Author Topic: Lean Season for backyard durian  (Read 874 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Lean Season for backyard durian
« on: February 04, 2021, 03:21:48 AM »
Well chums it looks like the durian season in my backyard is a pretty lean one. The dry season was extra dry and wet season stared with a bang and I had 35 inches of rain in January. Maybe the early dryness didn't help. My red prawn has no fruit this year and neither does my luang.
The penang 88 has 3 fruit only but they are big.

The limberlost tree is a market and is doing a little better and it is the most reliable tree I have. I tried one so far and it was good.

My gumpun tree has only 3 fruit and they are quite big but 3 won't satisfy my durian appetite.

I have heard from others that it is a pretty lean year all around in Queensland so I hope other areas like the NT  have had a better year.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Lean Season for backyard durian
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:40 AM »
Mmmmm durio. Fat ones up there 👆!  But yes not enough to satisfy the hunger for durian 😛.
Our seedling tree here just has set some fruits.  76 more days until the feast starts.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 03:36:16 PM »
How long did your seedling take to get flowers Micah as I know some people have to wait well over 10 years. I have less than 20 durians this season and last year the Penang88 alone had way more than that. I like to share mine so there won't be as many for sharing when they ripen in the next few weeks.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 06:51:16 PM »
Mike a few of the daintree growers seem to have a fair few available however it is likely the daintree has a much wetter "dry" season then you get down in cairns.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 10:40:25 AM »
How long did your seedling take to get flowers Micah as I know some people have to wait well over 10 years. I have less than 20 durians this season and last year the Penang88 alone had way more than that. I like to share mine so there won't be as many for sharing when they ripen in the next few weeks.

Yes the seedling tree that’s flowering now started fruiting at 12 or 13 yrs old. It’s 17 yrs old now.   We thinks it’s a monthong strain. Big lobes, small skinny seeds mostly.
I do have another seedling tree that’s over 16 now and no flowers yet...this one is on the bank of a small creek.  Maybe that has something to do with not flowering.  It’s very robust and healthy looking.
It is the best when there’s enough to fill the freezer and share a bunch with friends and the durian naysayers.  Next thing ya know, they are asking when it’ll be in season again haha.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »
Yes tropo my lousy 2500mm/yr is a dust bowl comparted to 'over the river' and other bits of the Daintree.I remember getting stranded when 25 inches fell one weekend and Cooper.Noah and Hutchinson all were in flood.
Micah that is such a long time to wait for a tree to fruit for most people. Sounds like Monthong or a close relative.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk