Author Topic: Can I plant dragon fruit directly bellow avocado trees?  (Read 1819 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Can I plant dragon fruit directly bellow avocado trees?
« on: January 31, 2018, 12:22:22 AM »
I have my avocados on a south facing wall. I've heard of farmers planting dragon fruit as a companion to the avocado. Anyone know if this would work?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Can I plant dragon fruit directly bellow avocado trees?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:52:57 AM »
I have my avocados on a south facing wall. I've heard of farmers planting dragon fruit as a companion to the avocado. Anyone know if this would work?

I have done it...  but the Dragon Fruit was in pots and the Avocado tree was pruned heavily to let in sun and control the height.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »
I grew a few dragon fruit vines on the trunks of Norfolk pine trees, and they grew magnificently up the tree and did not fruit. Had one flower that dropped over the course of 2 years +. Since potting them and devising a shorter structure for them to grow on, looking great with all kinds of new growth (couple of months). Unless you are going keep them trimmed and hanging, and do not allow them to continue growing upwards, recommend against growing them on a tree.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:38 PM »
Check out the main Dragon Fruit thread, there are several examples of DF growing on trees.  As ricshaw mentioned, you'd need to control the height of the DF otherwise a lot of the fruit would be out of reach.

DF thread:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=228.0
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

Avinsmith

• Viet Nam
    • View Profile
    • Www.facebook.com/avnsmith
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »
Dragon fruit need hard sunlight. So that

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 12:45:47 AM »
ya light.  as with many cactus, especially the vine species of cactus they will etiolate up and up with super thin stems and many aerial roots clinging to what they can until they hit real sun, then they umbrella and fill out and can start thinking about flowering.  trees make good poles, but not trees with real canopies.  telephone poles and betel nut trees are prime examples of what light is needed, but hack them down to harvest height as mentioned is needed.

avacado is way too much shade as a free standing tree.  against a wall and pruned not sure, but the cactus needs good strong light.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk