Author Topic: Caring for new grafts  (Read 2579 times)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Caring for new grafts
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
All of a sudden I have quite a few new grafts on hand: mostly avocado (in ground), one loquat (in ground) and *maybe* one guava (in pot). I am totally obsessed and checking them way too frequently... Considering it's end of May already, what precautions would I need to protect these newly-taken grafts from the elements and summer heat? Paper bag / shade cloth?  I read it's better to keep the parafilm and grafting tape on for about 2 more weeks to make sure the union is secure, as long as the tape does not girdle?

On the side note, the unsuccessful grafts rotted as rainwater got trapped inside the transparent tape. Is there anything to be done in my future attempts? Tips truly appreciated!!!

I bumped into the above photo from myavocadotrees.com and wished I used my "tree wound" on hand: somehow thought it's for bark grafting only!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:39:16 PM by funlul »
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Caring for new grafts
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
Don't remove the parafilm. It will expand and break.
Don't worry about taking the grafting tape off until you get at least a few leaves hardened off. It won't girdle the branch that soon. Maybe wait a few months. Birds landing on your graft can break it too after you take off the tape. Sometimes I forget and leave the cherimoya grafts on for a year.

I'm not sure how water is trapped in transparent tape. My grafts are pretty tight and don't have room for outside water. Maybe you're doing a different style graft.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:20:03 PM »
I'm not sure how water is trapped in transparent tape. My grafts are pretty tight and don't have room for outside water. Maybe you're doing a different style graft.

Standard V graft with very lousy wrapping. I could always see vapor at the extra room within tape...

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:50:08 PM »
As Fyliu suggests, don't remove the parafilm at all.  It protects the wound, conserves moisture, won't strangle the branch, and will eventually fall off on it's own.

Shade cloth would be nice.  Not total darkness.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »
Thanks! I had zero luck with veneer grafting so far and will likely stick with V for a while. Would you recommend using tree wound? :)

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
Grafts are looking good Jane, make sure u paint the woods  later with 50:50 latex paint to protect them from sunburn.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »
Someone recommended toilet paper rolls to shade it from the sun. Haven't tried it yet, cannot comment beyond the idea. Just throwing this out there.

Best experiment would be to measure the temperature of a shaded graft vs direct sunlight.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 08:41:15 PM »
Thank you FrankDrebinOfFruits! Hmmmmm toilet paper rolls~

Grafts are looking good, make sure u paint the woods  later with 50:50 latex paint to protect them from sunburn.

Haha not my photo, sorry for not being clear. But the success rate on avocado greenwood was indeed very high, despite my lousy technique! Success rate on everything else... not so much.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:43:01 PM by funlul »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 11:28:05 PM »
V graft is good. I think you'll need to make wrap it tighter next time. I don't do this but I once saw a good grafter pull up the pot by the avocado scion.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »
Like it was mentioned shade cloth and paint branch or trunk with 50/50 water -white latex paint to prevent sunburn! Congrats on successful graft's. 8)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:23 PM »
Avocado tree after topping and grafting. I'll worry about selecting branches later ???  just hoping they survive the summer.