Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 533066 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #2025 on: May 31, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »
Often chelated mixes of micro-nutrients have Magnesium Sulfate and Boric Acid, neither of which is chelated, but usually work fine, for foliar sprays.  The pH of the soil is immaterial for foliar sprays.  For soil drenches, with micros, I imagine that Sodium Borate might work better, as far as not getting "tied up."
Har

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: June 02, 2021, 09:12:24 AM »
Often chelated mixes of micro-nutrients have Magnesium Sulfate and Boric Acid, neither of which is chelated, but usually work fine, for foliar sprays.  The pH of the soil is immaterial for foliar sprays.  For soil drenches, with micros, I imagine that Sodium Borate might work better, as far as not getting "tied up."

I have to help out with a soil drench as I'm having problems with what appears to be the immobile nutrients, so it's mentally challenging me to think that newer leaves could benefit from Boron/calcium when fed to older leaves. How mobile are immobile nutrients Har? Thanks

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: June 04, 2021, 09:14:37 PM »
Well-supplied leaves will be less of a demand on sap passing by to the new growth.
Har

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: June 05, 2021, 09:25:19 AM »
Solubor (boron) and Keyplex 350DP are in my toolbox.  Boron should be applied about a month before flowering on most fruiting plants/trees/grapevines albeit it in very small amounts.  Avocados especially benefit from an application via the foliage.  Be sure and add a non ionic surfactant to your spray or you're wasting your time.  Will become rainfast as soon as it dries/sets.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: June 10, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
Trees with susceptibility to Mango Bacterial Black Spot are not consistent from one year to the next.  They can be terrible, one year, or two or three years in a row, and then clean up.
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: June 10, 2021, 06:18:28 PM »
Trees with susceptibility to Mango Bacterial Black Spot are not consistent from one year to the next.  They can be terrible, one year, or two or three years in a row, and then clean up.

Depends on your pressures such as periods of constant rain. 

Highly recommend a foliar spray of Pristine, a systemic broad spectrum fungicide/bactericide, when disease pressures are high.  It will take care of your MBSBS, and much more.  We vineyard owners use this Aggie recommended product on many fruits and vines.  Have used it on mangos.   Pristine includes a "strobby".  I know of one very large commercial Fl. mango grower/seller that uses it.  His fruit is indeed "pristine".

1 - 4 with 4 having the highest protection.  Notice "black rot" and bunch rot ratings.

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: June 14, 2021, 05:09:02 PM »

Highly recommend a foliar spray of Pristine, a systemic broad spectrum fungicide/bactericide, when disease pressures are high.  It will take care of your MBSBS, and much more.  We vineyard owners use this Aggie recommended product on many fruits and vines.  Have used it on mangos.   Pristine includes a "strobby".  I know of one very large commercial Fl. mango grower/seller that uses it.  His fruit is indeed "pristine".

1 - 4 with 4 having the highest protection.  Notice "black rot" and bunch rot ratings.

I would love to get my hands on that but unfortunately I'm merely a hobbyist with only have a few trees, so I can't justify paying $400. I wish there was something sold in a smaller quantity that is just as effective. I prefer systemics and really like Organocide Plant Doctor, but I need something that can also tackle powdery mildew and MBBS (Plant Doctor says it only handles anthracnose in mangos).

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: June 15, 2021, 07:54:50 AM »
I would love to get my hands on that but unfortunately I'm merely a hobbyist with only have a few trees, so I can't justify paying $400. I wish there was something sold in a smaller quantity that is just as effective. I prefer systemics and really like Organocide Plant Doctor, but I need something that can also tackle powdery mildew and MBBS (Plant Doctor says it only handles anthracnose in mangos).

Do a group buy.  I split a jug with a friend probably 12 years ago.  Still have some left.   $329 on ebay.   
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402745533955?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=402745533955&targetid=882300791467&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9027556&poi=&campaignid=1669934603&mkgroupid=65058347419&rlsatarget=pla-882300791467&abcId=1123856&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysvY1MmZ8QIVPW1vBB3CywOREAQYBSABEgJyQvD_BwE

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: June 15, 2021, 01:01:02 PM »

Not sure how it compares to Pristine but I have had some great success on my mango trees with Monterey LG3374 Complete Concentrate Fungicide & Bactericide which is available through Amazon in small quantities.  Wish I had some scientific analysis knowledge to compare for you.  Perhaps someone else has more knowledge for comparison and can chime in.

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: June 16, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
Not sure how it compares to Pristine but I have had some great success on my mango trees with Monterey LG3374 Complete Concentrate Fungicide & Bactericide which is available through Amazon in small quantities.  Wish I had some scientific analysis knowledge to compare for you.  Perhaps someone else has more knowledge for comparison and can chime in.

Thanks, I will look into it!

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: June 16, 2021, 10:29:48 AM »
Har, I posted this in a new thread but hoping I can get your input on it. Someone suggested to me using composted manure on my mango trees. I'm a little skeptical. What do you think?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: June 16, 2021, 01:20:54 PM »
"Skeptical" is good.  I would only use manure compost, lightly, around a mango, if the mango looks severely Nitrogen deficient--- ratty, defoliating, dieback.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: June 25, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »
It seems that one should separately rate skin and pulp in their resistance to Mango Bacterial Black Spot.

With Keitt, neither the skin nor the pulp is resistant;  even what look like minor surface spots of the disease will have deep lines of visible infection to  the seed and then laterally along the seed.  Even while the fruit is still green, it can all be ruined already.

With Lemon Zest, each fruit will have one infection on the shoulder, and it penetrates to the seed;  however, most of that same fruit ripens properly and is absolutely prime.

Some fruits get many spots of the disease, which stay right near the skin in the pulp, and the rest is good to eat.

A few varieties hardly get the disease at all, and when a spot gets started, it piles above the skin, as a cosmetic blemish, and stays out of the pulp entirely.
Har

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: June 26, 2021, 12:14:30 PM »
It seems that one should separately rate skin and pulp in their resistance to Mango Bacterial Black Spot.

With Keitt, neither the skin nor the pulp is resistant;  even what look like minor surface spots of the disease will have deep lines of visible infection to  the seed and then laterally along the seed.  Even while the fruit is still green, it can all be ruined already.

With Lemon Zest, each fruit will have one infection on the shoulder, and it penetrates to the seed;  however, most of that same fruit ripens properly and is absolutely prime.

Some fruits get many spots of the disease, which stay right near the skin in the pulp, and the rest is good to eat.

A few varieties hardly get the disease at all, and when a spot gets started, it piles above the skin, as a cosmetic blemish, and stays out of the pulp entirely.

Thanks for the really good insights Har. I've heard a lot about how disease resistant sweet tart is, would you consider it among those that hardly get MBBS?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: June 26, 2021, 03:13:54 PM »
The disease that I often see on Sweet Tart is a soft stem-end rot, probably Phomopsis.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:23:34 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: June 26, 2021, 03:42:41 PM »

Hi Har!

This is great and very informational!

May I ask, other than Keitt, what are some other varieties where MBBS makes the fruit inedible?

On the opposite end of the spectrum, what are some varieties that are MBBS resistant or the fruit is still edible despite a little MBBS?

How do your other "supremely delicious" mangos, other than Lemon Zest, rate with MBBS (Fruit Punch, Jakarta, Kathy, M-4, Orange Essence, Pram Kai Meu, Carrie)?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: June 26, 2021, 06:43:30 PM »
On our mango hunt deep into the heart of Bokeelia, Stanley's Mango Stand had some Mun Kun Si mangos for sale. Outwardly they looked good, but cutting into them, this is what I done seen. So what is this affliction? Also: Is the seed from this specimen not fit for planting? Thanks!

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: June 26, 2021, 09:53:14 PM »
Need help identifying what's going on with my Sweet Tart. New growth is looking sick and not developing. Please see attached pics. Thanks so much for looking at it.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: June 27, 2021, 12:22:23 PM »
Paquicuba,

Multiple nutrient deficiencies, especially of Zinc and Copper and Manganese, possibly even of Potassium and Calcium.

This sudden difference, compared to healthy previous growth, was probably caused by drought over part of the root area;  however, there is a possibility that the deficiencies were caused by vein blockage, such as that caused by Fusarium fungus, as the last picture looks like Mango Malformation just getting started.

Whatever the cause from nature, it was made worse by your going on a kick to cut back most of the branches, which is excessive at any time of year, and made even worse by doing so during the dry Spring.  Most pruning should be done in Summer or early Fall, when there is plenty of moisture and heat for tree recovery.

Pruning cuts on small branches should be made below growth flush rings.  When pruning is done just above growth flush rings, as shown in these pictures, an excess of sprouting occurs.  Excess sprouts should be removed right away, so that no more than four sprouts remain from one branch, and fewer than that if there is no obvious space for new branches to occupy without dense crowding.

If, after removal of excess sprouts and after improved watering and mineral nutrient provision, the branch in the last picture continues to be aberrant, cut it off.

Sanitize fingers and clippers after any contact with possibly infected branches, before touching branches that appear healthy.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: June 27, 2021, 12:42:18 PM »
FlMikey,

I haven't observed Kathy, M-4, or Orange Essence under high disease pressure from Mango Bacterial Black Spot.  The few fruits I have seen on topworked branches of big trees, haven't seemed problematic. 

Carrie is very resistant.

Fruit Punch is also usually clean, with only localized penetration of pulp at worst.

Pram Kai Mea (Brahm Kay Meu) is usually clean fruited, but the tree is highly susceptible to the foliar form of MBBS.  When spots occur on the very ripe fruits, pulp penetration tends to be about 1/8 of an inch, and these bad spots peel right off with the skin.

All of these observations are at Truly Tropical, under usually ideal weather conditions for mangos.  When I picked the experimental collection/grove at Zill's in 2015, MBBS was not present.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: June 27, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »
Fliptop,

Those internal defects look like Boron deficiency.  Still edible.  Seed should still be good.
Har

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: June 27, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
Thanks, as always, Har!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: June 28, 2021, 08:52:09 AM »

Active Ingredient:Bacillus amyloliquefaciensstrain D747* ..............................  98.85%

I can vouch for the effectiveness of Pristine having used it for 15 years.  Texas Agrilife has some incredible fruit and grape scientists and updates their fungicide list often.

The label also recommends rotating it with other chemical classes, a practice all growers should practice whether the back yard gardener with 10 mango trees or commercial doing 1,000.  3X per year max is what's recommended I believe.  Kicker is it's so damn expensive.

Probably the cheapest fungicide/bactericide for you Florida growers is a local Fl. product called Magnabon CS2005.  It's also OMRI certified in case you roll that way.  Use at a rate of 2 tsp/gallon and don't forget to add NIS, a non ionic surfactant, to your spray or you're wasting your time.  It will be rainfast as soon as it dries for an hour or two.  1 tsp./gallon for most NIS strengths.  Scale up for large volume mixes.

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: July 06, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »
Thanks so much Har for your very informative expert advice!

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: July 06, 2021, 05:46:28 PM »
FlMikey,

I haven't observed Kathy, M-4, or Orange Essence under high disease pressure from Mango Bacterial Black Spot.  The few fruits I have seen on topworked branches of big trees, haven't seemed problematic. 

Carrie is very resistant.

Fruit Punch is also usually clean, with only localized penetration of pulp at worst.

Pram Kai Mea (Brahm Kay Meu) is usually clean fruited, but the tree is highly susceptible to the foliar form of MBBS.  When spots occur on the very ripe fruits, pulp penetration tends to be about 1/8 of an inch, and these bad spots peel right off with the skin.

All of these observations are at Truly Tropical, under usually ideal weather conditions for mangos.  When I picked the experimental collection/grove at Zill's in 2015, MBBS was not present.

Thank you very much for the information Har!  Really useful!