Author Topic: Eugenia florida  (Read 1740 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Eugenia florida
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:19:31 AM »
I have 2 Eugenia florida that I raised from seed. I put one out in full sun and it
went downhill. I dug it up and put it on the porch in a 15 gallon pot. I was trying to figure out
what caused the decline? Does anyone have experience with this tree?

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenia florida
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
I have several 3-year old EFlorida and dozens of species of Eugenias/Plinias/Myrtaceaes and they're thriving SoFl Zone 10. Most of them have had life-threatening problems with weird fungus in SoFl that makes the plants decay over time by killing tips and new growth. I take these 2 critical steps which have guaranteed success. I hope this helps others with similar problems.

1. I now have a 100% fungicide strategy with small plants (under 2 ft) for 2-3 years until they're more mature and don't need this and start fruiting. I can not emphasize this enough: it has totally saved most of my eugenias/myrtaceaeas and helped them thrive: FUNGICIDE STRATEGY MIX THREE PRODUCTS: Do not mix copper with other fungicides! A. Aliette Bayer is the ONLY real systemic fungicide! from DoMyOwnPest Contro, B. Salt of Potassium Phosphate (Agrisel BioPhos Pro Systemic Fungicide - 2.5 Gallons DoMyOwn or Agri-fos), C.Chlorothalonil (Daconil Docket WS Fungicide - Generic Daconil Weather Stik) from DoMyOwnPest Control. I mix these 3 products and apply every couple of months as a leaf spray.

2. iron and minors 2-3 times a year plus fertilizer. PLants will still decay from fungus even with adequate iron/minors/fertilizer. I think sun or part shade is no problem.
Good luck. F. 
Federico
Homestead, FL

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
The tree I dug up is over 4'. It was doing fine and I put it in the ground and
it kept flushing but the new growth didn't turn green. Instead it had burnt tips on the leaves
and was a yellowish red color instead of green. I didn't hit it with any fertilizer
I just planted it in mix of sand and compost. My other tree is closer to 2 feet and it was getting
afternoon sun and it was looking bad still in the pot. I put it back in the shade and it is doing better?

Federico, you have plants in full sun with no ill effects? After three years how big are your trees?
I am watering with rain or pond water and I will try spraying fungicide on them. I was inclined to think
the sun was the problem or my ph in my soil. My ph is around 7 or slightly lower. Thank you for replying

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 03:04:34 AM »
I have one in a 15 gallon in shade , almost no direct sun , and it’s flushing and growing good. I’m sure you get more and hotter sun than I.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »
i have 3 from seed
1 in mostly shade, the other 2 in almost full sun.
the one in mostly shade leaves are a bit darker,
which is not unusual in my experience with most tropical fruit.
the leaves will utilize more iron and magnesium for darker leaves which photosynthesize more.

the new growth on the 2 in the sun are a bit pale and once in a while do get crispy.
they are in a raised bed, and summers here can dry that soil out quick.
i use tons of organic matter, compost and mulch.

my guess is the pale new growth is due to a lack of nitrogen mainly (i dont use much in the way of chemical ferts)
ive hit it with a small amount of iron (i need to add more) and with epsom
the epsom did darken the mature leaves, but, i wouldnt use too much (1/2 teaspoonn in a 15gal or so ??)
it could make leaf burn worse, especially if it gets a lot of sun+heat and the soil dries.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
The tree I dug up is over 4'. It was doing fine and I put it in the ground and
it kept flushing but the new growth didn't turn green. Instead it had burnt tips on the leaves
and was a yellowish red color instead of green. I didn't hit it with any fertilizer
I just planted it in mix of sand and compost. My other tree is closer to 2 feet and it was getting
afternoon sun and it was looking bad still in the pot. I put it back in the shade and it is doing better?

Federico, you have plants in full sun with no ill effects? After three years how big are your trees?
I am watering with rain or pond water and I will try spraying fungicide on them. I was inclined to think
the sun was the problem or my ph in my soil. My ph is around 7 or slightly lower. Thank you for replying

Mi trees are about 3 year-old, 4 ft tall and starting to flower. Probably get 20% shade (not full sun). I have a feeling it's an easy tree, but fungus and lack of minor can affect. My ph is very alkaline and my well water is very alkaline but it seems to do just fine with iron/minors supplementation. With many eugenias it's challenging to get them to 2 years (2 ft?); afterwards they are much more resilient.
Federico
Homestead, FL