Author Topic: Free harvest program - Looking for feedback  (Read 1265 times)

The Gardening Adventure

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
    • Thegardeningadventure.com
Free harvest program - Looking for feedback
« on: December 10, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »
Hello everyone! I hope that I am posting this in the right topic.

Almost 2 years ago I created a program to keep track of my harvest, because I always felt that I have too much of some vegetables or fruits and not enough of the other varieties. I wanted to find a balance and I had to keep track of the harvest somehow.

My wife thinks that I am crazy for weighting everything that I harvest and enter it into the program. Are there any other "crazy" gardeners out there that would do something like that?

A few months ago, I was thinking that maybe other gardeners might find the program useful and I created a basic version of the program that I’m sharing with you. It’s completely free and I would like to find out if other people like it and if they are willing to use it, before I spend more time and money to create a more complex version.

Below are a few screenshots of the program and a link to a video that shows how the program is working.

Please let me know what you think about it. I’d really appreciate your feedback.

https://youtu.be/nzg24mFZwCc

Home page

Plant family

Individual plants

Harvest

Reports

Harvest by individual plants for a date range

Harvest by plant family for a date range

The gardening Adventure

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Free harvest program - Looking for feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 07:19:46 PM »
Very clever!
And no, you are not alone. There are a lot of crazy plant folks out there, AND on this forum
I do something similar in Excel, but mainly use it to decide which varieties to keep and which to toss. My husband laughs at me regularly because I can't seem to tell the difference betwenn "edible" and "tasty". This way I can keep track of what grew well but tasted like cardboard, and which are worth an extra effort.
Keep up the scientific inquiry!

Cheers,
Carolyn

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 10:20:20 AM »
Ok, I watched your YouTube demo of your program. Really nice! I like the companion plant feature. If I were to use it, I would probably use Latin names, but that is just because I am a geek...

Being able to add pictures is really nice.  There have been times when we were trying to figure out which tomato was which.

The only drawback I see is the same one that I have with my Excel spreadsheet - I start out using it, all eager, then spend less and less time doing data entry, and more and more time in my greenhouse!

I imagine that a commercial grower may find the program very useful!

Cheers,
Carolyn

The Gardening Adventure

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 07:00:37 PM »
Thank you Carolyn for taking the time to check it out and give me the feedback. I appreciate it very much.

Data entry is the drawback for all the programs :). I had the same issue as you, about figuring out the variety for every plant. That's why my original program has a garden layout feature also.

Garden layout.

The version of the program that I'm currently using has more features, which I did not include in the free version, because more features have more potential for problems and bugs.

I wanted to offer something simple and easy to use and not have frustrated users.

I was thinking that the program will be useful for beginner gardeners or for someone that is trying to experiment in the garden and would like to compare the harvest results.
The gardening Adventure

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »
Try posting this on the Tropical Fruit page. Might get more exposure, and I know that a bunch of folks weigh their fruit...

Cheers, Carolyn

The Gardening Adventure

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »
I just did.
Thank you for the suggestion!
The gardening Adventure