Author Topic: Free Clean Water  (Read 1935 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Free Clean Water
« on: June 17, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
I have two large barns on the farm.  There are 91 black plastic 55-gallon open top drums under the eves around the two buildings.  I get all the water I can possibly use to water my greenhouse (32-ft wide by 72-ft. long). The trees love the rain water.   I use a 5-gallon per minute barrel pump to water the trees and other  miscellaneous plants in the greenhouse. - Millet

mksmth

• Tulsa Oklahoma 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Free Clean Water
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:49:45 PM »
We have had 26 inches of rain in the last 60 days.  i really regret not having a rain barrel for when we have to long summer stretches of no water.  Tropical storm Bill is dumping a lot on us now.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »
Plants certainly do grow faster with rain water.  I'm not sure if that's because its more acidic or lacks the minerals present in most ground water.

Millet, do you have a mosquito problem with so many open barrels of water?   

I use a sealed 5,000 liter tank that captures water from roof guttering.  It has a homemade first-flow diverter so the water is also potable.

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »
John, Colorado is an semi-arid area, counting all the winter snow and the summer rains the state averages about 12 inches of moisture a year.   I mainly control the mosquitoes just by putting the lids on the barrels.  It takes just a few minuted to slide them off when a rain is expected, after all the rains are not all that often.  Of course I don't have to do that during the fall and winter months.   I also use Summit's Mosquito Dunks.  the Dunks kills mosquitoes, but are safe for animals and the water can safely be used to water plants and filling bird baths. - Millet

RyanL

• Orange County, NC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:38:34 PM »
Are there any concerns about tar or chemicals made for roofing shingles contaminating the water? 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »
Ryan I really don't believe that the roofing would be a concern, however, my barns are covered with metal roofing.  - Millet