Author Topic: White Jade Pineapple  (Read 75595 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: White Jade Pineapple
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
This White Jade plant keeps on surprising me. I was checking out the plant this morning and noticed it had a baby ratoon coming out of the ground next to the much older ratoon and it also has multiple suckers coming out from in between the leaves. All this is on top of the multiple slips coming off the peduncle!

That would have been enough surprising for the day but as I inspected the baby pineapple, I noticed some flecks of green growing from the uppermost portion of the baby pineapple, adjacent to the crown of the baby pineapple. Does anyone know what this is? Is the pineapple adding additional bracts or flowers? I was thinking the pineapple has a set number of flower sections as soon as it emerges?
Side view of flowering White Jade and her larger ratoon

Small ratoon

Suckers

What's this green growth?

Current state of the fruit

Simon

if its growing close to the crown than it could be a slip starting to grow sometimes slips can grow on some pineapple plants
under the crown just keep track of it let us know how it turns out. if you check the photo below you will see that it has
slips growing below the crown

Jimmy, you were right, the green growth is an under the crown slip. I counted 10 of them so far. I read that too many slips, suckers or ratoons can sometimes be considered detrimental to commercial growers but I don't mind it as I'm trying to increase the number of plants I have.

After all the planting material is harvested from this single plant I will probably remove all but one or two clones on each remaining plant so that more energy can go into the growth of the pineapple and the fewer number of clones.

I'm going to stick with my original intent to let this plant grow undisturbed. Seems like it's going to be super bushy with all the clones.

Simon

That's awesome now that you know what that growth was under the crown turned out to be slips :)
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »
All of my pineapples are growing like crazy now that it's warm and I started using the 18-6-8 Nutricote. I wonder if the excess Nitrogen is causing my flowering White Jade to produce all the Slips, suckers and ratoons. Regardless, I'm trying to get a good stockpile of these White Jades so all the clones are a good thing.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 03, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »
All of my pineapples are growing like crazy now that it's warm and I started using the 18-6-8 Nutricote. I wonder if the excess Nitrogen is causing my flowering White Jade to produce all the Slips, suckers and ratoons. Regardless, I'm trying to get a good stockpile of these White Jades so all the clones are a good thing.

Simon

It could be the Nitrogen... i think so cause when i started to use Acid fertilizer 30-10-10 like Jude told me to do
all my pineapple plants started to send up lots of suckers almost like weeds

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 09, 2017, 03:36:06 PM »
Here's another update of my White Jade fruit. I have neighbors stopping by all the time saying that the pineapple plant is so beautiful. I tell them it's a White Pineapple and they are dumbfounded so I have to explain that it has an edible soft core and is lower in acid.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »
I first noticed the bloom forming on June 12 so this pineapple is about three months old. It should be ready on about December 12 according to the 6 month rule but our weather will be getting cold around October so it may take longer for it to ripen. I'm still intending to bring this plant into my garage to ripen up the fruit under artificial lighting during the cooler months because I'm afraid it won't reach its full potential ripening up outside in the cold.

Simon

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2017, 01:45:02 AM »
Thats cool. I just harvested my first sugarloaf and it was 5 months on the button. When I first started growing pineapples I just let them go...kind of a "forget about it" kind of situation. Then I started to read about them and figured out I was doing everything wrong. Since that time I have given them Espoma Acid coupled with their Hollytone fert. with some liquid foliar feedings with Dyna's products. The growth difference is night and day, my white jade's were soooo slow and now they're rocketing past my other pineapple slips and pups. Good luck Simon. I can't wait to see the white jade ripe. Chris
-Chris

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2017, 08:16:59 AM »
Thanks Chris,

I've noticed the same regarding the accelerated growth rate with appropriate fertilizer applications. I have so many slips, suckers and rations on this plant, I hope it doesn't pull too much energy away from the fruit. I can't wait to taste the White Jade when it is ripe.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »
It's possible it could  pull too much energy away from the fruit but i have seen a-lot of other pineapple
growers that grow huge pineapples even with all the suckers and slips growing at the same time. i
guess it has a-lot to do with the growing conditions and how there taken care of

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2017, 08:55:39 PM »
I'll find out with this one. This things got clones coming out of everywhere! After this, I will have all the clones I need and I'll be removing all daughters from my next flowering White Jade to see if there is a difference. For all I know, the extra vegetative growths may give energy and nutrients to the fruit although I doubt it because I read on the pineapple book you sent me that some growers remove the clones. They must remove it for a good reason.

Simon

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2017, 02:24:46 AM »
My "first" homegrown pineapple was a "Red Spanish" -I believe. I had waited and waited for that pineapple and one day I smelled the tropical scent of pineapple. I proceeded to check it out and it was overrun with fruit flies! I don't know if it was because the skin was breached by a squirrel or they just descended upon it because of the fragrance?. Super bummed about that one. I wish you the best Simon. Chris
-Chris

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
They must remove it for a good reason.

Simon

Yeah, like removing "suckers" on tomato plants just like grandma used to.   To be a bit crude while making a point.... it's a group paradigm of "a thousand flies on a pile of shit can't be wrong".

Botanically, if any green plant part is providing food via photosynthesis, then why would you remove it?  Love to hear some science on this one.

Glad you have lots of clones Simon.  Too cool......

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »
Mark, I think the idea is that the plant is spending energy when it first pushes out the new buds and leaves. After that, maybe the new growth can sustain itself by photosynthesis.

The main plant is still diverting water and other resources from the ground to any side growth. If the growth becomes really vigorous, the plant could decide that it is now the main plant and give it the majority of the ground resources. If there's enough water and fertilizer around, maybe that's totally fine. Just my reasoning based on my feelings.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »
I hear you Mark, I'm going to remove suckers from some of them just to see how they grow. It would appear some of the photosynthates would go into the growth of the vegetative top but if there is extra, perhaps it would go into the fruit? Not really sure but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Simin

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
Interesting experiment!

I view plant parts as either sinks, where they take, or sources, where they give.   Check this out - http://fruitandnuteducation.ucdavis.edu/generaltopics/Tree_Growth_Structure/Sources_Sinks/

Mark, I think the idea is that the plant is spending energy when it first pushes out the new buds and leaves. After that, maybe the new growth can sustain itself by photosynthesis.

Good point fyliu.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »
Hey Mark, thanks for the reading. I'm a Bio major so most of that was pretty basic info but still good info. The reason why I think the clones could be a potential sink is because of my observations growing the White Jade and other Pineapple plants when they are simply growing vegetatively.

My young pineapple plants grow slowly even without a fruit. That leads me to believe that they are not getting much photosynthetic energy, especially when they are small. The clones do not have their own roots so there is no energy expenditure on growing out roots but this also means that the clones must be getting water and some nutrients from the parent plant. Some water and nutrients will probably also be absorbed from in between the leaves.

I will take Brix readings from this first fruit with all clones growing as well as from my future fruit with all clones removed but of course there are much too many un controlled variables to consider this a good experiment 😁

Simon

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2017, 02:08:23 AM »
I think I twisted off about 7 or 8 suckers + slips on my failed Red Spanish last year. They are all kicking butt presently. Most of them were in the 8-12 inch range. One thing came to mind about the removal of pups and slips, be careful not to injure the skin of the pineapple. Upon thinking about my failure, I think I may have accidentally caused a nick in the pineapple which caused the fruitfully infestation and demise of said pineapple. Just a thought. Chris
-Chris

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2017, 02:09:06 AM »
Fruit fly. Damn you autocorrect! Chris
-Chris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »
Some water and nutrients will probably also be absorbed from in between the leaves.
Simon

Hawaiian commercial growers foliar feed in the cup using boom sprayers.  Water is applied via irrigation tubing.  Apparently the root system is more of an anchor than a part used for nutrient uptake by the plant.  My drill is to feed using Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, 9-3-6 in the cup letting it overflow into the pot with a two gallon bucket.   https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/f_n-7.pdf

BTW, I cut down to a 2" stub a mother plant that had fruited leaving the pup alone.  It's growing pretty fast.  I mean, why disturb it and the awesome established root system if you don't have to?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 13, 2017, 08:21:01 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Chris. I will consider using a knife to remove the clones to avoid injuries that may lead to fruit fly infestations. This pineapple is pretty good size for only being half grown. I'll keep everyone updated.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 13, 2017, 08:26:13 AM »
Some water and nutrients will probably also be absorbed from in between the leaves.
Simon

Hawaiian commercial growers foliar feed in the cup using boom sprayers.  Water is applied via irrigation tubing.  Apparently the root system is more of an anchor than a part used for nutrient uptake by the plant.  My drill is to feed using Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, 9-3-6 in the cup letting it overflow into the pot with a two gallon bucket.   https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/f_n-7.pdf

BTW, I cut down to a 2" stub a mother plant that had fruited leaving the pup alone.  It's growing pretty fast.  I mean, why disturb it and the awesome established root system if you don't have to?

Good point Mark. Just be sure to avoid putting even slow release pelleted fertilizer in the central crown as I've burnt back a few plants already. The foliar fertilizers work great. I've stopped using the Dyna Grow now that I've got the 12 month Nutricote but I should really start back up again, I've just been so busy with the kids.

I wish I started growing Pineapples sooner, they are so much fun and a great conversation piece for all my neighbors.

Simon

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2017, 02:57:50 AM »
Pineapple, Mango, and Coffee seem to get the best rise out of colleagues at work. "You can grow that here?" (As if I have some special space dedicated to them). It's odd (to me)  that people think it's cold here. Great job Simon! We can't wait for the fruit. Chris
-Chris

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
been with out power just got it back on or would have replied sooner.

When i start my pineapple plants i always start them off with slow release  fertilizer
to help with strong root growth even though the pineapple doesn't feed from the
root system that's why i foliar feed once a month and all my plants look great

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »
Fruit fly. Damn you autocorrect! Chris

Hi i grow Red Spanish Pineapple to never had no problems with them i dont take the
suckers or slips off the plant till the fruit is ripe and been cut off the mother plant
than it makes it more easy to remove them and not get cut with the sharp spines by
cutting out the sharp leaves makes it easy to get to the suckers

right now my red Spanish pineapple plants are huge but haven't fruited yet but I'm
sure they will once winter gets here... i will take a photo soon and post it 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
This article linked by Waterbug in another thread says that plants with basal suckers and slips yield smaller fruit. https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pineapple.html#Propagation

Once I have enough clones, I will start selecting superior plants which yield larger and sweeter fruit with fewer clones. The basal slips and suckers do however appear to help with shading and prevent potential sun burn which is a worry for my hot dry summers here in San Diego.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 18, 2017, 01:57:23 AM »
Of the white jade plants I got from Adam, only one has extra growth. It has a sucker at the bottom of the plant and 3 at the base of the fruit. The other 3 just have fruit only. 1 I gave away died.