Author Topic: Question on inga spectabilis  (Read 3345 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Question on inga spectabilis
« on: July 26, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »
Ive read that inga spectabilis gets 100 feet, is that correct.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Question on inga spectabilis
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »

i see other sources that are reliable that say it stays at about 30ft in cultivation.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »
Really, man that sucks. I was really counting on it being a large canopy tree. I saw somewhere in my research it gets from 20M to 30M, maybe they meant feet.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:12:37 PM »
I think that 15m, perhaps 50' is about what I would expect.  We see this inga more in the open, semi-open than competing with large canopy trees.  Inga is being used by some to shade cacao and is a great firewood besides the fruit, of course.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:39:34 AM »

Maybe it can in its native habitat? I haven't looked it up yet. But i would doubt that it would get that big at your place. I have a couple of specatbilis that are about 13 years old and they are about 25-30 feet tall.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »
I guess it gets that height in the wild to get to the light but if its receiving enough light theres no need for the height. Would make sense seeing one of my plants in almost full sun is 2 feet and the ones same age in complete shade is 6 feet.

Ive also heard white cacao gets 100 feet in the wild but 40 feet in cultivation.

So the whole goal is to keep them completely shaded until desired height. A new experiment to start, will let you know the results in time.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:53:10 PM »
I guess it gets that height in the wild to get to the light but if its receiving enough light theres no need for the height. Would make sense seeing one of my plants in almost full sun is 2 feet and the ones same age in complete shade is 6 feet.

Ive also heard white cacao gets 100 feet in the wild but 40 feet in cultivation.

So the whole goal is to keep them completely shaded until desired height. A new experiment to start, will let you know the results in time.

Accesibility to light is only one factor determining final height. The others are soil type, depth, and climate. I doubt yours are the ideal to reach its maximum height. Yes the Pennington Inga book list 30 meters as spectabilis maximum height. I really doubt that it will reach even 1/2 that height at your location in 25 years. Also these trees are very easy to keep pruned. And the chipped leaves and branches are very good for feeding to other trees.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »

Accesibility to light is only one factor determining final height. The others are soil type, depth, and climate. I doubt yours are the ideal to reach its maximum height. Yes the Pennington Inga book list 30 meters as spectabilis maximum height. I really doubt that it will reach even 1/2 that height at your location in 25 years. Also these trees are very easy to keep pruned. And the chipped leaves and branches are very good for feeding to other trees.
yes many factors are always at play, thank you for the info.

If it gets above 50 feet would be ideal.  Im looking for tall (80+ feet) canopy tree that gives fruit and supplies nitrogen,  I was considering tamarind as one, any others you know of?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:07:19 PM »

If it gets above 50 feet would be ideal.  Im looking for tall (80+ feet) canopy tree that gives fruit and supplies nitrogen,  I was considering tamarind as one, any others you know of?

Keep in mind that when trees get that tall it's almost impossible to pick the pods. And once they fall to the ground they are no longer edible. Mangoes, ackee, and santol here also get huge. The sterculia you got also gets huge.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 11:20:31 PM »
That the tree goes to 80', fixes nitrogen, and produces fruit that falls to the ground shortens the potential list quickly.  I think that you have to pick the inga fruit for them to be reliably good.
What comes to mind is cassia grandis.  We call this tree carao and it produces a fruit that is commercial here and is a nitrogen fixer.
Peter

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 11:29:30 PM »

Keep in mind that when trees get that tall it's almost impossible to pick the pods. And once they fall to the ground they are no longer edible. Mangoes, ackee, and santol here also get huge. The sterculia you got also gets huge.
yea that will be a bit of a problem, Im really counting on all the other mid size trees to climb up so i can get into the larger trees  ;D
That the tree goes to 80', fixes nitrogen, and produces fruit that falls to the ground shortens the potential list quickly.  I think that you have to pick the inga fruit for them to be reliably good.
What comes to mind is cassia grandis.  We call this tree carao and it produces a fruit that is commercial here and is a nitrogen fixer.
Peter
Just looked up cassia grandis, thats a good choice. Thank you

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 10:01:51 PM »

Maybe it can in its native habitat? I haven't looked it up yet. But i would doubt that it would get that big at your place. I have a couple of specatbilis that are about 13 years old and they are about 25-30 feet tall.

what about the taste?
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »

what about the taste?
Taste of I. spectabilis is very good, and lots to eat. One of my favorite ingas.
Oscar

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
how about durian?  they get large, the fruit can be harvested when large and you could grow a bean up them, maybe Entada sp or something if nitrogen fixing is truly wanted. 

Artocarpus and Durio seem like good large trees for shading the ground and produce a fruit easy(er) to harvest when large, ie off the trunk not at the canopy level.

Tamarind gets huge, but like mentioned not easy to harvest when huge...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk