Author Topic: How much longer Untill mango scion is available  (Read 3513 times)

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
How much longer Untill mango scion is available
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »
I'm really itching to try grafting 😝

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: How much longer Untill mango scion is available
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 04:56:45 AM »
If the buds are swollen and almost opening then it's a good time to graft them.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 05:17:30 AM »
The best time for grafting mango is now, but you can pick scions and graft (in greenhouse) year round.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 05:37:06 AM »
The best time for grafting mango is now, but you can pick scions and graft (in greenhouse) year round.

I graft year around outside in full sun. Works fine in my climate.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:20:53 AM »
If the buds are swollen and almost opening then it's a good time to graft them.

wrong, you do not want buds at such an advanced stage.  Then again, coming from you i would expect tge information to be wrong.
- Rob

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:36:53 AM »

wrong, you do not want buds at such an advanced stage.  Then again, coming from you i would expect tge information to be wrong.

I was thinking of grafting a couple seedlings I have. My mature tree has buds formed in some places, but they haven't yet started to push.

Going by this resource it seems like now is a good time, at least for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jqlX6hqPno

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »
OMG now!! Would any one in Orange county have any thing they could sell/donate!? I'll take pretty much anything besides Tommy hahaha

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:59:07 PM »
OMG now!! Would any one in Orange county have any thing they could sell/donate!? I'll take pretty much anything besides Tommy hahaha

Osito,

I just tip-pruned the topmost branches of my Glenn tree, where flowers failed to fruit.  So in 3-6 weeks, I may have some decent scions available for you to experiment with.
Warren

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »
I understand about the scion timing, but what about the root stock -- does it requires any special physical condition?

Btw, last month I bought 3 mango plants from Mimosa in East LA. I selected those plants based on the trunk size and the top part condition. This morning while watering the NDM I noticed its root stock had a shrinking section, around 3" above the ground and the bark around it was hard to finger nail. I think it was in this condition when I bought it -- I completely over-looked it. I pilled open a small area and it was brown and dried, but the top part is sending out new shoot with big size leaves. I think the dead bark has not completely encircled the trunk yet, and I am thinking getting a seedling and plant it nearby and tie up the two trees together for a two-root system to save the NDM graft. This will be my third dead NDM in 3 years if it won't make it. These plants have too many diseases.

Sapote

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 11:31:09 PM »
Thank you warren! I Guess I'll order that grafting tape already! Yay!!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 03:48:18 AM »
Thank you warren! I Guess I'll order that grafting tape already! Yay!!

Osito, try to match the cambium on both (clean cuts) as much as you can and bag the plant with a leaf of two to increase humidity inside. Ask for scions with swollen buds, that haven't pushed yet.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 03:55:12 PM »
I just tried my first ever graft today. I hope it works out. I went with the veneer graft as posted in the Fairchild video earlier in the thread. It seemed easy to do with a very sharp knife, but I guess we'll know!

I had seen some other videos where people in other countries use plastic grocery sacks for grafting tape. I went with this since I'm not sure if I'll really get into grafting seriously enough to order parafilm and real grafting tape and a good grafting knife. But if it works out it may be worth it if I can trade for some good scions next year!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
in good times when buds are swelled and rootstock is flowing juices, most grafts would take, if not, a good grafting tape seals the moisture and prevents the wood from drying out, thereby increasing the chances of success. Grafting is fun, you will love it. Mangoes are not so easy to gain success, I have had 100% at times and then under 30% at other times depending on when I grafted. You learn by practicing it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk