seedlings that low on the trunk has been pure failure. Most continually sent up new trunk shoots that I pluck off until the plant dies, a few just gave up the ghost a month or so in. Grafting about the first set of leaves with seedlings has been successful for me.

I would have.liked it to be higher on the trunk but I didn't have enough trunk thickness, but as I said, whatever happens its good experience

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 05:42:40 AM »
No leaves to push energy into the graft. For stone grafting they use a veneer graft.

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 07:12:07 AM »
I tried a seedling graft as well and waiting to see if I have any luck. I went a little higher but please post your results as I’m curious. 

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 02:18:41 PM »
I tried a seedling graft as well and waiting to see if I have any luck. I went a little higher but please post your results as I’m curious.

ill be posting results whether it fails or succeeds, yours should give results before mine given that mine is only about 4 0r 5 days old at this point.

post a pic of yours as well.... the more the merrier

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
well i did it again, left the leaves on this time to see if itll help pump some energy into the graft.