Author Topic: Killing and controlling methods for scales  (Read 12804 times)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Killing and controlling methods for scales
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
I use GardenTech Seven to kill scales and it work quite well at a rate of 2.5 ounce to 1 gallon for my citrus and mango trees. Please share your methods  on controlling the scale population using pesticides or organic.
RichardN

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Killing and controlling methods for scales
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:42:48 PM »
I have tried Neem, Earth Raid, and the only thing that worked has been scraping scale off using a business card. Lol. I will look into what product you used. Thanks :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
for small plants, you can drown them....just submerge the plant for a day or two...

some plants might not like this treatment, but I find most can handle it quite well.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »
Drowning? It's interesting, I used to use a candle lighter, but felt "I wouldn't want to be burned alive", and stopped. Lol, drowning would probably make me equally as queasy. They love attacking moringa. I may try drowning them on moringa.

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
I was given a cambuca that was infested with scale and I got rid of it by squishing them with my fingers with no gloves for smaller sized trees.  Check every other day to make sure they are completely gone.  You're bound to miss a few of the smaller ones.  Squish them before they are able to reproduce again.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
Drowning? It's interesting, I used to use a candle lighter, but felt "I wouldn't want to be burned alive", and stopped. Lol, drowning would probably make me equally as queasy. They love attacking moringa. I may try drowning them on moringa.

lol...u picked the one plant that I think might hate being subjected to inundation!

but I think for one day it should be fine!

I wonder how many hours it takes to actually drown them??

my guess is about 4-8?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:32:05 PM »
I have tried Neem, Earth Raid, and the only thing that worked has been scraping scale off using a business card. Lol. I will look into what product you used. Thanks :)

Years ago I use Neem oil but work extremely slow to the point that those booger produce faster then Neem could kill them.
RichardN

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:23:14 PM »
Horti oils worked for a while on my over ran Alano sappo, but for some reason young scale wasn't affected anymore by it. Reluctantly, one application of Sevin killed em all (ants and scale). I'm a believer and plan to use it as a last resort...reponsibly.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 08:26:10 PM »
Horti oils worked for a while on my over ran Alano sappo, but for some reason young scale wasn't affected anymore by it. Reluctantly, one application of Sevin killed em all (ants and scale). I'm a believer and plan to use it as a last resort...reponsibly.
Sometimes its better to use Sevin and have the tree survive, than have the tree die a slow organic approved death.

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 11:25:11 PM »
I've left plants in the cold too, that got rid of scale. Nearly kills your plant though. My preferred method is scraping them off. I don't like to use my finger but a card or tip of shears works.

Moringa is like catnip to them. I even pugged a plant in the past to rid it of scale.  I need to look into the seven product, but would that ruin moringa? It's moringa leaves that we eat.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »
If temps are under 90F when you apply and 24 hours thereafter, a mix of dormant oil and malathion is the ticket.  Just got rid of soft scale on a blood orange.  Wouldn't have notice it if I hadn't seen the soot.

Also, keep control of ants.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 10:02:13 AM »
I wohld not be using oils in temps above 80 and not in full sun.
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
Here my first success story on defeating scale (for now)

In the past I've used sevin with great success on scale but this time i wanted to try something that wont kill everything beneath the drip line.

I have a purple Caimito in my front yard. It hasn't been looking that well but after taking Cookie Monsters advice and applying sulfur it looks great. (also added peat and mulch to the topsoil)

I noticed in August while in mist of a new growth flush there was green scale on most of the young stems.
The first thing i did was apply Neem oil in the evenings, maybe 2 or 3 times that week. (I have no idea if Neem is good for scale, but its all I had)
One week later i stared noticing assassin bugs crawling around. I applied some diatomaceous earth to the base, sprayed it one more time and left.
The next week I saw a whole bunch of assassin bugs and a few white crawling things, which i later found out was the assassin bug larvae. Scale was down to about 40%
The next week i didn't see and adult assassin bugs but a few of the larvae was still present. Scale at 10%

Last time i check caimito is scale free and haven't seen any assassin bug on it recently

This is by not means a scientific experiment, just a few of my observations.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »
Yep, I think neem oil is effective against soft scale. Hard scale (eg, lobate lac) seems to be more of a challenge.

I definitely wouldn't use sevin :-). That's like using a stick of dynamite to kill a fly. All of your beneficials will go belly-up. Its great if you need a sterile soil medium (for shipping across state lines for example), but not so great if you like worms, millipedes, etc.

AzaSol and BotaniGard have worked well for me, and neither product contains oil, so there is no risk of burning. The only drawback (beside cost of course) is that both products degrade pretty quickly. AzaSol has a lifespan if about 2 years, botanigard 6 months to a year.

And with the above in mind -- neem oil's active ingredient (azadirachtin) can degrade fairly quickly, especially if stored in a hot garage. You should store them in a a/c controlled environment.
Jeff  :-)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 01:14:31 PM »
Yep, I think neem oil is effective against soft scale. Hard scale (eg, lobate lac) seems to be more of a challenge.

I definitely wouldn't use sevin :-). That's like using a stick of dynamite to kill a fly. All of your beneficials will go belly-up. Its great if you need a sterile soil medium (for shipping across state lines for example), but not so great if you like worms, millipedes, etc.

AzaSol and BotaniGard have worked well for me, and neither product contains oil, so there is no risk of burning. The only drawback (beside cost of course) is that both products degrade pretty quickly. AzaSol has a lifespan if about 2 years, botanigard 6 months to a year.

And with the above in mind -- neem oil's active ingredient (azadirachtin) can degrade fairly quickly, especially if stored in a hot garage. You should store them in a a/c controlled environment.

Jeff, do you use both AzaSol and BotaniGard against scales? Or  AzaSol is enough?  Would you recommend spraying all of my plants with sulfur to get rid of scales and mold?

Thanks
Onur

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Lobate Lac is a pain in the ass to control and can be a plant killer.
- Rob

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 03:00:44 PM »
If temps are under 90F when you apply and 24 hours thereafter, a mix of dormant oil and malathion is the ticket.  Just got rid of soft scale on a blood orange.  Wouldn't have notice it if I hadn't seen the soot.

Second this. 

For hard scale- credit card scrape (pia) then malathion sprayed two feet in either non infested direction. Reapply after rain as it will wash off.  Also circle trunk at base to stop ants.  After several applications no further hard scale.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:04:43 PM by LaCasaVerde »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 03:24:39 PM »
I spray them off my tree with a high pressure setting on the hose nozzle. Works great on small trees. Repeat every couple of days, and they seem pretty well under control

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »

Second this. 

For hard scale- credit card scrape (pia) then malathion sprayed two feet in either non infested direction. Reapply after rain as it will wash off. 
Also circle trunk at base to stop ants.  After several applications no further hard scale.

Does it work against the soft scales too?

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »

Second this. 
Has for me. Saw Marks post and responded as Ive used same mix and it worked. Only used it a couple times on soft scale and it stopped them. I use it every year on  black scale on Olive trees and it works for them as well, but these need to be scraped first as the malathion spray only kills the young ones before the shell hardens. Be carefull though on young trees without canopy shade protection as oil can burn as bsbullie referenced. Ive never had that issue though as I try to spot treat  areas not the whole tree. Like to hear what Marks opinon is. He may have more soft scale issues .

For hard scale- credit card scrape (pia) then malathion sprayed two feet in either non infested direction. Reapply after rain as it will wash off. 
Also circle trunk at base to stop ants.  After several applications no further hard scale.

Does it work against the soft scales too?

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 09:18:56 PM »
I use GardenTech Seven to kill scales and it work quite well at a rate of 2.5 ounce to 1 gallon for my citrus and mango trees. Please share your methods  on controlling the scale population using pesticides or organic.

Im assuming for soft scale? Will Sevin kill hard scale? Id like to try this if so as Ive got an Olive tree that gets reinfested every year with hard back scale. My current method works for hard scale but it does get tedious scraping them off first.

Saltee

• Coral Springs Florida, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 10:05:40 PM »
bayer systemic insecticide for fruit/vegs worked well for me. I only had a scale problem with my NDM. No other tree had them

Also a bowl of water and a wet rag to get off the majority. After I scrubbed them off, they kept coming back for a while until the tree got the systemic poison up to the top leaves, then they dried out flaked off and haven't been back since.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 07:46:01 AM »
Sometimes its better to use Sevin and have the tree survive, than have the tree die a slow organic approved death.

Bravo!  It never ceases to amaze me how many will let their organic (religious) beliefs get in the way of controlling a pest the sure and safe way using approved and legal pesticides.  Having said that......

One or more apps of a horticultural oil with malathion will get them.  Best control is during the soft crawling stage but it will get the hard scale ones too.

If someone knows and has any "beneficials" I'd be glad to try them.   I rarely if ever spray veggies, rarely have any pest pressures but if and when I do I won't hesitate to use a pesticide.  Permethrin is one of the best.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:49:51 AM by Mark in Texas »

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »

Bravo!  It never ceases to amaze me how many will let their organic (religious) beliefs get in the way of controlling a pest the sure and safe way using approved and legal pesticides.  Having said that......

One or more apps of a horticultural oil with malathion will get them.  Best control is during the soft crawling stage but it will get the hard scale ones too.

If someone knows and has any "beneficials" I'd be glad to try them.   I rarely if ever spray veggies, rarely have any pest pressures but if and when I do I won't hesitate to use a pesticide.  Permethrin is one of the best.

Mark

Mark, is this the pesticide you are talking about? Does it also work against hard and soft shelled scales?

36.8 % Permethrin SFR 32 oz Pest Control Insecticide

https://www.amazon.com/36-8-Permethrin-Pest-Control-Insecticide/dp/B003IMO3I2/ref=pd_sbs_86_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003IMO3I2&pd_rd_r=BCWY94Y99W63YTXD4QYZ&pd_rd_w=Aa6uU&pd_rd_wg=rREAC&psc=1&refRID=BCWY94Y99W63YTXD4QYZ

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »
How much of scale infestation has to do with ants? Control the ants, control the scale?
-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk