Author Topic: Can you grow Soursop/Guanabana in California  (Read 11113 times)

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Can you grow Soursop/Guanabana in California
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2023, 10:42:33 AM »
I was unsuccessful growing them in Miami. The one I had dropped all the leaves if it got below 40F/5C. It didn't kill it, but it had a hard time recovering, never fruited.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2023, 12:39:10 PM »

It's been fruited in Iceland and Russia as well.
I don't think you'll find a huge variation in temperature tolerance.
The main trick, as with any other tropical that doesn't like it below 50 degree's, is getting the fruit to hold & grow & sweeten over winter .

I think Seanny is onto something with the inter stock graft being a great idea.

A. Montana pollen must not be compatible, likely previously tried and documented by Har on the forum somewhere.

soursop has been fruited in north san diego.  *pats self on back for saving that video in a playlist*

coincidentally, today a guy doing some work on my house showed me a pic of his soursop tree here in the los angeles area.  it had a bunch of fruits on it last year but they didn't survive the long winter.  he said that he grew it from seed from nayarit.  i gave him a 5 gallon nanche as down-payment for future seeds/scions from his soursop.

how much variation in temp tolerance is there among soursops from different locations?  i have small seedlings from florida, costa rica and oaxaca mexico.  so far i haven't tested any outside over the winter.

it's surprising that i haven't heard of anyone crossing soursop with mountain soursop.

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2023, 10:37:38 PM »
I don't think you'll find a huge variation in temperature tolerance.
back in feb i visited a friend's local nursery and took a pic of half his soursop seedlings...

the vast majority were deciduous or dead.  when did the 1st seedling lose its leaves?  january?  december?  when would the last seedling have lost its leaves?  march?  april?

I think Seanny is onto something with the inter stock graft being a great idea.

i'm a bit surprised that cherilata is suitable to graft soursop onto.  i searched and searched for a phylogenetic tree of annona and this was the best i could find... Relationship between fruit phenotypes and domestication in hexaploid populations of biribá ( Annona mucosa ) in Brazilian Amazonia...

seems like rollinia deliciosa is closer to soursop than cherimoya and reticulata. 

A. Montana pollen must not be compatible, likely previously tried and documented by Har on the forum somewhere.

i think that i read in some thread that har wrote that montana is a good rootstock for rollinia.  it would be surprising if montana pollen wasn't compatible with soursop.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2023, 03:07:32 PM »
I read on this forum that soursop is compatible to muricata.
I have a graft of cherilata to soursop.
The graft union looks perfect.
That’s why I’m trying out grafting soursop to Cherilata.
I’m keep 2 low branches of cherilata to nurse the rootstock when the soursop defoliate over winter.

I may try out grafting soursop to 48-17 and pond apple interstock later.

booeyschewy

• Bahia, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2023, 04:00:36 AM »
My neighbor in miami had one that was mature and fruited small fruits and we were maybe 2mi from the coast. It would die back hard every few years and didn’t tolerate cold stress at all.

CreolaSimonis

• 17935 Haylie Rapids Suite 449 West Jaylan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2023, 02:12:12 AM »
In the case of the plant you mentioned, it appears that it was not able to tolerate the cool temperatures in Miami, which hindered its growth and fruiting.