Author Topic: Carport Cover  (Read 1930 times)

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
Carport Cover
« on: December 13, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
After a few years of success and some major dieback failure with different kinds of protection for this Owari, relatives settled on this solution last year.  A portable carport from Harbor Freight.  It has four sides, one of which is designed to be opened with zippers.  It covers 10' x 17' and is 9' high.  It goes on sale regularly.  It is big enough to handle two trees.  Fruiting this last season was the best yet, with well over 200 fruit. 

Some light, but not much gets through.  On the defunct Citrus Forum there is a posting of a citrus tree kept several weeks in total darkness without harm.  This carport demonstrates that fact also. It was covered for over two months. It showed no leaf drop or other damage when uncovered last spring.  One side is folded up on most days to keep the temperature down, but closed on cold nights.  The low last year was 10 F, -12 C.  It was kept above those temperatures but not necessarily above freezing with lights.  The frame was left in place all year.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Carport Cover
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »
That’s great. I wonder how it would hold up under 20 inches of snow. My metal frame foldable canapy that I used to cover my portable generator this weekend collapsed under weight of snow.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 08:28:32 PM »
Nice looking tree.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:52:40 PM »
Millet, The tree came from Stan.  It grew very well this past year, now that a large enough solution has been found.

Citradia, Harbor Freight sells those carports everywhere.  The frame is steel and the material is heavy duty.  They should work just fine under several inches of snow. 

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:03:57 PM »
Sounds good. I have Harbor Freight store near me but never been there; Ill check it out.

ZAP

• WESTERN N.AMERICA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »
My #####Neighbor brought his "Plant/tree" in and pruned all the leaves off of it in the evenings.  I guess he was so intoxicated that it never occurred that he was Projecting himself and the tree-bush up onto the roof & side.

Eventually after about six weeks he hung it upside down.  And brought in a couple more specimens. 

Point is - they grew inside quite well, grew larger, off the reduced light that passed through the roof of the car-cover.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 05:07:15 AM »
Nice trees. They do survive with little light and cold temperatures for up to 6-8 weeks.