Author Topic: Bottom tier mangos. Don't plant these.  (Read 9285 times)

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Bottom tier mangos. Don't plant these.
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 09:27:49 AM »
Ah sorry Mike I should have been more clear. My big list was just that of the typically grown backyard varieties in Brisbane, not ones which I have growing specifically. Thankfully I never put a Glenn, Keitt, or Kent in the ground before trying them. I had a Palmer last season which wasn't bad but generally I'm not a fan.

R2E2 I kind of put in the Calypso category where they aren't my go to mango but they're nice mild change if your lips are burning from the more flavorful varieties. Those two are more like melons than mangos to me. Not bad just different.

Honey gold is great but I haven't put one in the ground as I've read it is disease prone. The ones I have are Alphonso, Maha, Kwan, and lemon zest.  Maha is one of the best mangos I've tried so I got a tree a few days after I first tasted one. Haven't tried a Kwan so I'm happy to hear your good reports on it!  I've tried a fantastic Fonz in the UK but never in Australia so we'll see how we go. I drank the marketing Kool aid on lemon zest.

By hydrocarbon taint are you referring to the turpentine qualities of some varieties?  Or is this a different issue? Some people seem to like a bit of the old chemical flavour. I thought I wasn't one of them but I'm a feijoa nut and I was told by someone they taste like toilet cleaner so perhaps I'm not the best judge of this quality in mangos

Eirlis

• Lake Forest, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2021, 02:01:11 PM »
Lemon Zest is on the bottom for me. So much powdery mildew even spraying copper every other week during flowering. Hardly any fruit set. Such a waste of space.
My coconut cream is also barely productive. Sigh.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »
Lemon Zest is still a rock star ⭐️ for me down here in western Broward County South Florida.  At this point It’s still pushing as the #1 contender for GOAT status. 

However, grown in different micro climates, let alone a different coast or continent, who knows …

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2021, 02:25:22 PM »
"Lemon Zest is still a rock star ⭐️ for me down here in western Broward County South Florida" +1 in southern Palm Beach County.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:30:29 PM by FLnative »

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2021, 02:26:34 PM »
I just talked to another person in California with powdery mildew and some disease fruit. I think lemonzest is more suited for Florida

Lemon Zest is on the bottom for me. So much powdery mildew even spraying copper every other week during flowering. Hardly any fruit set. Such a waste of space.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 02:59:02 PM »
I just talked to another person in California with powdery mildew and some disease fruit. I think lemonzest is more suited for Florida

Except for Palm Springs/Coachella Valley!
John

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 03:24:58 PM »
This is what I'm worried about with LZ. I've heard such glowing reviews on the flavour I had to try when I found someone with a tree. I'm not sure what about Florida makes it more suitable than Cali but Brisbane is dry subtropical so we'll just have to see how I go. This is still a very rare variety around here. If it ends up being more trouble than it's worth I can always top work it making it a very expensive rootstock :)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 03:41:55 PM »

Yea I’ll get bashed but here’s my experience and opinion:
1) Coco cream: hate the sunscreen flavor, hate the sgraggly growth habit, hate the fungal issues. She gone from my Miami yard.
2) Pickering: tastes like FUNKY FLIP FLOPS. Just miserably bad flavor for me every time. She gone.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 04:14:39 PM »
Briz yes it was the turpentine or chemical taint alsp known as hydrocarbon taint. I once had a Julie tree and was delighted to take to it with an axe after trying the less than mediocre fruit.The kamerunga fruit research station had quite a big Indian mango selection and I was surprised at how poor the fruit quality was compared to their SE Asian selections. Yeah calypso is bland but if you ever lay your hands on a Sam ru du BF now that is areal winner.

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 06:56:08 PM »
Southern Blush. Sold to us by a grower based on how good the fruit tasted but that tree will be the death of me. Gets simply overwhelmed with powdery mildew, MBBS, and anthracnose. Have tried lots of different fungicide but there is always one disease that slips through and takes out the fruit. It's really disheartening too because otherwise the tree flowers like crazy and puts out a bunch of small fruit, but they all fall off as soon as they get pea sized. I just got a sweet tart so I think that as I train that I will take its cuttings and try my hand at grafting onto the SB.

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2021, 10:20:19 PM »
Diamond, TA, Hatcher...and have to add Carrie and its cohorts  (Angie, Ugly Betty).

As far as "carroty" as some say is found in Mallika, I would say that learning when to pick and ripen will make all the difference in the world.

Tried my first Ugly Betty this week.  It was sweet enough, but it was both sweet and savory.
Didn't get the typical "spice" flavor - I got a canned chicken or Vienna Sausage aftertaste.
An entrée and dessert in one!  A complete meal!

I guess the UB likers get a different flavor. 
I'll try another if I can, but if they all taste like that then I'll pass.

Anybody else taste something like what I describe in UB?

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:20 PM »
Aha as I suspected some of these floridian stars are turning out to be flops.Good on you guys for calling them out. BF you have 5 varieties often referred in the local parlance as trash. Kent, palmer,Glenn, brooks and keitt command the lowest prices in the market and are unfit to take a place in a mango lovers yard. Correct that feral stringies have a superior taste than these and are the best for chutney and even manfgo icecream. Keow Sawoy can be aten ripe and iit is good. Maha and NDM are great and kwan is just like a big NDM and great. The KPs are 1st class but R2E3 is a bit bland but ok. Honey gold is really nice. BTW we are forgetting the most offensive quality in some mango varieties. Hydrocarbon taint, which is quite acceptable in some parts of the world but not SE Asia or Australia. In papaya the offensive taint in cold grown yellows especially is known as nasturtium.
Haha, you're seriously hyping up KP and NDM while hating on the so called "floridian stars"?

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2021, 10:53:55 PM »
I like KP but I do think it is a little overrated relative to Maha (king thai).  Aussies are pretty proud of KP but the SE Asian enthusiasts just laugh at us supposedly.  Bambaroo is supposed to be an improved KP I have not had the pleasure of trying yet. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 07:10:23 AM »
BD I was more trying to flush a Floridian from the underbrush. I was surprised many people rated these new stars so lowly.I havent sampled these so I'm throwing stones blind. Brizz KP is pretty good but yeah maha is better. NDM could have a feather more acid for a better acid sugar balance but they good. Try a Keitt or Brooks with a maha or even a KP and you'll be hocking them up. Bambaroo is near Ingham and the source for the improved selection and yes they are more ....mangoey.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »

1) Coco cream: hate the sunscreen flavor, hate the sgraggly growth habit, hate the fungal issues. She gone from my Miami yard.
2) Pickering: tastes like FUNKY FLIP FLOPS. Just miserably bad flavor for me every time. She gone.
Funky flip flops?  I can't even imagine that!  (My Pickering tasted good to 95 out of 100 people.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:14:11 PM by johnb51 »
John

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »
I wonder if the taste is dependent on location.  Glen, Malika, Rosigold and Keitt are among my favorites.
I discontinued Carrie (too soft, average flavor, disease problems), and Lancetilla (bad flavor).
not crazy about Nam Doc Mai (too sweet and nothing else. Slight hint of sulfur, yikes). Wife's favorite Mango and many other people like them a lot, so I kept the tree. Very pretty, trouble free tree with nice, dense foliage.
Maha, tastes like a carrot, but many people like them. Problem free tree, so I kept it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 01:05:43 PM »
I wonder if the taste is dependent on location.  Glen, Malika, Rosigold and Keitt are among my favorites.
I discontinued Carrie (too soft, average flavor, disease problems), and Lancetilla (bad flavor).
not crazy about Nam Doc Mai (too sweet and nothing else. Slight hint of sulfur, yikes). Wife's favorite Mango and many other people like them a lot, so I kept the tree. Very pretty, trouble free tree with nice, dense foliage.
Maha, tastes like a carrot, but many people like them. Problem free tree, so I kept it.

If your Maha tastes like a carrot, its most likely an issue with harvesting.

- Rob

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2021, 03:22:01 PM »
Gotta second robs response here,
I’ve had mahas that we’re over ripened on counter or tree or dropped that we’re very carroty, ame I’ve had mahas that were just barely soft to touch that were phenomenal and complex.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2021, 05:42:27 PM »

This happened to me this year with Pickering as well! But I remember liking it in prior years. Like I could barely stand to eat the fruit this year which is so weird because I tasted the fruit before planting it!

FLnative

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2021, 06:23:13 PM »

Funky flip flops?  I can't even imagine that!  (My Pickering tasted good to 95 out of 100 people.)

Abe, maybe captaining all those fishing charters with guests dripping sun screen on the deck* as they butter up, and having foul flipflops by the end of the day has a negatively impacted your coconut oriented taste buds?  I love the flavor of a good coconut cream mango. The absent of any fiber is great too. Agree with the other negative propagation issues.

As for Pickering, in my yard are above average flavor wise this year. Everyone that tasted liked them, + tasted coconut flavor particularly close to the skin.

* That slippery sunscreen on the deck always gives me headaches with guests aboard
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:27:57 PM by FLnative »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2021, 07:42:48 PM »

Abe, maybe captaining all those fishing charters with guests dripping sun screen on the deck* as they butter up, and having foul flipflops by the end of the day has a negatively impacted your coconut oriented taste buds?  I love the flavor of a good coconut cream mango. The absent of any fiber is great too. Agree with the other negative propagation issues.

As for Pickering, in my yard are above average flavor wise this year. Everyone that tasted liked them, + tasted coconut flavor particularly close to the skin.

* That slippery sunscreen on the deck always gives me headaches with guests aboard

Sorry, I agree and posted the same thing.  Hawaiian Tropic all the way.  Blech!
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2021, 08:53:35 PM »

Sorry, I agree and posted the same thing.  Hawaiian Tropic all the way.  Blech!
I've gotten sunblock in my eyes the few times I actually wore any but I've never tasted it. Maybe you guys should try washing hands before you get into the picnic basket lol.
Is Hawaiian Tropic edible? If so I like coconut cream so much I may by some to try on ice cream.😀
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2021, 08:57:41 PM »

Just my opinion.

People all over hype up Pickering, but dude, as far as flavor, its nothing to write home about. I mean if you’ve only had average mangos your whole Life and then Pickering you MIGHT say “oh, that’s different”. Let’s be honest, it’s only hyped up for its ease to grow with its awesome disease resistance  and ease of fruiting at a young age and small size. It’s got great qualities but Flavor is not what sets it apart.

On a lighter note hoping I didn’t offend you, IF you want to try coconut close to the skin in an excellent mango: try “Karen Michelle”. It blows Pickering out of the water. Also for coconut goodness, “Sugarloaf/E4” is incredible and a well ripened “Pineapple Pleasure has a wonderful coconut  flavor.
HOWEVER, Coconut cream is just a shadow of the two I mentioned. I cannot speak to M4 but I can tell you “pina colada” was not super impressive to me and I think sugarloaf or pineapple pleasure deserved that name instead.

As for my life on the High seas, i actually enjoy running My Boat in Haulover Inlet on a sunny afternoon and a south wind and smelling the Hawaiian tropic in the air, simmering off sun- baking tourists, but that smell or taste doesnt belong in a mango IMO.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2021, 09:22:27 PM »

Just my opinion.

People all over hype up Pickering, but dude, as far as flavor, its nothing to write home about. I mean if you’ve only had average mangos your whole Life and then Pickering you MIGHT say “oh, that’s different”. Let’s be honest, it’s only hyped up for its ease to grow with its awesome disease resistance  and ease of fruiting at a young age and small size. It’s got great qualities but Flavor is not what sets it apart.

On a lighter note hoping I didn’t offend you, IF you want to try coconut close to the skin in an excellent mango: try “Karen Michelle”. It blows Pickering out of the water. Also for coconut goodness, “Sugarloaf/E4” is incredible and a well ripened “Pineapple Pleasure has a wonderful coconut  flavor.
HOWEVER, Coconut cream is just a shadow of the two I mentioned. I cannot speak to M4 but I can tell you “pina colada” was not super impressive to me and I think sugarloaf or pineapple pleasure deserved that name instead.

As for my life on the High seas, i actually enjoy running My Boat in Haulover Inlet on a sunny afternoon and a south wind and smelling the Hawaiian tropic in the air, simmering off sun- baking tourists, but that smell or taste doesnt belong in a mango IMO.
I hope you're right about E4.My tree is about 5 feet tall I'm hoping it grows to six or seven over the summer. It had a lot of fruit that I pruned off for a maximum growth. This will be its third year in the ground. As for pickering  if what you say is true. I may put it in the freezer and use it as a juice mango. This is the first year that it is loaded with fruit

My wife is peeling the Karen Michelle as we speak. I never said anything to her. She just tasted it and says it is a very good mango and it taste like coconut. More of a subtle coconut flavor.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:22:24 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

FLnative

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2021, 09:48:48 PM »

Just my opinion.

No offence taken, nevertheless nowhere did I say Pickering was top tier mango, and that's a big step from "FUNKY FLIP FLOPS" taste. Can't comment on the latter taste and agree HT sunscreen is best not ingested. Wasn't trying to offend you, just making light of what appeared to be a dislike of mangos with any coconut flavor.   

I grew up in the area with Haulover being like my backyard, and could tell you some old tales.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:51:33 PM by FLnative »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk