Author Topic: Mammey Apple  (Read 1388 times)

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
Mammey Apple
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:27:25 PM »
Hello members,

I have read in some web pages that mammey apple (mammey americana) can become poisonous to animals and even human. Is this trues? some site say that the seed is extremely poisonous. I think the friends in mammey growing area can clear this doubt please.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Mammey Apple
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 05:09:56 PM »

luketrollope

• Australia QLD Julatten 16.4 degrees south 455 meters elevation
    • View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 02:38:21 AM »
Friend there is not a lot of information on Mammea americana out there. I can tell you my experience with the tree. Firstly not a lot of Mammea americana will fruit on their own but some trees do fruit very well on their own  so I am thinking there is male female and hermaphrodite / self pollinating. Better to plant 3 trees it seems. The flowers are very beautiful and fragrant. The seeds take a few months to germinate but then grow very quickly. I think the seeds could be classified as semi recalcitrant and would store for several months if kept slightly moist. The trees are very hardy and tolerant of  flood and drought. They are a great ornamental, shade and screen tree. They don't drop a lot of branches but the wood is brittle.

As for the fruit it can be hard to judge when they are ready to pick but they seem to fall to the ground when they are ready. Often they are hard even when they drop and need to be ripened off the tree. I don't think it is ever possible to pick a fruit and eat it straight from the tree it needs to soften off the tree. I am thinking this may be a reason it has a reputation for being slightly toxic in that the fruit needs to be fully ripe and soft.  Even when the fruit is “soft” it is still quite hard and it is best to cut it with a knife. It is as hard as a hardish rock melon and a similar colour. The flavour is good not so strong flavour and is similar to a apricot but with a more fruity flavour. I have never experienced any ill effects from the fruit. I have a dog and kids and never worry about the tree. The seeds if they are poisonous would be very hard to swallow as they are very large and impossible to eat unless you happen to have a pet pelican.

I would like to know if anyone has mastered how to judge when they are ripe. There must be a way maybe by scratching them and looking for a colour change like with sapodilla or something else. I have just picked them when i think they look ready but some don't ripen properly like that they will soften eventually  but not be good. The ones off he ground all so not all ripen properly and that may be because fruit bats knock them off early.  Anyway I recommend the tree and am just about to plant about 10 more myself here as they do well  in my area in marginal soil.

Keep it fruity!

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 05:37:32 AM »
Thanks dwfl and luketrollope.

The lengthy explanation of luketrollope made me to laugh at several points when I went through. Anyway, loved to read all. In fact I was worried about what I said before having read the article in dwfl's link.

I have planted one seed from Raul which has sprouted and the shoot is growing like a red arrow. Love to watch daily. I found another seed from Colombo which has not yet sprouted. But the two seeds are in similar shape but Raul's seed is very big. I am waiting to see how the smaller one sprouts.

Anyway, merry christmas and happy new year to both of you and to all members of the Forum

Rgds