Author Topic: best tasting guava ?  (Read 24124 times)

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
Re: best tasting guava ?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 01:58:42 PM »
Garry ( gnappi) I tried your lemon guava they were delicious
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
  IMHO I always look forward to the Indian white variety. To my palate they are delicious 😋

William

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
Garry ( gnappi) I tried your lemon guava they were delicious

Well they will be ready soon you're welcome to eat your fill
Regards,

Gary

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
GUAVAS ARrrrghhh.

My first year growing ruby supreme and pink were pest free, had lots of delicious fruit but the next year scale got to them big time.

I really like them but till recently have had terrible luck with scale that I could not control.

Not long ago I started using horticultural oil in addition to strong stream water spraying and hand scraping scale off and I seem to be gaining some ground.

My lemon and strawberry and Alahabad (the Alahabad has not fruited) all seem immune to scale but do get fruit fly larvae so the fruit get bagged.

My pinks, and Mexican have rebounded and set some fruit. The ruby supreme (my fave) is hanging on but no fruit. My Thai white languished so I put it out of it's misery.

So, being a glutton for punishment I found a silly expensive 3 gal. Barbie pink hoping to make a go of it.

This is my last ditch effort to have guava, fingers crossed.

I thought there was a program in Florida for the eradication of the fruit fly?

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »
You're right but not ALL fruit flies :-)

They missed /  don't care about the rest!
Regards,

Gary

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
The quality of the taste depends on weather the tree got enough sun.  I planted for mom in a barrel in the sunniest location, the fruit picked were very sweet, acidic, aromatic.   However, when she moved it to a location that didn't receive much sun, the fruit tasted very blend. It was like eating cardboard .  The fruit was 2lbs with only 5-6 seeds inside.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 08:55:09 AM »
I have a few guavas, only two are fruiting and I haven't tried them yet. Has anyone tried, Lemon, Egyptian, apple, or strawberry guavas?

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 01:06:43 PM »
I have strawberry guava but they are too small to be worth bagging to keep fruit fly off them, and the taste is not very good so I am pulling mine. There are other guava I will try out and  replace it with.

Regards,

Gary

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2016, 03:04:15 PM »
The better taste of guava from my recent experience is the white guava from Taiwan, it is crunchy, sourish sweet and mildly aromatic.

My favorite taiwan guava is yellow, soft, and so aromatic that we occasionally say it's serves as the air freshener. Growing them from seeds now and fingers crossed.

Guava grafting = total failure to me so far.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 04:51:40 PM »
How healthy  is youi guava? Mine has been a challenge with scale and now that its greening up I have a couple of fruits bagged on it. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:51:35 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 09:51:54 PM »
Duplicate
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:51:01 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
I have two 5 gallon guavas for 1.5 years, they have not shown much growth, currently about 1.5 feet tall.
I am not sure if pot size is the limiting factor here, how tall do guavas typically grow in 5 gallon pots? Should I upgrade to 15 gallon?
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »
I have one in a 5 gal pot. It's 2-3 ft tall and was the same size in a 1 gal pot last year. I figured the extra room would allow it to grow bigger or flower.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
I have yet to keep a guava in a pot that does well. Ultimately I put them in the ground.

I don't know how growers do it but I have seen some beautiful and large trees in pots.

Recently I bought a really nice 4' tall Barbie pink in a 3 gal pot and I am going to try and keep it there till spring.

Regards,

Gary

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 10:23:43 PM »
I love guavas! I have got Ruby supreme, Egyptian, Allahabad, Cattley (Lemon, red), Malaysian red. Can anyone recommend other varieties that she/he thinks is great tasting?  Thanks!

Onur
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:26:48 PM by onur »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
I have two 5 gallon guavas for 1.5 years, they have not shown much growth, currently about 1.5 feet tall.
I am not sure if pot size is the limiting factor here, how tall do guavas typically grow in 5 gallon pots? Should I upgrade to 15 gallon?

yeah, i certainly would.
they are hungry plants and need a lot of organic matter.
mine go through compost fast. in containers, they eat it all up
then you are left with a lot of roots and a handful of perlite (lol)
and at that point they need water every day in the summer.

i had taken a root-cutting from my first guava
and it started producing fruit at under 2ft tall
i put it in a 7 gal container 4 months ago with a lot of compost.
i am guessing it will outgrow it in 2 or 3 months.
it has about 15 or more small fruit on it though...

i guess you could keep them any size with pruning,
but you would probably need to root-prune, or re-pot with added compost
pretty often as they grow fast.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
I reckon,
the cherry guavas just don't cut it but yellows are better than reds and my yellows are just left to drop like my neighbours reds and the griity seeds are the higgest dowfall.My soft seeded P.guineense is way the hell better in every way.So far as the tropical guavas go I have tried a good selection of Indian and Pakistani types and I'm not a fan.AS is ok but not great.The best crunchy whites are from Thailand and perhaps taiwan.Mexican cream is good but the pinks tickle my fancy.Those known as hawaiin and Hong Kong pink in Australia are good but the seeds ae a bit gritty.The malaysian red or maroon is pure trash and mine volunteered for mulch patrol.I hold hopes that my Brazilian orange fleshed will be good when it fruits. Popular opinion in guava circles is that the finest varieties come from brazil,Mexico and the US.

Hi Mike,

Do you know where I can get orange fleshed guava seedling or at least seeds by any chance? Thanks!

Onur

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2016, 02:32:55 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought a stupid expensive Allahabad guava that grows REALLY slowly that I have read are superior tasting. Does anyone here have one that is fruiting?
Regards,

Gary

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2018, 03:34:45 AM »
A couple of years ago I bought a stupid expensive Allahabad guava that grows REALLY slowly that I have read are superior tasting. Does anyone here have one that is fruiting?

Yes I bought one of those on ebay from eplantsnursery even though I was suspicious.  Two years later I got something like a long green terrible tasting guava that cracks. 
This ripoff probably sent me some seedling guava.  Now he's selling the exact same listing under the ebay id guavaking .
Ebay's policies make it possible for these scumbags to rip people off.  No wonder ebay's going down hill.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2018, 02:40:02 PM »

Yes I bought one of those on ebay from eplantsnursery even though I was suspicious.  Two years later I got something like a long green terrible tasting guava that cracks. 
This ripoff probably sent me some seedling guava.  Now he's selling the exact same listing under the ebay id guavaking .
Ebay's policies make it possible for these scumbags to rip people off.  No wonder ebay's going down hill.

There have been posts written about him before. He scammed me a few times although the trees he sent me were very healthy. Fortunately I'm much wiser now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk