Author Topic: Rooting gooseberry cuttings  (Read 699 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Rooting gooseberry cuttings
« on: March 12, 2021, 06:48:39 AM »
I have several gooseberry plants which I have to prune in a few days and will have alot of cuttings to play with. How do I proceed to root them ?? Just stick in a well drained soil and keep moist ? Sun position ?? Thanks a bunch !!

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting gooseberry cuttings
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:40:45 AM »
If they’re like most other plants you’d take from cuttings, do the 40 degree cut then stick in perlite and dappled shade. No direct sun.. if direct sun hits that spot some part of the day, throw screen over the top. If you are not in a humid environment, you may need to mist daily or install an automated mist system

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 12:51:50 AM »
If they’re like most other plants you’d take from cuttings, do the 40 degree cut then stick in perlite and dappled shade. No direct sun.. if direct sun hits that spot some part of the day, throw screen over the top. If you are not in a humid environment, you may need to mist daily or install an automated mist system
thanks, yes they are cuttings from trimming my plants, I already planted them in garden soil in pots since I watched videos of people rooting them straight in the garden and not using any special treatments ,they seem hardy and easy to root with provide d constant moisture.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 05:48:48 PM »
I root them in water

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 02:27:29 AM »
I root them in water
really?? At what time of the season do u do this ? Do the cuttings need to have mature leaves, or them being new same years growth ?

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 06:45:45 PM »
Before freezing, last year in mid December. Now they have roots and plant them back to ground.