Author Topic: Costco selling tropical fruit trees.  (Read 25629 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Costco selling tropical fruit trees.
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
Oscar,

Just another example of the over reaching power of the Ag depts. In California we already have those nematodes they are worried about. I don't know about the other states. I worked for one of the local ag depts for a few years and parts of the operations are ridiculous. I know you have some nice seed selections, but really, a couple of unusual airlayered or grafted fruit trees would be nice

Mark

Mark, sending air layers to California is not a problem. Air layers are not plants.  Different than plants as far as govt. is concerned because they don't make contact with soil. Already have received a group order of lychee airlayers going to organizer of the order: Jacob13 and i believe 4 other people in group order. Sorry can't send grafted trees. I grow my plants in soil not sterile medium. You might want to try Frankie's Nursery, i know that he does send to California.
Yes i know those soil nematodes already exist in California and did so at least for 30 years. As one friend put it, "don't try to make sense of government rules or it will drive you crazy!" Another put it this way, "since when does government follow any rules of logic?"  ;)
Oscar
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 03:20:23 AM »
I asked Frankie last year, he doesn't do plants to CA.
Tim

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 03:43:44 AM »
Oscar, 

The one I am really interested in is a couple of airlayered "Alupag". I was over by your place last April, but unfortunately you were closed for a few weeks. My daughter and son-in-law live in Kailua, and I made a trip to see my buddy near your place who has a few acres of coffee then I was hoping to "buy your store out". I missed you by one day. Let me know if you would be able to airlayer any "Alupag"

PS, Mahalo for the Pitangatuba seeds, they arrived beautiful.

Mark

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 04:17:20 AM »
Mark, sorry don't have mature alupag trees to air layer. Best i can do is alupag seeds. Usually available July-Aug.
Oscar
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 01:18:12 AM »
I have a friend that owns a nursery that had to destroy $9,000 worth of Mangoes in 7 and 15 gal containers because one of the leaves had a scale on it, and the plants within 10 feet of the plant had to be destroyed even though they were clean. This is the over regulation of local, state and the USDA.

That's plain nuts and vicious. Those kind of Gov't toads would last 10 minutes in the dreaded private sector. In Florida I see scale all the time on mango trees in nurseries.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
My local Costco (Royal Palm Beach) had Lychee, mango, Red Lady Papaya, Blue Berry.  The prices were $28 for 3 gallon potted plant, so a decent price, but not a super great deal.  Local nurseries offer staff who can provide a little bit of information on the trees. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Only big top stores here to sell a few fruit trees are Home Depot and Wall Mart. Trees are not in very good shape, price is the same or more expensive than at nursery, very little selection, and then you end up buying run of mill citrus and avocado from a nursery where you can go to and get it direct from: usually Plant it Hawaii.
Oscar
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
JF, just picked up a beautiful Palestine Lime and Gold Nugget Mandarin from Costco at $17.00. Five gallon containers. The label is from W and N nursery. Very nice looking trees at a great price.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »
JF, just picked up a beautiful Palestine Lime and Gold Nugget Mandarin from Costco at $17.00. Five gallon containers. The label is from W and N nursery. Very nice looking trees at a great price.

that's a good find 007. especially that golden nugget you will not be disappointed with your mandarin. It took me a while to find one and I had to go to San Diego. Those are excellent prices can you post pics?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »
The fruit trees at my local costco were from Pine Island Nursery, a reputable nursery.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »
The fruit trees at my local costco were from Pine Island Nursery, a reputable nursery.
thats arguable...
- Rob

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 02:56:07 AM »
thats arguable...

That they are from Pine Island?   Or, that they are Reputable

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
That they are reputable.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »
Wow, that's nutty. The palestine lime isn't that easy to find. At those prices you could turn around and resell them babies :-).

Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »
Question ofcourse comes to my mind as to how a nursery could sell to a middle man, in this case Costco, and have Costco then sell it for cheaper then you could get it directly from source nursery? Costco has to make some money also, so they must be marking it up. My guess is that these nurseries either sell their left overs that they can't get rid of to middle men, or that they just don't like to do retail business and save on employee staff to deal with customers by focusing on wholesale?
Oscar
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
Just my 2 cents here:  It is so important to support the private fruit tree nurseries. The prices are actually CHEAPER than Costco and the other Big stores. The quality is better. There is much more variety. The nurseries actually offer SERVICE and advice.   I tell all of my friends and neighbors where to get their trees.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »
Question ofcourse comes to my mind as to how a nursery could sell to a middle man, in this case Costco, and have Costco then sell it for cheaper then you could get it directly from source nursery? Costco has to make some money also, so they must be marking it up. My guess is that these nurseries either sell their left overs that they can't get rid of to middle men, or that they just don't like to do retail business and save on employee staff to deal with customers by focusing on wholesale?
Oscar
I think you have pretty much got it Oscar.  I haven't had any deadlings with them in years, but I believe they focus a lot more energy on the wholesale end of the business than the retail.  They were also generating such a large volume of plants that they would never be able to sell them all at retail.   They probably make less per plant than most nurseries, but more overall due to the greater volume.  While its probably cheaper to go to the nursery, if you are only going to get one plant, you would probably spend as much in gas as the additional markup. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »
Just my 2 cents here:  It is so important to support the private fruit tree nurseries. The prices are actually CHEAPER than Costco and the other Big stores. The quality is better. There is much more variety. The nurseries actually offer SERVICE and advice.   I tell all of my friends and neighbors where to get their trees.

Yeah, Costco, Home Depot, Wal Mart, and other big top stores can drive smaller nurseries out of business. Not all nurseries because all these plants come from a nursery, these big top stores are middle men. But if the smaller nurseries get driven out of business what you will end up with is one giant nursery that only wholesales to Costco and will have a lot more limited variety than did all those smaller nurseries they put out of business. Also once that is the only nursery existing they will charge whatever they want....as then there will be no competition. So think before you buy. Or see the movie: The High Cost of Low Prices.
Oscar
Oscar

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »

Yeah, Costco, Home Depot, Wal Mart, and other big top stores can drive smaller nurseries out of business. Not all nurseries because all these plants come from a nursery, these big top stores are middle men. But if the smaller nurseries get driven out of business what you will end up with is one giant nursery that only wholesales to Costco and will have a lot more limited variety than did all those smaller nurseries they put out of business. Also once that is the only nursery existing they will charge whatever they want....as then there will be no competition. So think before you buy. Or see the movie: The High Cost of Low Prices.
Oscar

Agree, but if I can't find it in my local nursery and they have it in Costco ......Palestine Lime and Gold Nugget Mandarin are gard to find.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 04:26:36 AM »
Sure, in that case i would have grabbed them up myself. I remember i bought a Holiday avocado that way from Home Depot because nobody here normally carries it. Unfortunately the plant didn't survive long.
Oscar
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »

Palestine Sweet Lime

Gold Nugget Mandarin

JF, here are the pics that you requested. The plants are super healthy and they're starting to flower. Not bad for a very competitive price. Maybe they will have some fruit by the time you come around.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »

Palestine Sweet Lime

Gold Nugget Mandarin

JF, here are the pics that you requested. The plants are super healthy and they're starting to flower. Not bad for a very competitive price. Maybe they will have some fruit by the time you come around.

C7, great addition to your collection! those trees were a steal for that price and great size! I agree with Oscar and the rest of the folks about supporting your local nuseries but I couln't pass that bargin.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »
You know I am at Rodriguez' nursery all the time.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:48 AM »
You know I am at Rodriguez' nursery all the time.

C7, I know you support your local nursery....you just had a bad experience at Mimosa because of their lousy customer service. Next time you go there ask for Miguel he'll follow you around.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 09:47:25 AM »
... Next time you go there ask for Miguel he'll follow you around.
That just doesn't sound right  ;D ;D ;D
Tim