Author Topic: The Squirrelinator and other squirrel traps  (Read 3001 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Not a holding trap but will effectively put an end to nuisance squirrels in a swift and humane way.

No one has mentioned this device so far but check out this tube trap from Wildlife Control Supply:
WCS™ Tube Trap™
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSTUBE.html

A number of members of the California Rare Fruit Growers have been using this trap sucessfully to dispense with numerous marauding rodents that were damaging their ripenng fruit crops.  Apparently the squirrels especially cannot resist running thru the tube of this sort of trap and they get swiftly dispatched before they know it.

A few CRFG Members have reported that their tube trap has dispatched as many as three or four squirrles in one afternoon, so it seems to be a pretty effective device and should be is worth a look-see if you're getting rodent damage to your fruit.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
I have a tube trap but it hasnt been as effective as the squirrelinator.  But maybe I just am not using it enough.  I saw a squirrel yesterday, so Ill put it out today along with the cage traps.
Brad Spaugh

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Thanks Epicatt2. That tube trap looks good and well made. It looks rustproof? No, must paint it or buy the stainless steel version

If I buy one, I will buy at your site. It has a better price.
For reviews here it is at Amazon for about $10 more>
https://www.amazon.com/Tube-Trap-Squirrel-Standard/dp/B00K6JKVK4

At Amazon a complaint that it rusts. There is a stainless steel version costs more, or paint the non-stainless version.
Also a review that heaps praise on it>>>>

RUSTED
By Real person, fake name on July 18, 2017
Started to rust immediately. They use regular metal that is prone to corrosion and rust. This would all be solved if they used something such as stainless steel. Pictures attached. With this much rust after about 1 month, this thing will not last a year. Waste of money. Why would I buy something that will just rust? I want to keep it forever but apparently you can't,... Jook at the pictures. see less

Don't waste your money on any other squirrel trap
By Jerry Asbell on March 9, 2016
This is a great trap. I started using this trap in the middle of winter and worked great. I place the trap on top of our privacy fence, which is connected to several other fences and properties. I refer to the fence as the squirrel highway. I use peanut butter as bait and works great in the winter time, but have some trouble with birds in the spring. Once the birds natural food source becomes more plentiful they start to leave it alone. Some folks have mentioned that they mount the trap on a board but that would be easier said than done because of the spring apparatus on the bottom. I set a ladder between the posts and use that. It does tend to rock back and forth a little but I shim one end with a little stick or something to stabilize the trap. I did this because I watched a squirrel hesitate because of this. Needless to say, I got that bugger the next day. Now, for setting the trap. You should always wear some gloves when messing with traps. You won't have trouble getting your hands caught in the trap but there is always a chance of getting pinched. I set the trap on the ground in front of me and push the kill bar down and set the dog. It's pretty easy and doesn't require superman strength. Now there are two models to choose from. I got the standard one that does rust, but seems to blend in well with the surroundings and the rust doesn't seem to hamper the traps functionality. You can spend a little more and get the stainless steel one. You can also use it on the ground as well and the openings aren't big enough for pets to get into. The more you use the trap the better you get at it. I highly recommend this trap.[[ASIN:B00K6JKVK4 Tube Trap Squirrel Trap (Standard)]] see less

spaugh

• View Profile
Re: The Squirrelinator and other squirrel traps
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »
I got the rust resistant version.  It hasnt gotten any rust yet but its very dry here. 
Brad Spaugh

Bobooshki

• Palm Bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2021, 05:18:21 AM »
+1 on the raccoons going for your ducks. We raise ducks and have stopped raising smaller breeds. They are more hesitant, in our experience, to go after bigger ducks like say a silver appleyard.

We lost three Indian runners to raccoons.
Robert

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 04:19:56 PM »
I have a squirrelinator it is ok, when I set it out I will get one at a time using peanuts. One time I had two but one was alive and one was just a head :o. I have no idea what got the body and tail. I do have a feral cat that patrols most nights.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2021, 10:09:33 AM »
It works on Florida squirrels and protects your bait from Blue Jays

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 09:23:21 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »
+1 on the raccoons going for your ducks. We raise ducks and have stopped raising smaller breeds. They are more hesitant, in our experience, to go after bigger ducks like say a silver appleyard.
We lost three Indian runners to raccoons.

Indian runners are such interesting looking, good looking ducks. I would be out for blood. We have loads of Muscovy ducks wandering around, same as many other places in South Florida. A few years ago I saw 5 good looking white ducks by a nearby house. I never saw them again. Coons and whatever must have done them in quickly, guessing they were pet ducks that someone let out. So had no idea how to defend themselves.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
Not a holding trap but will effectively put an end to nuisance squirrels in a swift and humane way.

No one has mentioned this device so far but check out this tube trap from Wildlife Control Supply:
WCS™ Tube Trap™
https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSTUBE.html

A number of members of the California Rare Fruit Growers have been using this trap sucessfully to dispense with numerous marauding rodents that were damaging their ripenng fruit crops.  Apparently the squirrels especially cannot resist running thru the tube of this sort of trap and they get swiftly dispatched before they know it.

A few CRFG Members have reported that their tube trap has dispatched as many as three or four squirrles in one afternoon, so it seems to be a pretty effective device and should be is worth a look-see if you're getting rodent damage to your fruit.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

I had two of the rust resistant version and can vouch they work quite well.  The tube trap will also eliminate larger rats and baby opossums (I hate when I have to remove the baby opossums).  I don't recommend putting them on the tops of walls without modifications.  The recoil when the trap is set will cause it to fall off the wall.  I have since mount my tube trap on 6"x 14" boards. I set my traps on top the brick wall.  It's a major traffic route for the squirrels, rats and opossums.  I highly recommend disposing of the carcass as soon as possible.  Other critters will assist in disposing of the carcass.  I didn't empty out one of traps and the whole thing (trap and squirrel) disappeared by the next day.  Not sure what animal is strong enough to pick up the trap and carry it over my 8 ft. wall. 

Maybe this fox???

Tony

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »
maybe it was a coyote?  Ive got a rouge coyote going for my animals now.  Im going to catch him tonight. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk