Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620494 times)

alexgardens

• USA, St. Petersburg, Florida, Zone 9B (maybe 10A)
    • View Profile
    • NBAtipoff
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #625 on: June 07, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »
Hey, my name is Alex Curtis-Slep and I live in St. Petersburg, Florida. I have WWOOF'ed in Hawaii and love growing fruits and veggies. I've got mostly young trees, with a mature white and red grapefruit. Plants I've got include jackfruit, papaya, banana, pineapple, stinking toe, avocado, pomegranate, tamarind, black sapote, sapodilla, mango, surinam cherry, passion fruit, and more! I'd like to start a rare/tropical experimental part of my garden and learn and connect with as many people as possible!

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #626 on: June 08, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »
Hey, my name is Alex Curtis-Slep and I live in St. Petersburg, Florida.
hehehe, so close of believe I of that lives in russia

mangogal

• USA, CA, Pebble Beach
    • View Profile
    • Mango Maven
« Reply #627 on: June 10, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
 Ok, so I'm a newb. 

This Wendy from MangoMaven.com, which is a blog geared toward consumers/layman interested in mangoes.  I try to provide information the non-expert / non-enthusiast might want/need.  I have a ton of questions about this or that related to mangoes - hopefully I won't drive you all crazy.

I confess that I'm jealous of *anyone* that can grow a mango tree.  I live in Pebble Beach, CA where it's an average 65 degrees all the time. My particular location tends to be even a little cooler - can't even grow tomatoes!  So I have to live through all of you...  On my bucket list is the Mango Festival at Fairchild, and then possibly attending some international ones too.  The big one in India has my name on it!  On my mango site, I have a listing of festivals...if you know of any that I've missed PLEASE tell me! :) 

My professional life includes co-founding http://messageaday.com and being a Founding Member of Solavei.  (a $49 unlimited cell service that runs on top of T-Mobile)  I like to save $$$ and help others do the same.

Oh, and I am a cat lady...and the mother of twin daughters who are now 21!   I look forward to connecting on the forum. 

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #628 on: June 10, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
Mangogal, welcome to the forum.  I have around 20 mango trees in my yard, mostly planted last year.  The forum is an excellent resource in your growing efforts.

Ok, so I'm a newb. 

This Wendy from MangoMaven.com, which is a blog geared toward consumers/layman interested in mangoes.  I try to provide information the non-expert / non-enthusiast might want/need.  I have a ton of questions about this or that related to mangoes - hopefully I won't drive you all crazy.

I confess that I'm jealous of *anyone* that can grow a mango tree.  I live in Pebble Beach, CA where it's an average 65 degrees all the time. My particular location tends to be even a little cooler - can't even grow tomatoes!  So I have to live through all of you...  On my bucket list is the Mango Festival at Fairchild, and then possibly attending some international ones too.  The big one in India has my name on it!  On my mango site, I have a listing of festivals...if you know of any that I've missed PLEASE tell me! :) 

My professional life includes co-founding http://messageaday.com and being a Founding Member of Solavei.  (a $49 unlimited cell service that runs on top of T-Mobile)  I like to save $$$ and help others do the same.

Oh, and I am a cat lady...and the mother of twin daughters who are now 21!   I look forward to connecting on the forum. 

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #629 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »
Wow, finally a mangogal.  :) That is great, glad to have you on board. I believe you about not being able to grow mangos outdoors in Pebble beach, but how about a greenhouse? We have members here in Colorado, Ohio, Ottawa, and even Iceland growing mango trees. So i don't think they're going to feel sorry for you in beautiful Pebble Beachk, California .
Also i think it totally possible to grow tomatoes outdoors in Pebble beach. May not be the best tomato climate, but certainly doable. Anyway stay tuned for more advice from the mangophiles and tomatophiles.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »
:)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:07:20 PM by DurianLover »

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 10, 2013, 11:08:27 PM »
"Fruit Trees Attract Women...be careful"   I wonder which one out of two of you have to be careful.. ::)

lol... I have a girllfriend... and we are thousands of miles away...
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitoholic

• Davie, FL
    • View Profile
My name is Bill and I am a fruitaholic
« Reply #632 on: June 11, 2013, 10:02:32 PM »
I just wanted to say hello to all the great people on this site. "Hi"
It is a real education reading some of the topics here. For someone who grew up in England and then rarely set foot on dry land for most of my adult life I need all the help I can get when it comes to fruit trees!!
Below is a pic of my daughter and I. Not in the picture are my wife Natalie, 2 Bull Mastiffs and 13 chickens.

Below are a few pics of my little mango collection so far, other fruit trees to follow:

Haden 9ft 1st year fruiting 4-5 fruits:

Valencia Pride 8ft 1st year fruiting 4-5 fruits:

Choc Anon 7ft 0 fruits:

Keitt: 6ft 0 fruit:

The little ones: Nam Doc Mai #4, Mallika, Rosigold and Maha Chanok 4-5 feet no fruits

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:06:19 PM by fruitoholic »

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 11, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »
My name is Tom and I think we are all fruitahilocs. I stumbled upon this site a few days ago and I am enjoying it.
I am up to 8 Mango trees Lemon meringue, choc-anon, florigaon, springfel, fairchild, hatcher, tommy atkins and valencia pride.
2 cherries a gruminchama, and (2) Barbados
several Sweet sop green and red
bananas
pomegranate
sour sop
loquat
carambola
macadamia nut
2 orange
3 lychees
and about 25 pineapples
I still have room for a few plants more but can't decide, I also found out I live real close to HMHausman.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:32:30 PM by strkpr00 »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #634 on: June 11, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »
Welcome to all the new members.  Tom, stop on by and say hi some time!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 12, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
Hello newbies.  How long does one stay a newbie???
I guess until that first home grown mango goes down
your pie hole!...

:P

Fruitoholic - I think you should get fruit on every tree next year - they
all look very healthy......

mangofang of the desert

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 12, 2013, 01:02:53 AM »
Welcome Tom and Fruitoholic!
www.FLMangos.com

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 12, 2013, 08:43:51 AM »
When I see you outside sometime I will stop.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #638 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
When I see you outside sometime I will stop.

Great! I'll be the one not buzzing around sucking people's blood.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

PY

• USA, PA, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
Hello,

I just joined this group a few mins ago. Grew up in Malaysia but live in PA,USA, zone 6 presently. have been trying to grow various tropical in pots (Mango, wax jambu, avocado, oranges, star fruit, guavas) with little lucky. Most have perished despite using broad spectrum bulbs in the bathroom where I winterize them. The star fruit is still alive but struggling. still in original container.

Like to try again with some of these plants. Just purchased a mango and sapodilla. Yet to receive them.  Tempted to get a Malay apple too (but it is a huge tree though it will most probably die as did the 2 I bought last year) I have good success with figs. any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 12, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
Welcome, PY!

There are several of us on the forum growing plants indoors over the winter- it can be done; I've been snacking on fresh miracle fruit, Barbados cherries, guavas, starfruit, mulberries, and Cedar Bay cherries and others throughout the winter.

You'll likely need a LOT of artificial light to keep larger trees happy in your bathroom over the winter; a few fluorescent or incandescent bulbs won't be enough light for anything more than small seedlings.  Watering is a little trickier inside, as well as keeping insects under control and keeping humidity high enough for the plants.  Keeping the plants trimmed small is important too- you need to be able to move them in and out every year and keep them short enough that artificial light can make all their leaves happy.

Kevin

PY

• USA, PA, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 13, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »
Thanks Kevin. I am looking forward to growing a few tropical again. I have 3 full spectrum light bulbs in the bathroom. It didn't seem to help at all. the wax jambu lost all leaves and eventually died :( I am still trying to find my way around the group. I saw a member called Jeff who had a few lychees in a pot and I believe he is in Brooklyn. That is amazing. I do have 2 pommes and being more hardy I have no problem winterizing them. Have had them for 2 years but no fruits. Lots of lush leaves this year. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I also read somewhere (cant remember where now) someone said that LED lights, 400W are better than full spectrum?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 14, 2013, 10:58:51 PM »
Hello from encinitas california everyone. Love the forum. New to gardening but jumping in w both feet. Have two avocados, three dragonfruit, apple, almond, chilean guava, Surinam cherry, grape, fig and pomelo in the ground. Planning a lot more. Mango first.
Shane

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 14, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
you should grow yellow dragonfruit, is so exquisite a good for the health.

the chilean papaya is resistent to the frost ,but not the snow, although here you  can see papaya of mount like a wild plant, so that pucharse a fruit and extracted seeds of them.

the custard apple also grow good, just get cuttings in the section of interchange or buy of this forum.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »

the chilean papaya is resistent to the frost ,but not the snow, although here you  can see papaya of mount like a wild plant, so that pucharse a fruit and extracted seeds of them.

the custard apple also grow good, just get cuttings in the section of interchange or buy of this forum.

Thanks. Ill check them out. Actually have mexican papaya growing from seed. Its about 4" right now. Is chilean papaya the same as our pawpaw that grows in th southern US? I thought about custard apple but theyare too sweet for me.
Shane

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »

Thanks. Ill check them out. Actually have mexican papaya growing from seed. Its about 4" right now. Is chilean papaya the same as our pawpaw that grows in th southern US? I thought about custard apple but theyare too sweet for me.

the scientific name is Carica candamarcensis, is good and grow in mediterrean and subtropical climates

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #646 on: June 16, 2013, 03:49:04 AM »

the scientific name is Carica candamarcensis, is good and grow in mediterrean and subtropical climates

The Chilean papaya, is not really a papaya, nor does it taste anything like it. Very bland, only good cooked in syrup. I think it is  Vasconcellea cauliflora. At least that it is what i saw widely sold in Vina and Santiago area of Chile:

Carica candamarcensis = Vasconcellea pubescens = mountain papaya.
Oscar

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 16, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
really I'm tasted  the chilean papaya and is  more great that you hand here , but yes  is  considered papaya.

pwoodie

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 18, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
I am new to this site and have questions regarding how to and where to buy materials for mushroom growing in Costa Rica. I have experience back home in the U.S. but don't even know where I can find vermiculite and other materials in my new country. Any ideas? I don't even know where to look on this forum. Any guidance on how to find help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #649 on: June 19, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »
I am new to this site and have questions regarding how to and where to buy materials for mushroom growing in Costa Rica. I have experience back home in the U.S. but don't even know where I can find vermiculite and other materials in my new country. Any ideas? I don't even know where to look on this forum. Any guidance on how to find help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

There's a couple of forum members located in Costa Rica. They are the most likely to be able to help you locate the materials you want. Not sure if they are reading this thread, but one is Peter and the other is Jesse. I forget their addies right now. Maybe the moderators or someone else remembers so you can write to them directly?
Oscar