Author Topic: Rooting success on cuttings? Asking for personal experiences!  (Read 1592 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Rooting success on cuttings? Asking for personal experiences!
« on: December 11, 2019, 10:42:23 PM »
I have received many cuttings and seeds from an amazing member here. I am wondering if any of you have experience in the difficulty of rooting these cuttings and fruiting and such. I have meiwa kumquat, finger limes, and ponderosa lemon cuttings along with a ton of meiwa fruit. I was told many times that kumquats suck on their own roots, so is rooting them ideal? I am really looking forward to the meiwa as I just tried its fruit, I didn’t know it would taste so good! And the finger lime of course.

Otherwise I have two month old rootstock that may size up. Thoughts and opinions?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:35:50 AM by franklazar26 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting success on cuttings? Asking for personal experiences!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
I also have heard many times that Kumquat on its own roots is not a good idea.  However, I have never been able to find actual reliable evidence, or locate a study to verify this statement as being true. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 02:53:29 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »
My personal experience is: After hearing many times that kumquat do not do well on their roots I planted Nagami  and Meiwa seed. That was 12 years ago. Both cultivars ate tall, wide, prolific bearing trees. They are happy and get standard maintenance. I can only say that kumquat are fine on their own roots.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »
I call BS, I have a 15 year old 25 ft Changshu that is doing great.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
Okay awesome, well I will attempt rooting them then. Has anyone tried rooting them before?
Thanks everyone!

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 04:18:06 PM »
I do not root kumquat. Reasons are:

Rooted cuttings do not develope a tap root. Therefore they are subject to be blown over/uprooted by winds. Kumquat cuttings are slow growers. I find that starting with seed allows a faster root growt system. A well started seed will outgrow a cutting in the first season.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »
I didn’t know much about their growth habit. Maybe it’s better off to just stick with seed grown then. Don’t they have to grow out of their juvenile stage to produce? These cuttings were taken from a producing plant with amazing fruit. I recall on one of my previous posts that kumquats can fruit even within a year or two under very good care? I want to have great fruit is my biggest concern! They will be indoors as is so root anchorage isn’t entirely a big deal.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »
You will be good then if you will be inside. Kumquat from cuttings will bear fruit quickly. From seed you are right....they have to grow out of their juvenile stage and reach proper node count. From seed they will usually bear fruit within 24 months with good care. It requires a little skill to start citrus from cuttings, other than Meyer Lemon. It can bs done with the right procedure and a good rooting hormone. Beginners  usually have limited success with some citrus cuttings....read about it and study the procedure and dive in.....nothing like "hands on" to teach a fellow. Good luck with  them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 06:05:52 PM by Bomand »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 06:42:35 PM »
You will be good then if you will be inside. Kumquat from cuttings will bear fruit quickly. From seed you are right....they have to grow out of their juvenile stage and reach proper node count. From seed they will usually bear fruit within 24 months with good care. It requires a little skill to start citrus from cuttings, other than Meyer Lemon. It can bs done with the right procedure and a good rooting hormone. Beginners  usually have limited success with some citrus cuttings....read about it and study the procedure and dive in.....nothing like "hands on" to teach a fellow. Good luck with  them.

Thanks for the info!

I currently have many cuttings going, no roots yet but lots of foliage growth on ones around 3 weeks old from the start. I just use water bottle tops, solo cups and a 70% perlite and 30% cocoa coir. Germination mat and a 200W T5. I put a ponderosa, 2 kumquat, and 6 finger lime today. Others I’ve had going for 3 weeks are a key lime, 9 xei Shan, and other sour kumquat. Again no roots yet, just lots of leaf growth and even a flower bud on the lime! Hoping for some roots to show soon. I also just used my take root powder.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »
franklazar, does not have to concern himself with wind blow over, as he is in zone 5.  Therefore his tree will not be growing outdoors.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 02:36:12 PM »
I root from cuttings ishang papeda, shikuwasa, key & tahiti lime and sometimes PT.
Some root well but roots are not going to last long, root rot sets in after 2-4 years such as lemon or kaffir lime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk