Author Topic: Family Tree  (Read 1757 times)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Family Tree
« on: October 28, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »
Is anyone aware of a listing of the biological classification of fruit trees (along with the common name)?
Everyone talks terms of genus-species but I think it would be interesting to see the family, order, and class of the fruit world.

I think it would interesting to see how mangosteen relates to pineapple for example.  How far up the tree do you need to go to find relation.

I would like it with the common names if possible, my eyes can start to roll in the back of my head with Latin overload.

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »
I've been having fun looking up families here: http://sciweb.nybg.org/Science2/hcol/lists/myrtaceae.html

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »
This one used to be my favorite, but the search function appears to be broken so its really hard to use now:

http://crescentbloom.com/Plants/Familia/C/Clusiaceae.htm
Shane

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:14:21 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »
Yikes. Okay, all conifers are in an entirely seperate division from other cone producing plants, but are all contained in the the same order. Of cone producing plants (cycadophyta), there are, by division, coniferophyta (conifers, such as giant sequoia), cycadophyta (cycads, such as sago palm), gnetophyta (such as welwitschia), and ginkgophyta (with only one species, ginkgo biloba). As with conifers, most of these divisions contain a single order, so it would be nonsensical to list pines and firs as more closely related to welwitschia than cypress, sequoia, and yew.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk