Author Topic: Help me pick my next mango variety  (Read 6364 times)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Help me pick my next mango variety
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Anyone here have a rosigold?
Yes, one tree. I should have some fruit to try as they ripen.
Think you'll have an extra one I can try?

As of right now it looks like Rosigold and Sweet Tart are the top choices, however I have not tried either. I am mainly looking for a good tasting mango that is productive and disease resistant. I have/had three big mango trees in my yard since I bought my house. The first one never gave me any fruit because of disease issues. The second has only fruited twice in the past 5 years and they were pretty bad fruit and the tree has anthracnose really bad and gets powdery mildew on the flowers. My only consistent producer is my Haden.
So I am just getting tired of having mango trees (especially big mature ones) that do not produce anything and get taken over by disease/bacterial issues. That is why it has to be a good to heavy producer.

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »
Last year I spent a lot of time picking up as many different varieties as possible from tropical acres farms on my way him from work on a nearly weekly basis. Far and away my favorite mango was the Duncan which is why I bought one from Excalibur and planted it last summer. The tree is healthy and putting on fruit and I would pull it all off to help it grow but I plan to let some mature to make sure it is the advertised variety.  The St. Maui was a very large fruit but also one of my favorites. Cogshall was excellent and nearly a 10. Of the 40+ I had last year those three were my favorite.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
Cotton Candy has been the cleanest in my yard

Powdery Mildew conditions at my place for over a month but none on the Candy

On the other hand Phoenix would have lost entire crop without sulfur spray
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:45:59 PM by WGphil »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »
Cotton Candy has been the cleanest in my yard

Powdery Mildew conditions at my place for over a month but none on the Candy

On the other had Phoenix would have lost entire crop without sulfur spray

Phoenix does appear to be highly prone to PM.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »
In July there is a mango mania weekend at the German American Club on Pine Island rd.
The same weekend Fruitscapes has their version. You pay 5 bucks and they give you a toothpick
and you can sample 20+ varieties. I went to Fruitscapes and it was interesting how my boys
picked their favorite, my wife had hers, the lady who worked for Fruitscapes had her opinion.
Everyone had a different idea what is best. July is right around the corner. I never went to the
German American club, I like Steve and Fruitscapes. After you sample the varieties he will tell you
what grows best. His growing location is very similar to yours. The lady went on and on about Dot
and it didn't do anything for me? I am glad I picked mangos I like not what others say is the best

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »
The problem with going to any tasting is that you won't sample every variety picked at peak conditions and optimum flavor.  You're only hoping you get the true flavor profile.  And also flavor varies from year to year, location to location, tree to tree, and even mango to mango.  A variety that produces reliably and doesn't have health issues, as well as tasting great, is still VERY IMPORTANT.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:36:59 PM by johnb51 »
John

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 08:21:19 AM »
The problem with going to any tasting is that you won't sample every variety picked at peak conditions and optimum flavor.  You're hoping you get the true flavor profile.  And also flavor varies from year to year, tree to tree, and even mango to mango.  A variety that produces reliably and doesn't have health issues it still so important.

Perfect example. Last season I went to fruitscapes multiple times and bought a bunch of different kinds; NDM, carrie, glen, Keitt and so many more I cant remember. Know which was my favorite? My haden mangos from my yard picked at the perfect ripeness for me.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
In July there is a mango mania weekend at the German American Club on Pine Island rd.
The same weekend Fruitscapes has their version. You pay 5 bucks and they give you a toothpick
and you can sample 20+ varieties. I went to Fruitscapes and it was interesting how my boys
picked their favorite, my wife had hers, the lady who worked for Fruitscapes had her opinion.
Everyone had a different idea what is best. July is right around the corner. I never went to the
German American club, I like Steve and Fruitscapes. After you sample the varieties he will tell you
what grows best. His growing location is very similar to yours. The lady went on and on about Dot
and it didn't do anything for me? I am glad I picked mangos I like not what others say is the best

Ill have to keep checking and see when they have their mango fest. I always get all of my trees from them, love the place.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »
As of right now my mind has been made up to do Sweet Tart, what do you guys think?
Seems to be a good producer and has very good resistant to anthracnose.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 03:53:47 PM »
I've heard that ST does not produce consistently. 

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »
I've heard that ST does not produce consistently.

Dang...well sadly I am coming to the conclusion that if you want a disease resistant and good consistent producer then the taste will not be there...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:50:34 PM by chad6159 »

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2019, 09:02:25 PM »
ST is amazing flavor wise. It is too big for zone pushing, but if I lived a bit further south I'd definitely plant one even if it didn't produce consistently. Maybe others can comment on what is inconsistent about it. Does it skip flowering? Flower but not set?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 07:43:46 AM »
ST is amazing flavor wise. It is too big for zone pushing, but if I lived a bit further south I'd definitely plant one even if it didn't produce consistently. Maybe others can comment on what is inconsistent about it. Does it skip flowering? Flower but not set?

Doesn’t flower consistently. Sets strongly when/where it does flower.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »

Great info - thanks! What factors have you observed that affect flowering? Curious if they are factors a dooryard grower can control (e.g. amount of water or fertilizer). Or are they just up to the weather (e.g. number of chill hours)?

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »

Great info - thanks! What factors have you observed that affect flowering? Curious if they are factors a dooryard grower can control (e.g. amount of water or fertilizer). Or arthey just up to the weather (e.g. number of chill hours)?

Yeah that would be nice to know if it’s something controllable.

Squam, what mangos produce consistant, hold a good amount of fruit and also have good disease resistance for you?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 09:47:07 AM »

Great info - thanks! What factors have you observed that affect flowering? Curious if they are factors a dooryard grower can control (e.g. amount of water or fertilizer). Or are they just up to the weather (e.g. number of chill hours)?

Cool weather is the biggest floral promoter, with dry weather being the other climactic promoter. Age of the stems (older stems being more likely to flower), moon phases and health of the tree have a say in whether the trees respond to floral stimuli.