Author Topic: Foliar spray with by-products from meat wastes  (Read 1441 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Foliar spray with by-products from meat wastes
« on: January 03, 2020, 03:59:19 PM »
I was reading an article in a text book  titled "Advances In Citrus Nutrition", published by the National Research Center for Citrus, that concerned floral spraying of citrus with a solution of products derived from the meat waste industry.   It said....In the case of biostimulators obtained from animal tissues, they contain numerous organic and inorganic compounds naturally occurring in these organisms, and exhibit a broad spectrum of the physiological and biochemical influences on plants.

The article did not go into a deep explanation, but did say that in many countries, this type of biostimulation is gaining popularity.  Of course many of us have heard of using sprays directed from the fish industry, but this is the first time I have come across using sprays derived from the meat waste industry. Personally I have never tried it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:19:23 PM by Millet »

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
Re: Foliar spray with by-products from meat wastes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »
You must try a foliar spray consisting of seaweed and molasses. I add a teaspoon of each to a spray bottle. Citrus' blow up with this solution.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 08:33:36 PM »
As a foliar spray using products from the meat waste industry, meat is basically composed of water, protein, various amino acids, minerals, fats, fatty acids, vitamins and other bioactive components, and small quantities of carbohydrates.   As what is brought up in in the book "Advances In Citrus Nutrition" what could these ingredients do for a citrus tree, or even can a citrus tree utilize them to its benefit?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:19:39 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
Seaweed and Molasses????????? I would love to see the research behind this. Im thinking of all the trouble to turn seaweed into a spray that could be absorbed via folage

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 11:09:03 PM »
You purchase liquid seaweed or kelp extract from the store.

Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:48:15 PM »
Seaweeds contain a lot of iodine.Also a lot of iron and heavy metals like arsenicum.
But i think its the iodine that ,,makes the citrus trees explode,, .

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 11:51:49 PM »
This is the first time I have red anything of meat foliar spray.  And as I wrote, the book actually had little to say about it, other than it is a growing practice in some countries.  Any  thoughts?  I really don't know how beneficial it might be to a tree to mess with it???
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:54:55 PM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 03:37:59 AM »
I too have not read of "meat based" sprays for citfus. Not a lot of definitive information out there. As far as seawood & kelp sprays ....just another, of many, ways to fertilize. I sometimes spray with fish emulsion. I guess one could consider fish emulsion  meat based. Just not a lot of "good" research to be had.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 06:36:23 AM »
Seaweeds are like meat because algae are not plants but protists wich have all the ,,essential aminoacids,, found in meat and not found in plants.
Those aminoacids decompose into amines( cadaverine,putrescine,etc) wich give the algae a rotting smell just like meat .

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »
Arsenicum is not a heavy metal.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 09:51:32 PM »
The element Magnesium is also a mobile nutrient, therefore the deficiency symptom shows on the older leaves of the tree.  If you wish to do a magnesium foliar spray, completely dissolve 4 oz. of Epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate) in one gallon of WARM water and apply in the morning or late afternoon.  Do not apply at high temperature or low humidly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk