Author Topic: How to make Surinam Cherry taste better?  (Read 1683 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
How to make Surinam Cherry taste better?
« on: August 24, 2021, 12:57:05 AM »
Here is what I did.  Put the Surinam cherry in a bowl of cold water and let it sit for few hours.  That is make it taste a lot better. If not eat the peel, totally tasty.  Cold water is cold not room temperature water.  Add ice to it is even better.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:59:12 AM by pinkturtle »

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: How to make Surinam Cherry taste better?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 02:58:47 AM »
Also I have heard reoprts that placing the picked fruit in a covered bowl in the 'fridge overnight will remove that turpentine-y taste.  Should be worth a try.

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:17:16 PM by Epicatt2 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 07:45:51 AM »
How about put the cherries in a bowl or large jar of cold water, then place in your refrigerator for a day or two. I think the cold water trick mentioned above leaches out the taste that people object to. Described as piney or like gasoline. Next year I will try this for sure. My neighbor has a hedge of Surinam cherries...and fortuitously a bird dropped a seed in just the right location. This Surinam cherry tree is growing vey fast and bushy, now four ft. tall. It had cherries this year.

The reddest ripest ones taste the best. You can lay a blue tarp underneath your tree and eat ones that have fallen off. They are ripe for sure! Ripe meaning the best chance of not having the off tastes we don't like.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 02:55:08 PM »
Here is what I did.  Put the Surinam cherry in a bowl of cold water and let it sit for few hours.  That is make it taste a lot better. If not eat the peel, totally tasty.  Cold water is cold not room temperature water.  Add ice to it is even better.

Al, I found out as my Vermillion tree gets older, the aftertaste is diminished to almost none, especially if you pick it fully ripe (it will fall right away when you barely touch it).
The taste is extremely sweet with mango aftertaste.
I also just purchased a Lolita suriname cherry that airlayered from a 20 years old tree. My tree is in 5 gallon only, but very productive and the fruit does not have any aftertaste, eventhough it is not as sweet as my Vermillion in ground. But I expect the fruit to get better after I put the Lolita in ground.
You are welcome to have some cuttings from my trees if you want to graft it unto your seedling. I can share the ripe fruit (it full with green fruits now) if I happen to be on the way to your place, because once you picked the ripe fruits you have to eat it right away, otherwise you will loose the wonderful mango aftertaste.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:11:46 PM by palingkecil »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 03:48:20 PM »
Thanks palingkecil, I would love to try it when it is ripe.  Just PM me when it is ready, I can stop by.

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 08:55:35 PM »
Hey palingkecil. I'd be interested in buying or trading for some cuttings if available.

I bought a "black" surinam cherry from Mimosa a few years back. It finally fruited this year, but it produced this little guy...

The cherry seemed to be fully ripe. Soft and fell off with a touch. Since this was it's first fruiting, is there any chance it will eventually produce black fruit or was it just mislabeled?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 10:18:09 PM by shmojojojo »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 09:02:55 PM »
Hi shmojojojo,

I don't think it will produce black fruit.  My tree is fruiting the first time this year.  The fruits are black.  When they are not riped, they are red.  They are flowering again now, look like it can flower 3 time a year.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 09:06:07 PM »
grow black suriname cherry
much sweeter

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 09:36:38 PM »
The first fruits on my red seedling surinam cherry were very good right off the tree.  Less resinous than I remember the black type being when I first tried them (growing all over in Hawaii).  My black one is flowering hopefully it will make fruit and I can compare the two

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 10:06:16 PM »
Hi shmojojojo,

I don't think it will produce black fruit.  My tree is fruiting the first time this year.  The fruits are black.  When they are not riped, they are red.  They are flowering again now, look like it can flower 3 time a year.

Yeah, I figured  :( 

I guess I'm just going to graft to it. Nice fruits BTW!

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 01:21:56 AM »
I had heard to place them in the fridge, cut them in half and sprinkle sugar on them.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 02:24:59 AM »
Hey palingkecil. I'd be interested in buying or trading for some cuttings if available.

I bought a "black" surinam cherry from Mimosa a few years back. It finally fruited this year, but it produced this little guy...

The cherry seemed to be fully ripe. Soft and fell off with a touch. Since this was it's first fruiting, is there any chance it will eventually produce black fruit or was it just mislabeled?

I can give you cuttings for free next spring if you want to pick up.
I heard that green wood easier to graft, but I never try myself.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 10:12:54 AM »
I had heard to place them in the fridge, cut them in half and sprinkle sugar on them.
Sprinkling sugar on a backyard fruit is just wrong :-\ ....It is either grown right or it is not. Glenn mango is naturally bland. Should I sprinkle sugar on it?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »
Not just sugar.
Add msg, salt, cayenne.
Bland no more.

You guys add seaweed, msg to your plants.
Cut out the middleman and add directly to fruits.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 09:09:39 PM »
I think these fruits just arent that great.  Not worth growing really.  :P  :'(
Brad Spaugh

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 04:46:08 AM »
I can give you cuttings for free next spring if you want to pick up.
I heard that green wood easier to graft, but I never try myself.

I appreciate that. If there's anything you're looking for, let me know. I should have a list of all my plants by next spring.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 09:38:01 AM »
A friend has two Suriname cherry trees. One is red fruits, the other puts out the black variety. The ripe blacks are definitely better, that 95% of the fruits will be a very nice sweet with no off tastes. With ripe as possible reds, the percentage is 50-60%. You can pick lots more ripe reds and toss the ones with the offending taste to them. I have a red tree and next door neighbor a red hedge.

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »
How close is the flavor of a suriname cherry to pitangatuba?

My pitangatubas taste like poison.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 02:11:10 PM »
How close is the flavor of a suriname cherry to pitangatuba?

My pitangatubas taste like poison.
I like both my suriname cherry and pitangatuba.
Suriname cherry tastes a lot sweeter and has different aftertaste than pitangatuba.
But my pitangatuba was quite good. It was bigger than suriname cherry, has a little more fiber but not stringy, sweet with tangy aftertaste and has tropical apricot flavor to it. I actually really liked my pitangatuba, got it as seedling 4 years ago and had the first fruit last year. I liked it a lot so I moved them into the ground from a 5 gallon pot, but my toddler pulled the tree and ripped the root off😭.
I am thinking to get another pitangatuba seedling, but it depends on your luck wether you will end up with delicious fruit or really bad fruit. And it takes 4 years for them to bear the first fruit.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2021, 05:17:06 PM »
My pitangatubas are very stringy and I'm still on the fence about the sweet and sour taste.  It has a nice citrus element... but also reminds me a bit of puke :-/

I think surinam cherries taste much different.  Sweeter, no strings, no citrus/sour taste.  Sometimes resinous, though.