Author Topic: San Diego Mango lovers  (Read 7751 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
San Diego Mango lovers
« on: July 12, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
I'm new here and love the forum. Been trying to find as many different kinds of mangoes as I can in San Diego before I make my final tree selection for planting next spring. Turns out there are quite a few places to buy them in San Diego. I have yet to meet other Mango growers, but I know they exist :)

Convoy area: Ranch 99 (Chinese) on Clairemont, The Fruit Store (tropicals) on Convoy and the Korean grocery next door.
Miramar: Miramar Cash and Carry (Indian), Indian Whole Foods on Black Mountain Road.
Mira Mesa: Vietnamese market behind Target.

I've scored tons of Manila/Ataulfos, Kents and Tommy Atkins, but have also found Haden, Green (dessert?), Carabao, and Kesar. Reportedly C&C also gets Alphonso. Very much looking forward to Keitt when it shows up. Don't know if there'll be anything more exotic than those.

Perhaps this'll help someone, took me a while to find.
Shane

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Mango lovers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
I believe the next CRFG meeting will have a lot of Keitt mangoes for tasting. You might check it out and ask them where to find more varieties. There are CRFG members that grow many varieties. Maybe if you're very interested they will let you try some when the time is right.

Also try contacting nurseries like Ong's, Ben Porier, and Exotica.

Also Seafood city and lucky seafood in Mira Mesa. I believe those are Filipino.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:41:18 PM by fyliu »

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »
Thanks! Ill check them out.

I just joined the north county chapter of crfg a few months ago. The member and neighbor that hooked me up w them has mentioned another member with lots of varieties in the area. Havent heard about the keitts. Maybe at the potluck this month?
Shane

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 01:03:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum Shaneatwell! I also live in San Diego and I have a few mango varieties in my backyard. I currently have Maha Chanok, lemon zest, glenn, manilla, nam doc Mai, and Alphonso. I have yet to taste a single mango from any of my trees. I have been removing the fruit from all my mango trees for the last two years and my trees are still relatively small. I also grow Lychees, Longan, dragonfruit, Cherimoya, atemoya, figs, pomegranates, Asian pears, avocado, loquat, miracle fruit and a few other things. Ongs nursery is a good place to acquire some trees locally.

Simon

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
Cool Simon. Maybe I'll hit you up for scion wood in six months :)

I've got avocados, fig, dragonfruit (x3), and a few others in the ground. Have a longon seedling that's about 1" tall. Have you gotten fruit from your lychee?

P.S. I've become a regular visitor to most of the local nurseries including Ong's, Exotica, Bonita Creek and City Garden.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:16:06 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
Shane - I'm in clairemont and have a haden and a manila in the ground.  The haden doesn't like my yard too much - produced fruit the first year from a container but has died back considerably since planting and I don't even let it set fruit anymore.  The manila is a seedling grown by La Verne and sold by Home Depot (under $25 now at the local store) - it has grown steadily and produced fruit three years in a row (including this one).

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »
How young was the Manila when it first fruited? Guessing you have pretty heavy clay soil? Did you do anything to protect them from frost last winter?

fyliu, I checked out Seafood city today. Great store! Quite a few tropical fruits (Ataulfo and TA Mangos, Rambutan, Lychee, Jackfruit, Papaya x2, Tamarind), plus well-labeled, clean and nice fruit. Great fish and meat section too. Thanks very much for the heads up.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:22:48 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »
How young was the Manila when it first fruited? Guessing you have pretty heavy clay soil? Did you do anything to protect them from frost last winter?

I bought the Manila from Home Depot around Spring of 2009 and immediately planted it in the ground.  We have very heavy clay soil (think adobe bricks).  The hole I dug was approx. 3' x 3' - I used gypsum around the inside of the planting hole and then filled the hole with a mixture of compost, gypsum and native dirt (didn't put the clay from the hole back in).  The idea was to create a natural "container" that would allow the roots to push through it over time.  The tree was approx. 4' tall when I bought it.  It flushed new growth that summer - don't remember if it flowered, but if it did there were no fruit set.  I had 1 fruit in 2010 and 3 last year.  There are more than 20 on the tree this year and my guess is somewhere between 5 and 10 will make it to harvest.

I had taken a decidedly Darwinist approach to my planting in the past (hence the decline of the Haden)... no protection from frost (or from the summer's sun for that matter).  The leaves were burnt pretty severely by the cold snaps we had this winter but the tree has recovered nicely.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
Good to know. I'm doing something similar, planting a bunch of seeds and letting nature sort it out. Though they are in half-compost/half-clay. Kent and Manila are in the ground and Haden will be in a few weeks.

Check out my little video:

Planting Mango Seedlings

Edit: I'll also be planting some nursery trees in the spring, depending on what dies where.
Shane

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »
Cue the not true to seed lectures in 3, 2, 1 ...

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
Of course. But mine is as much of a rootstock experiment as it is for fruit. Definitely planning to graft a bit.
Shane

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »
Hey Shane, I have about 10 lychees holding on my tree. It was only a partial bloom and I gave it some organic nitrogen fertilizer in the hopes of getting a a good vegetative flush. It was holding a lot of small fruit but ever since the new growth flush hit, the majority of fruit fell off. I feel that I would have much more fruit this year if I did not give it veg fertilizer but I would gladly sacrifice some fruit this year for a healthier and more productive tree next year.

Shane it can take some time for your Longan seedling to produce fruit and the quality may not be good. If you are interested, I will give you my small potted Kohala Longan, it has nice low branching and it is currently holding some very small fruit. Pm me if you are interested.
Simon

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »
Of course. But mine is as much of a rootstock experiment as it is for fruit. Definitely planning to graft a bit.

Good luck, I've been working on some mango and avocado seedlings to use as rootstock for many months.
The mangoes seem to be a bit more trouble and I've already lost a few.
I'm going to use a Manila Mango plant I bought last year and kept in a container as my source for cuttings when I start my grafting experiments.
I've also grown papayas (which are true to seed) from seed using seeds from a store bought Mexican variety and seeds I got from Aloha Seed.
Have you planted some guavas yet?  They seem to be very forgiving.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
Haven't done guava. My neighbor and friend has several trees and my wife isn't a fan, so...

My Papaya is doing well though. Same as you, grown from a mexican papaya we bought at the supermarket.

Regarding avocados, my first two trees home depot bought hass and fuerte. The Hass had an unlabelled rootstock (Mexicola?) and has been suffering from tip burn. Starting to burn through its second set of leaves in 6 months, though the new growth looks great. The Fuerte had a seedling Hass rootstock and has had a lot less tip burn.

For your mangoes, how much were you watering? And when did they go in the ground?
Shane

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
For your mangoes, how much were you watering? And when did they go in the ground?

I've been trying to grow the seedlings in a little (6'x6') portable greenhouse and I just repotted some and put them on the patio.  I've most likely been guilty of over watering everything.
All my plants except for a Holiday, Fuerte and Hass are in containers.
I've used the seedlings from the store bought papaya as guinea pigs and planted them around the yard to see where they might like it.
My backyard faces south and is always windy.  The sides of my house get a lot of wind also.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
Shaneatwell, I like how you've planned things out.

In my opinion, the best time to plant is at the end of winter or the  beginning of summer, and water once a day (don't water when it rains).
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »

The first couple years, the mangos got watered whenever I had time to drag the hose over to them (averaged less than 2x/wk).

I ran irrigation to everything last year and have been adding dedicated risers off of 1/2" pvc to new plantings as I put them in.  All of the trees now get watered 5 mins per day with a variable setting on the bubbler (0-10 GPH) dialed in to each plant.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:13 AM »
. If you are interested, I will give you my small potted Kohala Longan,
Is it grafted?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
Hey Xeno, the Kohala is an air layer but I already offered it to Shaneatwell.  If he backs out, I'll pm you.  Cheers,

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
Costco in Carmel mountain has excellent quality Kent mangoes that are good size, slightly colored up and not over ripe. A case of 8 mangoes is $5.99. Much better quality than 99 ranch.
Simon

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »
Is there a thread for San Diego Mango growers?  I'd especially be interested in participating... with spring in the air and huge blooms on my trees, it's all I can think about.

I'd also love a chance to share scions with other people locally.

Here's my Mallika in full bloom:

And my Zebda - first time either have bloomed so much:

--Jake

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 12:12:17 AM »
Is there a thread for San Diego Mango growers?  I'd especially be interested in participating... with spring in the air and huge blooms on my trees, it's all I can think about.

I'd also love a chance to share scions with other people locally.

Here's my Mallika in full bloom:

And my Zebda - first time either have bloomed so much:

Jake, those look fantastic! My Atulfo is in bloom right now and has some penny size mangos as well. I'm pretty close to you I believe. I'm getting some fruit punch scions and will look to acquire sweet tart wherever it's available. I'll topwork my Atulfo and graft on some seedling Manila's.

I don't necessarily have any great scions to trade now but I will in the future (unless you really want Atulfo or Manila). That Zebda is a great mango. Best juice I ever had was in Alexandria, Egypt where they'd fresh squeeze those mangos. So delicious.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 01:19:23 AM »
Check out simons thread growing mangoes in Southern California
Shane