Author Topic: Cherimoya tasting events in Southern California  (Read 1338 times)

harana

• USA, California, Sacramento, 9b
    • View Profile
Cherimoya tasting events in Southern California
« on: February 11, 2020, 04:44:39 PM »
I am looking for cherimoya tasting events in Southern California. I know Irvine had one last year but I did not find out about it until it was already done. Are there any others?
How do I find out about the details on them so I can plan to attend? This Cherimoya lover will be tremendously obliged.  :)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya tasting events in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 07:14:35 PM »
They've pretty much ended that due to over-attendance. Their grove can only handle so many interested people and interest in annonas has been surging as of late. Additionally fluctuations in weather have caused recent crops to be marginal at best, and difficult for anyone without a greenhouse to produce with any consistency.

There aren't a whole lot of commercial operations specializing in annona, and if they are, they probably have a few varieties instead of a large number.

You can see if you have a local CRFG chapter willing to put one on.

harana

• USA, California, Sacramento, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
They've pretty much ended that due to over-attendance. Their grove can only handle so many interested people and interest in annonas has been surging as of late. Additionally fluctuations in weather have caused recent crops to be marginal at best, and difficult for anyone without a greenhouse to produce with any consistency.

There aren't a whole lot of commercial operations specializing in annona, and if they are, they probably have a few varieties instead of a large number.

That is very disheartening. I was looking forward to trying many different varieties. Are there any sellers of Cherimoya varieties in California? I would like to buy fruit from them. According to some fruit lovers, Cherimoya is the number one tasting fruit. I believe that too but maybe right behind Anwar-Ratol mango.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »

That is very disheartening. I was looking forward to trying many different varieties. Are there any sellers of Cherimoya varieties in California? I would like to buy fruit from them. According to some fruit lovers, Cherimoya is the number one tasting fruit. I believe that too but maybe right behind Anwar-Ratol mango.

There have been a number of producers who sell online, but the difficulty is that there aren't a whole lot being produced in greenhouses or by other means which would protect against the intense weather changes we have been having the last few year. Inopportune rains cause large crops to split, intense summer heat has caused excessive fruit drop, and most of the growers are pollinating by hand.

As you can imagine, there hasn't been much to go around, and prices have not been stable. I would look at a farmers market near you and see if anyone has offerings, but don't get your hopes too high.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 11:14:22 PM »
Who here had large crops splitting from the rain? I didnt have a single split fruit.  I feel really optimistic about future cherimoya crops here and plan to put in a lot more trees this year. 

Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 11:28:38 PM »
Cherimoyas are definitely excellent.  Mangoes are sheer bliss, and they come in many different flavors!
John

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 10:01:05 PM »
I too had a decent crop from both my young cherimoya trees and a 30ft tall older tree with no split fruit.  Fortunately, all the fruit are harvested. The recent cold snap did a number on the young tree leaves.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 10:29:32 PM »
Ive had excellent crops of Cherimoyas about the last 8 years or so. I’ve had a few fruit crack but only a couple after the heavy rains. I only have a few fruit left but my late season fruit have been excellent.

To the original poster, there used to be online sources where you could order Cherimoyas like Cherimoya.com but I’m not sure if they’re still in business. Some Sprouts supermarkets have them on sale right now but they’re the B grade fruit.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk