Author Topic: What make a good Lansium paraditicum (syn. L. domesticum)?  (Read 681 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
What make a good Lansium paraditicum (syn. L. domesticum)?
« on: April 17, 2021, 04:52:09 AM »
I have duku, longkong and duku langsat fruiting in my yeard just about every year and frequently get to try langsat also. Last season I sampled a large fruited sweet Indonesian variety that appears closer in form to langsat than anything else.I have been asked quite a few times which would I rate the best fruit of the ones I have tried. If we rate them on big fruit, thin skin, sweet taste, low latex in skin, few seeds that get in the way of eating and juiciness as positive characteristics then some are sure better than others.
I would rate the best varieties as longkong ahead of duku of all types I have tried and just ahead of the large Borneo langsat (not true langsat) with duku langsat a clear winner. It just tastes better and is more juicy with a range of other positive characteristics. Crops may not be as heavy as duku and longkong. It just so happens I picked some off my tree today and here they are.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: What make a good Lansium paraditicum (syn. L. domesticum)?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 04:57:26 AM »
That handsome paw with the much prized duku langsat is mine. I am wondering if I had the services of a petite hand model I could make all the fruit look bigger.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 08:26:37 AM »
Awesome looking bounty you have there Mike...shivering with envy.  You pretty much hit all the high points and they seem spot on to me.  I do enjoy the fact that seeds do not cling to the flesh.  How about peelability?  Can the fruit be peeled as fast as I can eat the fruit?!  I've tried a few varieties and while all are good, longkong for me just cannot be rivaled.  It's pretty much the reason why this is mainly the only variety you will find in markets in Thailand.  Any farm we visited only had longkong growing.  Easily one of my top five fruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »
I have 3 longkong trees and they are a good fruit alright. I think the name of duku langsat causes confusion as they are not a cross between duku and langsat or intermediate but more like longkong.The flesh is a little softer and juicier than longkong, perhaps a bit sweeter and they are bigger with thinner skin. Just by a bit mind you with all of these characteristics. They don't have many seeds that are big or viable unlike duku or langsat so are more like longkong in that respect also.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 09:25:33 AM »

So lansiums have 5 sections and in this one seeds are aborted except for 2 very small ones. Duku often have very big seeds in one or two segments that are enlarged due to the seeds.

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 02:41:51 PM »
Great info, I also have 3 longkong far from fruiting and also 4 langsat, one fruiting. I hope I will be able to compare them
Yohann

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 03:21:58 PM »
Wonderful looking fruit!
While it’s more trouble to peel, the thicker skin adds precious time to the shelf life of lansium.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 04:11:48 PM »

In terms of fruit size these are large with about 9 fruit per lb or 19 per kg.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 05:47:18 PM »
Unbelievable mike you always pull out the big guns.