Author Topic: 2019 Mango season (Florida) flower stimuli  (Read 17208 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Mango season (Florida) flower stimuli
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »
I wouldn't do that with growth that hasn't hardened and turned green, and don't do it with my mangos unless it is part of a planned tipping regime.

There are many posts on pruning and tipping mango on the forum do a search for "tipping"

Here are a few - happy reading :)
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=29592.msg333603#msg333603
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27985.msg318820#msg318820
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1422.msg88695#msg88695

There are also many good videos on youtube.  Here are two popularly shared links.  They represent 2 slightly different schools of thoughts.  Has to do with inducing growth at the internode or just below.  I split the difference.  My first cut is just above the node allowing many shoots from which I pick 3 to keep.  Subsequent cuts are below the node and fewer new shoots form at the location of leafs just below the cut.  Usually 2 or 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1AnvNa6mc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhF-YphevA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2019, 06:50:06 PM »
I wouldn't do that with growth that hasn't hardened and turned green, and don't do it with my mangos unless it is part of a planned tipping regime.

There are many posts on pruning and tipping mango on the forum do a search for "tipping"

Here are a few - happy reading :)
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=29592.msg333603#msg333603
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27985.msg318820#msg318820
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1422.msg88695#msg88695

My first cut is just above the node allowing many shoots from which I pick 3 to keep.  Subsequent cuts are below the node and fewer new shoots form at the location of leafs just below the cut.  Usually 2 or 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1AnvNa6mc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhF-YphevA

This makes sense.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »
Tebow/ Young Mango first to flower here other trees just now swelling

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2019, 08:38:30 AM »
Happy to report inflorescence on Glenn, Coconut Cream, and NDM4. First time flowering for CC and NDM4. Still waiting on Kesar and Casturi. Not expecting any on recent grafts of OS, ST, and Maha.

Was starting to worry. Glenn flowered much sooner last year and the year before, providing early crops and then heftier harvests thereafter. Don't think there will be any early mangoes for us this year.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »
Flowers:
Dupuis - full
Cogshall - full
Angie - full
NDM - just starting
Glenn - just starting
Keitt - just starting
Neelam- just starting
Cac - partial

Pushing (will see in a few days if its flowers)
Cotton Candy
Lemon Zest
Imam Passand
Francis Hargrave
M4

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »
Anyone getting poor fruit set?

I had two trees that flowered relatively earlier than the others and just about al the panicles have dried up, very little fruit set.

I am a little inland and most mornings the dew is so much it is like I had hosed down the flowers.
I sprayed to try to prevent powdery mildew and while I seem to have avoided that I still did not get good fruit set (despite bees and flies buzzing everywhere).

Fortunately, the trees that flowered a little later seem to be setting some fruit.  Not sure if this will be a good mango year for me just yet.

Question:  Other than copper and sulfur, what do you spray to help your mangos hold on to some fruit. 

On a pleasant note, lychee and citrus are blossoming, won't be a lost season.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2019, 09:16:00 PM »
Anyone getting poor fruit set?

I had two trees that flowered relatively earlier than the others and just about al the panicles have dried up, very little fruit set.

I am a little inland and most mornings the dew is so much it is like I had hosed down the flowers.
I sprayed to try to prevent powdery mildew and while I seem to have avoided that I still did not get good fruit set (despite bees and flies buzzing everywhere).

Fortunately, the trees that flowered a little later seem to be setting some fruit.  Not sure if this will be a good mango year for me just yet.

Question:  Other than copper and sulfur, what do you spray to help your mangos hold on to some fruit. 

On a pleasant note, lychee and citrus are blossoming, won't be a lost season.

Weather conditions likely influenced certain varieties to open male rather than female. The initial fruit set on Edward and Carrie off January bloom, for instance, was garbage. The secondary bloom’s fruit set has been much better.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2019, 11:41:21 AM »
Carrie fruit set has been poor, but all the rest has been really strong.
Jeff  :-)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »
Carrie fruit set has been poor, but all the rest has been really strong.

My Carrie looks light too but I'm hoping it will be like last year and just playing "hide and go seek" in the thick close leaves until they mature.

Last year, I was happy when July came and found a few late bloomers on the Carrie that had matured very late.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »
The two in my case were carrie and keith.
Last year was a monster year on the Carie.  Unless I get another flush which I doubt this year will be slim.
May be a good year to prune and shape the tree.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2019, 09:41:08 PM »
My 9 foot tall Phoenix is covered in flowers on one side, the orange essence that's the same height but skinnier doesn't have any flowers.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2019, 06:32:20 PM »
honey kiss held one mango off one pannicle

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2019, 08:51:05 AM »
Last year was a monster year on the Carie.  Unless I get another flush which I doubt this year will be slim.
UPDATE

Strange thing.

As I mentioned earlier my Keith flowered but failed to hold fruit.
I decided perhaps it was a year to heavy prune to try to shape the tree, take the opportunity that it was not fruiting.
I went by the tree this weekend to figure the cuts I wanted to make and lo and behold, it is trying to flower again.  It hasn't been cold, at least not cold enough to stimulate flowering.  The new panicles are just coming in and there few of them, I counted less than a dozen on the entire tree.  They are miserable looking but they are panicles and that was a surprise.

Anyone seeing this late flowering from trees that flowered but failed earlier in the season?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
UPDATE

Strange thing.

I decided perhaps it was a year to heavy prune to try to shape the tree, take the opportunity that it was not fruiting.
I went by the tree this weekend to figure the cuts I wanted to make and lo and behold, it is trying to flower again.  It hasn't been cold, at least not cold enough to stimulate flowering.  The new panicles are just coming in and there few of them, I counted less than a dozen on the entire tree.  They are miserable looking but they are panicles and that was a surprise.

Anyone seeing this late flowering from trees that flowered but failed earlier in the season?

Yes, minor amount from a tiny bit of cool temps in March + dry conditions. It’s going to be inconsequential.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »

UPDATE

Strange thing.

Yes, minor amount from a tiny bit of cool temps in March + dry conditions. It’s going to be inconsequential.
Party pooper, I was hoping perhaps there might be a chance of some fruit from my trees that failed this year.
I will mark my cuts and make them soon.  Maybe I can get two flushes through the summer and position well for next year with a smaller but more complex tree.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2019, 02:43:33 PM »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2019, 06:54:34 PM »
Getting mixed bloom on Phoenix, ppk and Fairchild

Bigger than first bloom on ppk

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:22:38 PM by WGphil »

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2019, 10:56:12 PM »
Just a few random blooms this week on Carrie and Choc Anon.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2019, 08:38:47 AM »
Small second bloom on Maha Chanok, on tips that didn't flower the first time, those that did have thumb sized fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk