Author Topic: Avocado Issues - MEXICOLA GRANDE  (Read 1306 times)

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
Avocado Issues - MEXICOLA GRANDE
« on: April 11, 2019, 05:08:28 PM »
Hi, I am trying to get some help with my potted Mexicola Grande Avocado.  I potted it with a type of
lava rock.  It has been out in the sun with the temp rising to 92 for 2 days now.  Suddenly I noticed
the black on the main stem.
I don't know if it is fungus or the sun or what is the issue or too much watering.
I also have a Pancho Avocado potted in the same way right next to the Mexicola.

I moved the Mexicola into mostly shade, but I am asking for help with this issue.

I saw that someone put hydrogen peroxide into their watering mixture and their avocado
recovered.  Also maybe I need to remove the mulch on top.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Carol

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:10:57 PM by carolstropicals »

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado Issues - MEXICOLA GRANDE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »
Could be sunburn. Anywhere on my tree that got this the branch completely died back...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 07:28:17 PM »
Sunburn usually happens on limbs that are hanging horizontal not on vertical growth.  The picture is not very clear so its hard to tell whats going on.  Maybe take a more clear pic of that area and also one of the entire tree and the pot.
Brad Spaugh

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:46:15 PM »
I'll post new pictures tomorrow in the afternoon.  The pictures won't take now as it is dark.

Thanks Carol

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
Hi, this is another picture.  I have several, but don't know how to post more than 1.
Hope this helps to ID the issue with this avocado tree.

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »
This is another picture.  Carol

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »
To anyone interested in the Problem that was with this Avocado.  I had no posts or help with this issue and wanted to post what
a nursery in Galveston said about this.
It is Black Sooty Mold which is not threatening to my avocado tree.  The person who helped me with this issue was highly
knowledgeable.  She asked me if I could rub the black off.  I check the tree rubbing with my finger then my nail and the
black did come off.  What a Great help this was.  She said to treat with Neem during the early evening.  I then asked if
I could treat or rub the black off with alcohol.  She said "Yes", but if that didn't work to use Neem. 

I will treat with alcohol rubbing to see if I can remove all the black - then rinse thoroughly with water.

I did want to post to help others on this forum who have always been so helpful to me.  Thank you everyone.  Issue Settled !