Author Topic: Polar vortex heading to FL next week?  (Read 8085 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Polar vortex heading to FL next week?
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2021, 02:19:55 PM »
I will also add, do you even know what a polar vortex is or means?  The polar vortex does not dive into Florida.  It is a somewhat common winter feature that sends cold air south by way of fronts.  How far south and how cold will vary, depending on locations of features in the atmosphere.  South Florida gets numerous cold front every winter but rarely so they turn out to be frigid and/or deep freezes.

Now, will we get a cold front next week, yes.  Will it be as strong and frigid as this previous which was unusually cold based on Florida's weather, absolutely not. 
- Rob

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2021, 03:38:50 PM »
I love it when people post links or images without explanation of what they "think" it means (usually cause they dont know but they saw it posted elsewhere so it must be relevant/accurate).... 
- Rob

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2021, 05:01:38 PM »
I live in palm city fl and on 2/3 I woke up to a thin sheet of ice on my windshield and lawns were covered in frost...low said 36 but must have been the microclimate and wind chill? 🤷‍♂️ Took a pic of the pedalai seedling today seems somewhat affected, 8 salak seedlings I’m growing are unfazed. I don’t bother to cover anything just took much work.

I haven’t mowed my lawn in almost two months and the grass is totally dormant love it LOL

-joe

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
I will also add, do you even know what a polar vortex is or means?  The polar vortex does not dive into Florida.  It is a somewhat common winter feature that sends cold air south by way of fronts.  How far south and how cold will vary, depending on locations of features in the atmosphere.  South Florida gets numerous cold front every winter but rarely so they turn out to be frigid and/or deep freezes.

Now, will we get a cold front next week, yes.  Will it be as strong and frigid as this previous which was unusually cold based on Florida's weather, absolutely not.
I have no idea what a polar vortexian is but did you see any chance of rain on any of those models :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2021, 11:01:01 AM »
Models seem to be favoring cold air impacting south Texas more than FL now, a ridge will likely hold it back from reaching into FL. But even 7 days out the models have hundreds of miles of error margin. No change over the last 5 days in terms of that deep dip of cold air, and as I stated several days ago it still could impact either South Texas, Central FL, or anywhere in between. I never said it was guaranteed to hit FL but I get reading comprehension is tough sometimes.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2021, 11:48:40 AM »
Models seem to be favoring cold air impacting south Texas more than FL now, a ridge will likely hold it back from reaching into FL. But even 7 days out the models have hundreds of miles of error margin. No change over the last 5 days in terms of that deep dip of cold air, and as I stated several days ago it still could impact either South Texas, Central FL, or anywhere in between. I never said it was guaranteed to hit FL but I get reading comprehension is tough sometimes.

Dude, enough.  Stop the shit.  If you want to post and learn about weather, go to Dr. Master's Yale site (I say learn cause you obviously dont know).
- Rob

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2021, 06:17:56 PM »

Dude, enough.  Stop the shit.  If you want to post and learn about weather, go to Dr. Master's Yale site (I say learn cause you obviously dont know).

Dude, I minored in atmospheric science, do you want my technical analysis instead of the layman version I've been posting? 😂

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2021, 08:56:13 PM »
That polar vortex is reaching Texas.  North Texas will be 2 degrees Monday night, and have snow.  Wichita, KS, where my son's work has taken him, will be 14 below.  That's dangerous for a Florida boy!
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2021, 10:23:29 PM »
minored? let's all settle down

gonna spray like a vortexian with minors this weekend

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2021, 01:10:10 AM »
minored? let's all settle down

gonna spray like a vortexian with minors this weekend
Woah now 🧐

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2021, 01:13:24 AM »
That polar vortex is reaching Texas.  North Texas will be 2 degrees Monday night, and have snow.  Wichita, KS, where my son's work has taken him, will be 14 below.  That's dangerous for a Florida boy!

6b can get to 0F or even a little below
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:15:10 AM by 850FL »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2021, 06:07:04 AM »

6b can get to 0F or even a little below
Wow that is brutal I wonder what the windchill factor will be? As a precautionary note they should probably dress appropriately and put on their vortexian armor

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2021, 12:28:24 PM »
Man that's dense air!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2021, 03:19:37 PM »
Let me remind you, dear friend, that weather and climate are two different things, and climate scientists with Ph.D's are a lot smarter than you and me.  (Now this will stir some controversy.)  But if you think Al Gore is an idiot, I would probably agree.  Anyhoo, I sure as hell am enjoying this winter!
What is the latest polar vortexian model for Florida. You do realize Al Gore has the lockbox with our social security and he also invent the internet. Would you like for us to lose those privileges :)

I hope the Ace Hardware in Ashton hasn't sold out ???
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:06:20 PM by bovine421 »

swincher

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »
Looks like the trend is even colder than the models were saying a week ago when they settled on the arctic air mass heading west to Texas instead of east to FL.

Could be seeing a multi-day hard frost in areas of south Texas that haven't seen that kind of weather in 30+ years, or maybe ever.

Protect those trees!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2021, 04:43:44 PM »
Looks like the trend is even colder than the models were saying a week ago when they settled on the arctic air mass heading west to Texas instead of east to FL.

Could be seeing a multi-day hard frost in areas of south Texas that haven't seen that kind of weather in 30+ years, or maybe ever.

Protect those trees!
Thank you for starting this thread.Yes i poked fun of your models but you kept us informed. That was a good thing because that made me realize that I needed to do something different as in micro jet sprinklers . Thanks to the input of others I am fully committed in doing so. Parts are on their way. I saw a Weather Channel map today the whole country looks like a freezer box. It could have very well pushed into Florida.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:47:13 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2021, 06:51:31 PM »
Weather is not random and models are not forecasts.  It takes humans with knowledge aka meteorologists, not just random map posting, to forecast weather.  There was bever a chance for this pattern to effect central and south Florida.

Is there frigid temps and winter storms affecting the Conus?  Yes but what do you expect,  we are in the heart of winter.

Follow your area/regional NWS forecasts, not this site for accurate forecasts.  This is the tropical fruit forum, not a tropical weather forum. 
- Rob

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »
Speaking of Tropical Fruit, I did a walkabout today to see how things were faring post-frost.

Some mango leaves got some damage (PPK seedling here)

My Baptiste seedling had put out new growth immediately preceding the frost. Here it is two days post-frost

And here's the new growth today. It appears to have some damage, but wasn't killed

And, finally, the M-4 blossoms that were on the tree during the frost have opened up, much to the pleasure of wasps and flies and me

Hopefully everyone else fared as well.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »
From our cold snap, 36 degrees and frost, I have much of my mango blooms that were open or almost open are toast.  I also have damage to my saps and dwarf red bananas that was holding immature fruit.
- Rob

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2021, 08:16:34 PM »
Wow, that sucks, Rob. We got down to 36° here, as well. Why do you think you got much more damage?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2021, 08:34:34 PM »
Wow, that sucks, Rob. We got down to 36° here, as well. Why do you think you got much more damage?

The frost.  The good thing is my yard is open do it has good airflow.  When cold and no wind like we had, the frost dominated.
- Rob

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2021, 01:21:53 AM »
This time of year I have no idea what to expect, whether or not to wear shorts and a tshirt or 2 winter jackets when I walk out the door in the morning..

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2021, 01:25:03 AM »
Weather is not random and models are not forecasts.  It takes humans with knowledge aka meteorologists, not just random map posting, to forecast weather. There was bever a chance for this pattern to effect central and south Florida.

Is there frigid temps and winter storms affecting the Conus?  Yes but what do you expect,  we are in the heart of winter.

Follow your area/regional NWS forecasts, not this site for accurate forecasts.  This is the tropical fruit forum, not a tropical weather forum.

Haha o must agree with this. But he did mention  it might be a 30 year low I’m some areas so..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk