Author Topic: Orange Essence Mango AKA 40-33  (Read 10718 times)

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
Orange Essence Mango AKA 40-33
« on: December 30, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »
Hello mango growers. Just trying to get a few more details on the Orange Essence I just grabbed from Excalibur. I did a forum search so I apologize for a repost but I can never get enough conversation going on unique mangos. The search yielded some results in info such as a Gary-Kent cross and the taste of it. How about early reports of productivity since some of the first postings of this fruit 4-5 years later.

I also got some results on the fruit size but not much on the tree itself. I was just wondering if any members here can report on any common fruit or tree diseases. Some one I know stated that the tree has good bacterial black spot resistance. Also that it was a vigorous grower. Some online nurseries stated the tree as being a slow easy grower. I appreciate any Orange Essence Tree information nearing 2018. Thank you in advance!
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Essence Mango AKA 40-33
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
It's different than Orange Sherbet?
John

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
Yes it is. Orange Essence was actually released for sale and I do not think Orange Sherbet was. You can do a forum search for this and there is some information on it but its mostly all outdated and nothing really new.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »
I am selling my grafted Orange Essence tree. Here is the link to my post: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26398.0

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »
I don't think there is much information on it as yet.
I've seen the fruit reviews mentioned in the past though.
Since the tree was officially release in 2017 I don't think many people can speak to the characteristics of a grafted tree.

igrowmangos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:02:39 PM »
Thank you for that input. Hopefully 2018 will get me a bit more details on it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:10:16 PM »
People grab lunch, people grab a breakfast muffin at McDonald's. Now they grab mango trees too.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »
According to Ms Marlys in her tour of her mango farm, her’s out in Loxahatchee (where it’s more humid & less air circulation) has not yet set fruit in the years in the ground & also highly susceptible to anthracnose & scale. (Which her’s had according to Chris’ Video of her yard.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:41:50 PM by 561MangoFanatic »
Sergio

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
In December 2016 I had a list of 30 mango varieties I went to Zill’s
To buy. On the list to buy was 5 Orange Sherbert. When I finally got to the office to pay
The secretary read my list and told me they don’t have Orange Sherbert
Only a new variety called Orange Essence but I was too embarrassed for being so dumb I didn’t replace them.
So my 5 OE trees have been in the ground for a year and a month. They were 3 gallon babies and all 5 have grown well. I was a bit disgusted with myself for taking these but they are growing in a real
Healthy way with none of their leaves having any signs of ancanthrose like so many of the other 200 mango
Trees that I put in the ground the last 13 months. I am now insanely happy with my dumb mistake. No matter how productive they eventually are I love these 5 trouble free trees.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »
To buy. On the list to buy was 5 Orange Sherbert. When I finally got to the office to pay
Only a new variety called Orange Essence but I was too embarrassed for being so dumb I didn’t replace them.
So my 5 OE trees have been in the ground for a year and a month. They were 3 gallon babies and all 5 have grown well. I was a bit disgusted with myself for taking these but they are growing in a real
Healthy way with none of their leaves having any signs of ancanthrose like so many of the other 200 mango
Trees that I put in the ground the last 13 months. I am now insanely happy with my dumb mistake. No matter how productive they eventually are I love these 5 trouble free trees.

My 3 Gal OE continues to push blooms non stop. looks like it wants to produce a lot of mangoes, LOL. after failed attempts to remove blooms last year I am going to let it have babies. here in CA if tree blooms, it does not grow much at all that season as fruits are on the tree till late Oct.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 05:29:06 PM »
2nd year of very clean Orange Essence trees here. I'll probabaly be plucking baby mangos off them again this year. Might let one of them hold on to one if it wants to... tempting 

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 07:44:15 PM »
Orange Essence is an outstanding fruit.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
Mine grew about 1-2 feet last year with good vegetative growth, and if it duplicates that this year then it’ll be ready to have a baby or 2 the year afterwards.

K

My 3 Gal OE continues to push blooms non stop. looks like it wants to produce a lot of mangoes, LOL. after failed attempts to remove blooms last year I am going to let it have babies. here in CA if tree blooms, it does not grow much at all that season as fruits are on the tree till late Oct.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 07:07:14 PM »

Is it as late or later than Kent?  Will MBBS, disease or other issues be "likely"?
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 08:51:41 PM »

Is it as late or later than Kent?  Will MBBS, disease or other issues be "likely"?

Similar season I think. Impossible to know for sure until more people have it fruiting, but I would speculate it’s got some resistance to MBBS if the ‘Gary’ cultivar was it’s paternal parent.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 08:54:06 PM »
Orange Essense- A superior mango than its parent Kent. Classic mango flavor with an orange taste near the skin.
Would you say this is pretty accurate?
John

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 09:17:35 PM »
Orange Essense- A superior mango than its parent Kent. Classic mango flavor with an orange taste near the skin.
Would you say this is pretty accurate?

I found the citrus component pronounced enough not to put it in the classic group, but I haven’t eaten many of them.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »
I've been wondering about this one and also Peach Cobbler.  Since PPK is not a parent to these two, where does the citrus or orange flavor come from?  Wouldn't LZ or Orange Sherbet be WAY MORE citrusy?  Do we know yet whether OS suffers from MBBS? I want to add a citrus-flavored mango, but which one at this point since MBBS is such a major future issue?
John

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 10:47:22 AM »
I've been wondering about this one and also Peach Cobbler.  Since PPK is not a parent to these two, where does the citrus or orange flavor come from?  Wouldn't LZ or Orange Sherbet be WAY MORE citrusy?  Do we know yet whether OS suffers from MBBS? I want to add a citrus-flavored mango, but which one at this point since MBBS is such a major future issue?

Orange Sherbet appears to handle mbbs a lot better than Lemon Zest and PPK according to Walter Zill.

Orange Essence get its citrus component from Gary similar to the way Peach cobbler does. Orange sherbet’s citrus component it more pronounced though so if you’re looking for something in that flavor group, I’d go with that.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »
Orange Sherbet appears to handle mbbs a lot better than Lemon Zest and PPK according to Walter Zill.
I sure do hope that's true, as do we all!
John

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 07:26:13 PM »
my orange essence got pretty nasty looking during the rainy season last year, this year all the leaves are yellow-ish while the honkey kiss on the other side of my yard is picture perfect

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 08:25:30 PM »
my orange essence got pretty nasty looking during the rainy season last year, this year all the leaves are yellow-ish while the honkey kiss on the other side of my yard is picture perfect
So it may not grow well away from the coast.
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
So it may not grow well away from the coast.

I live in Coral Springs and I have Orange Essence grafted onto two of my trees, one a Keitt and the other a NDM #4. The topworked portions look really healthy.  The Keitt was topworked a few months ago, but the NDM #4 was topworked about 18 months ago. Flowered for the first time this year, but only on one branch. i have heard that the mother tree is productive.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54:15 AM »
My 3 gallon orange essence from plantogram seems to grow normally and disease free except for some flower panicles from the middle branches.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
My 3 gallon orange essence from plantogram seems to grow normally and disease free except for some flower panicles from the middle branches.

Can you grow mango trees east of San Bernardino?  It doesn't get too cold there?  Or you just keep them in pots, and take them inside in the winter?  Stone fruits, cherries, citrus, apples, persimmons--they should thrive where you're at, no?  How about avocados?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:33:00 AM by johnb51 »
John