Author Topic: What variety of sapodilla is this?  (Read 3701 times)

natsgarden123

What variety of sapodilla is this?
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »
I know its supposed to be mango BUT this is my next door neighbors tree-he had no clue that it was a Sapodilla until I pointed it out-any thoughts ( he also has a mango tree which needs ID-will post later)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What variety of sapodilla is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:12:48 PM »
I know its supposed to be mango BUT this is my next door neighbors tree-he had no clue that it was a Sapodilla until I pointed it out-any thoughts ( he also has a mango tree which needs ID-will post later)

Would like to see the inside of the fruit but from the outside and a distant picture of the tree I am leaning toward Tikal.  Fruit looks a little like Alano also but that tree seems a little large to be an Alano.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »
I would say that it is impossible to say with any accuracy.  Based on the tree size and shape, I think it is most likely a seedling tree and not a named culitvar.  I guess you have no idea when it was first planted....of course not.  The tree has been around for quite a while.  Unless the planter was "in the know" as a rare fruit collector, I would put my money on it beng a seedling.  Have you tried the fruit?  If it is grainy textured, lots of stone cells, that would be the clincher for me.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

natsgarden123

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
I haven't tried one. He hasn't either. The one in the photo is mine. It looks a bit early to have been picked.  Nevertheless ,I'm letting it ripen and ill report back. The fruit is very high up on the tree.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
I haven't tried one. He hasn't either. The one in the photo is mine. It looks a bit early to have been picked.  Nevertheless ,I'm letting it ripen and ill report back. The fruit is very high up on the tree.
Now you have confused me...the picture of the tree and fruit are yours or just the fruit?  Is that what you wanted to know the variety of or his ?
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »
Rob

The tree is my next door neighbors tree.  He had no idea that it was a Sapodilla, until I pointed it out to him.  He has never tasted any of the fruit.   I took photos of the tree, and I asked him to give me a fruit.  So, the tree belongs to my neighbor and the fruit he gave to me ( to try).    No one, of late,   has tasted  the fruit yet ( my neighbor owned this house for  7 years)
The tree was planted in the mid 1970's.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:21 PM »
7 years and not one question asked or one fruit sampled from the tree?  wow....
Tim

natsgarden123

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
7 years and not one question asked or one fruit sampled from the tree?  wow....

Our neighborhood was created in the 1970s. It was a "live with nature" community designed to preserve. There are a lot of very old trees here.  We have 100+yo pines. 
My neighbor wanted to show me the Avocado tree he planted. I walked back and I  saw a small, newly planted  Avocado and right behind it was the huge Sapodilla.  He never even heard of Sapodilla...  :)

natsgarden123

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
Update-just tasted the fruit and its delicious.  A little grainy-tastes like Brown Sugar variety- even sweeter- Im going over there to ask for some more  fruit :)

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
Tell the neighbor it was gross tasting, and then go steal the fruits when he is not home! ;)

Only kidding (well maybe not!), but you can grow out the seed and then graft pieces of his tree onto it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk