Author Topic: East Java's Longan : Look similiar to Kohala (?)  (Read 4077 times)

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
East Java's Longan : Look similiar to Kohala (?)
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
Pict of my longan fruit cluster...i've searhing in internet for best longan cultivar in end up with view thai type and Kohala. when i saw kohala pict all over the net, its remind me to my longan collection wich is local cultivar ftom here, east java - indonesia. its look very similiar for its leaf and tree habitus...or it just cause they have one thing in common : china origin...

*** mod edit: rotated your picture ***
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:59:17 AM by Tim »

Picko Jack

• View Profile
Re: East Java's Longan : Look similiar to Kohala (?)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »
uupppsss...sorry for the picture....didnt realize its not rotate yet....little bit problem with my preview menu! well... im a newbie ;)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
wow...that's one big tree in a tiny pot.  Beautiful edible bonsai  ;D
Tim

Picko Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »
wow...that's one big tree in a tiny pot.  Beautiful edible bonsai  ;D

well...the fact about the "bonsai" look : its a big old longan tree on the ground that for some reason has to remove...so i plant it in pot afterall...its just simply a rescue mission :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
Hey there Picko Jack that is a great looking tree.I am too warm for longans and they don't fruit properly.Are you at high altitude in east java where it gets cool enough to stimulate longan flowering? Maybe it is the indonesian variety you have that can fruit in a truely tropical place.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
Picko Jack you're in east java? My dad was born in Kalimantan. I heard that's around that area.

That's a really nice looking longan. I'm in the process of cutting mine back close to the stump like this. It's just getting too big for its space.

Picko Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
Hey there Picko Jack that is a great looking tree.I am too warm for longans and they don't fruit properly.Are you at high altitude in east java where it gets cool enough to stimulate longan flowering? Maybe it is the indonesian variety you have that can fruit in a truely tropical place.

Yes Mike, its local variety and its been selected as good cultivar for its heavy bearing and good eating quality. its called "Lengkeng Mutiara" (lengkeng = longan, mutiara = pearl) since its aril appearence that says look like transculent white pearl. BUT (just like your saying) its only fruiting well in spesific region with cooler temperature and high altitude (>600 M above sea level) and in matter of fact, almost all longan variety in indonesia need cooler and high alt, or its just gonna be erratic bearing tree. well, at least till view years ago....before inducing longan flower technique with potassium chlorate been found. now small scale longan orcad (up to a hectare) that plant thai and local cultivar can  be found all over indonesia...and they fruit well in lowland...even with better quality fruit

Picko Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
Picko Jack you're in east java? My dad was born in Kalimantan. I heard that's around that area.

That's a really nice looking longan. I'm in the process of cutting mine back close to the stump like this. It's just getting too big for its space.
Hi fyliu...so your Dad was born in Kalimantan (i found some people still called it Borneo), a big island that blessing with so many unique tropical fruit that mostly cant be found anywhere else. and its diversity and plenty of Durian (Durio sp.) still amazing...even for Indonesian! i never goin there (not yet) since its quite far away from my place (2 hour flight) but its in my plant for collect some good durian cultivar over the island.
hope your longan doin well after you cut it down...its easier to manage on that size and new growth flush will bring new healthy leaves an even flower...

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:40:30 PM »
I didn't know that's Borneo. I often hear Kalimantan and West Java mentioned in the same conversation between older relatives. So I thought they were close. Personally I have not been there but I like durian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk