Author Topic: CHIRONJA GRAPEFRUIT  (Read 3759 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
CHIRONJA GRAPEFRUIT
« on: December 03, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »
Does anyone know the hardiness of this grapefruit? I know it comes from Puerto Rico but I have not been able to find hardiness.
My name is Cindy

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
Re: CHIRONJA GRAPEFRUIT
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 10:37:01 AM »
If you seek cold hardy grapefruit go for some russian types like Gruszevednij or try to get hands on Enzo or Welker.  ;)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 05:34:28 PM »
If I find this one I will keep it inside during winter. I read that it was one of the best tasting grapefruits out there.
My name is Cindy

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »
The Chironja Grapefuit is as far I know not a real Grepfruit. It is presumably < hybrid between Grapefruit and Orange, therefore also called Orangelo

It is said that in the year 1956 Carlos G. Moscoso of the Department of Horticulture of the University of Puerto Rico found a wild seedling tree in the rural mountainous Angeles and Caguanas areas of Utuado municipality, which produced large, bright yellow fruit, and other seedling trees were found in isolated areas among the coffee plantations.  The name Chironja is a combination of Chi(na), the local term used for the sweet orange, and (to)ronja, the Spanish word for grapefruit.

In https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/chironja_3909.html it is also listed as a Grapefruit hybrid - with the marking CRC 3909.

According to knowledge that it is presumably a hybrif Grapefruit whicht is not hardy and also sweet orange which is also not hardy I agree with you to put it during the winter into inside or into a greenhouse in any case is the safe method - if you can get this citrus variety in your country
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 05:16:50 AM »
In my yard, which is borderline zone 9a/9b, the chironja is more cold hardy than grapefruits / pummelos.  It may be close to oranges in cold hardiness.  It also takes the Phoenix sun and heat as well as oranges, which is better than grapefruits / pomelos.

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 05:52:37 AM »
Snowjunky why are you thinking Grapefruit was less hardy than Oranges? Hardyness depends on Variety. I know two real C. paradisi that can tolerate a minimum of -12°C. Do you know a comparable orange tree?

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 01:41:02 AM »
Snow junky, what part of phoenix are you in?  Would love to sample a chironja if you ever have fruit available.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 05:01:09 PM »
Hello Zitrusgärtner,
which sorts do you think to take a minimum of - 12 Grad ?
I know Bloomsweet ( from reading about) and have it, but still small without flowering yet ?
thanks for sharing
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:12:02 AM by tedburn »

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 04:52:36 AM »
Snowjunky why are you thinking Grapefruit was less hardy than Oranges? Hardyness depends on Variety. I know two real C. paradisi that can tolerate a minimum of -12°C. Do you know a comparable orange tree?

Because it's "in my yard" and I'm trying to provide useful info from my experience.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 04:54:52 AM »
Snow junky, what part of phoenix are you in?  Would love to sample a chironja if you ever have fruit available.

Hi Andrew,
I'm in PV and my tree is only 2 years in ground from a 5 gallon pot.  Maybe it'll fruit this year.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
I have a Chironja blooming now. Im wondering how much fruits will leave on the not so big plant and how they will look like.
Someone out there who already harvested some fruits and could gently show some pictures, of fruit on tree and cut open ? Some general information as fruit taste and if endured some frost the frost hardiness would be great - thanks in advance.
Best regards Frank

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 10:43:41 PM »
I top worked my Chironja to an orange because it's not good.  It was the CRC 4045 from UC Riverside.
It's productive and cold hardy, but is seedy and has dry granulation problems two years straight.
It's also on the sour side and lack a nice flavor.  There's probably a much better Chironja in Puerto Rico.

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 10:53:41 PM »
Rojo Blanco turned out pretty good.  It's CRC 4029 from UC Riverside.
Nice rich flavor and sweet/sour balance.  Just a hint of grapefruit so not much bitterness and not many seeds.
It's not very vigorous and probably cold sensitive like a pummelo.
I read it only develops good flavor with heat.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 03:50:49 AM »
I have tried Chironja fruit, I thought it tasted basically like 50 /50 orange juice and grapefruit juice, which I could do by mixing juice of the other two anyway.
It is an interesting variety, but not high on my list.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2023, 07:07:53 PM »
Been growing Chironja here in Nipomo for about 15 years.  Seeds were from Puerto Rico.  Big tree like a grapefruit, green and full leaves.  Fruit looks like a grapefruit.  Grapefruit here on the cool CA coast are sour and bitter. Pummelo are better.  Just picked a bunch of Chironja to juice and they are not quite ripe yet. Usable. Another month... We do not have the heat to have a real grapefruit, but the Chironja is a nice combination of orange and grapefruit and develops good sweetness during the year.  Here it is more like a large orange, full of juice, peels like a navel orange.  As good as a Temple Tangor, but larger fruit, more productive.  An orange with a bit of grapefruit taste. One of my favorites.  Frost concerns: it is never bothered, but our short-time low this year was 26 and damaged several 3 ft tall mangos (that I should have covered).

snowjunky

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 02:05:13 AM »
Sounds like you got the good Chironja Jack!  Why don't you donate some wood to UC Riverside and tell them to replace their two bad Chironja versions.  Maybe call it Chironjack.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 08:27:42 AM »
Nice thought...just a luck of the draw with seedlings obtained from Puerto Rico.  Have a second tree (different seedling, same batch).  Have not had fruit from it yet (competing with two large macadamias)  Sure is a beutiful tree.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 04:36:12 PM »
Typically grapefruit is more cold hardy than orange. That sounds like the orange side might be a hybrid with sour orange or something. Or a really cold hardy orange at least which there's a lot of variation.

Grapefruit is pretty good in Florida. Red grapefruit is fantastic. Though greening killed them all.