Author Topic: First of 10 guava tree cultivars RubyXsupreme’s first fruit.  (Read 459 times)

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
First of 10 guava tree cultivars RubyXsupreme’s first fruit.
« on: October 01, 2021, 09:37:50 PM »
First of my guava trees finished fruiting, a RubyXsupreme I bought from a local garden shop, in a 30-gallon fabric pot in a raised area of the yard that gets basically full sun from morning to sunset. Fruit ended up being a lot larger/rounder then what I expected from research I did prior to buying the tree. The plant ended up having about 7~ I believe fruits, all about the same size cept one that was about the size of a baseball.

I was actually a little disappointed at first, I’m used to eating and drinking all kinds of guava things due to the state I live in but was a bit surprised that the final fruit didn’t have the same flavor as all the juice/jam/jelly ect iv had, I mean I knew they add in citric acid to those things but the actual fruit just tasted…not bland but not as intense as I expected, the texture is also weird, the density of the flesh just feels weird, I found its 100X better if I just use a scoop of ice, some sugar and throw it into the blender to make a simple smoothy.

It’s the first of 10 cultivars I have growing currently, so hopefully the rest will fruit soon to compare against before I decide what to start planting into the ground.

So far I have
1 RubyXsupreme (pink)
3 Mexican cream (yellow (white))
1 Philippine Swirl (swirled white/pink inside)
1 White Indonesian (white)
1 Ka Hua Kula (pink, hawaii commercial cultivar)
1 Bangkok Giant (crisp white)
1 malaysian Red (red)
1 Bassateen El Sabahia (yellow (white), Egyptian commercial cultivar)
1 Barbi pink (pink)

Still looking into getting other cultivars but some of the rarer ones don’t pop up often and most nurseries in FL, AZ, CA were most of the guava trees are sold from don’t ship to Hawaii. Going to make a post in the buy/sell section, looking to get a Jalisco red, Dolores and Honeymoon variegated

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:14:12 PM by rdm »