Author Topic: Salaks  (Read 2451 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Salaks
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2021, 05:25:47 AM »
Ok for cold tolerance varieties sources from the eastern highlands of Bali or wallichiana -sala from Isaan are the best bets.Any other Salacca zalacca zaacca male should pollinate the Malaysian female.

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 09:52:15 PM »
Hello - I recently impulsively bought two Salak palms (listed as Salacca zalacca) and I have two questions

1) Am I delusional that I think I can get them to grow in Brisbane, Australia?  I do not believe my variety is the highland one but it only reaches freezing only 1-2 nights a year and never below.   
2) Has anyone heard about their tolerance to being watered with greywater?  Bananas handle it fine.  It seems like an easy way to keep the moisture up when the temperature rises before the wet season.

Also - I know I'll need more plants to increase my chances of fruit but those were the only two available.  I'll probably try to source some seeds to grow more. 

Thanks for your input!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 04:45:58 AM »
Well Fizz it may pay to plan your impulse fruit tree collecting a little more and target a gula pasir from Bali. Pity no Aussies go there.You have a 1 in 2 chance of having a male and female and the plants are likely to be from yogyarta or bali lowlands and they seem reasonably common in circulation. They needs lots of extra water in Briz as they are a swamp palm. I think they are in with a real shot of surviving if in a good spot but producing fruit is another matter. Going to freezing temps is an issue so see how they take it.

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2021, 07:39:40 PM »
Thanks Mike,

Any advice on where to source seeds for gula pasir or Salacca zalacca var. amboinensis so I can give my new poorly thought out plants some friends?

Cheers,
Christian